• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Extra Races-Oriented Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Ok, so I made this map featuring extra races other than the standard four. I worked out the triggering and it worked out fine: You can choose the standard races, along with the new ones through a dialog box... But that's beside the point.

My point is, whenever I start the game with the new race (I only have one to this point), after a while it says that you need to build a town hall/necropolis/etc. or elese I get revealed to enemy. I just cannot understand this because, I classified the primary structure to Town Hall (along with Undead, and Mechanical since it's an undead type of race). I even tried changing a non-custom unit to its settings to no avail. I even tried triggers: Add Classification -> Town hall, and it still doesn't work. :emote_sad:

So please, Hive Workshop, pimp my map!... I mean help me out...

P.S. Since I cannot find an alternate way to start with a Haunted Goldmine, I set the triggers to spawn standard Undead starting units, and then the REPLACE trigger to replace the acolytes and ghoul with the new race's starting units. I tried to not use the replace trigger and just spawn the starting units with the CREATE trigger (No Haunted Goldmine), but it still doesn't work.

Level 21
Step 1) Make a 5th race (just make alot of custom units, buildings, techs, abilities and link em all together
Step 2) At the start of your map, make every player able to choose a race from a list. For example, create a dialog box at map initialization.
Step 3) Play and play and play, then balance things out.

Don't forget to change gameplay constants to avoid *bugs* such as the one Saint Stan encountered.

Step 2 is easy, step 3 is time consuming, and Step 1 is the most tricky thing to do... You must have a good idea (copying some neutral hostiles and calling it a 5th race isn't exactly what I call a good idea), then you're going to think out yuor techtree, tiers, units, heroes, etc. etc.
I've tried this, and the problem was not ideas, my problem was time... (oh yeah and I also started 4 additional races instead of finishing them 1 by 1...)

Level 5
that would be so awesome....seems impossible to do, but awesome.
how u actually do the dialog box for race choice? can i direct me 2 a tut, or just tell me?

Level 21
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/dialogs.php

at the "Dialog - a dialog button is clicked for myDialog" trigger, you must change the action into
unit - create 1 town hall at starting location of Player clicking dialog button
Unit - create 5 peasants " " "

those units should ofcourse change depending on what dialog button you clicked.
You could "optimize" the system by pauseing the last created units, and unpause them when all playing players have chosen a race so every player starts at the same moment. Don't forget to remove "enforce victory conditions" from Map initialization and Enforce those victory conditions after all players have chosen their race.

Status
Not open for further replies.