Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Exporting models from Blender using the MDL exporter plugin

Discussion in '3D Modeling Tutorials' started by Fingolfin, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Antinous

Antinous

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yeah, thanks, I just did it and it works.
    But I still have to create/write the Global Sequence, Texture Animation & stuff myself, while apparently the MDL-exporter has a functionality to do that itself, so I'm still interested in knowing how to setup that in Blender.

2. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What version of blender are you using?

3. Antinous

Antinous

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    2.82, and I downloaded the 2.8 branch of your addon.

4. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Om the previous page i attached a blend file of a BMP tank. It should have animated tracks using texture animation. Try and see if it works for you, otherwise i will have to test whether 2.82 broke things. I know that the mapping node recently had changes made to it.

5. Antinous

Antinous

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Oh my !
    Works perfectly with 2.8, the new mapping node of 2.82 isn't recognised by your addon (2.8 only partially recognise it : values are kept, but ignore the node when running the animation).
    I should have thought of it myself, sorry for bothering you.

6. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No problem, thank you for notifying me about this issue!

7. Victel

Victel

Resources:
    Resources:
    Does this tool work with the latest version of the editor? Is there anything specifically I need to do with the models so they appear correctly in the game?

8. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It should. If you are using custom textures, you need to make sure that their import path matchens what you've set in the MDL layer of the material.

If you are having issues feel free to send me the model and I can have a look at it.

9. Victel

Victel

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm having issues installing the plugin. I have the latest blender, I extract the export mdl file and add it as a zip then select it in blender and nothing happens. I receive no error message and it's not listed in my addons list.

10. Fang

Fang

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm afraid the .mdl in blender, it's not the same as in Warcraft 3.

11. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There used to be one for Quake .mdl models, but it is gone in 2.8. The one in this thread is obviously for warcraft though.

After downloading the github project and unzipping it, you should have a folder called MDLExporter. Inside is another folder called mdl_exporter, one called images, a license file and a readme file. You want to take the file called mdl_exporter and add that to a zip (right click>send to>compressed folder). The resulting zip file is what you select when installing the addon (also try searching for "mdl" in the addon search window). You might need to restart blender before it appears in the list. If it still doesn't work, try installing blender 2.8 instead of the most recent 2.82.

12. Victel

Victel

Resources:
    Resources:
    The file is called export_mdl not mdl_exporter and I tried that already and nothing happens. By nothing I mean nothing. I add it and the dialog disappears back top the screen where I select preferences.

13. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    And if you search the addons, it doesn't appear?

This is how it looks for me in Blender 2.81:

AddOns.jpg

14. Victel

Victel

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's Greyed out and I can't enable it.

15. WarGoose

WarGoose

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi, I know that more than 2 years have passed, but I have a problem with exporting animations.
    I added two animations to my model. However, after loading the model in mdlvs I found that my animations were gone. In addition, the model took the initial pose from the second animation. I saw the same picture in the game itself. I tried to create animations in different ways, but still nothing worked. Can you help me? Could there be a problem because I use Blender version 2.79 or because of that I use Warcraft version 1.26.
    Can you make a video tutorial or guide about creating and exporting animations? It will help everyone!
    Sorry for my bad english and russian text on screenshots
    In any case, many thanks for your plugin, this is the best I could find.

Attached Files:

16. Drekthan

Drekthan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Fingolfin » Thank you for your amazing work with plugin for blender. In 3D modeling i am just newbie, but i want to ask about animations. It's better for units, buidings, tree to make your own animation in blender and then export to mdl file or use War3 Model Editor and import new model to old original.

I ripped some models from reforged and transform them for old warcraft 3 without animation of course. Thanks for your answer.

17. sonphamthe11H

sonphamthe11H

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Fingolfin could u add tutorial for effect editing?

18. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I recommend that you look at some of WILL THE ALLMIGHTY's tutorials, like this one. Even though it's for a different editor, the names are still exactly the same in the Blender plugin. You just create a plane, add a particle emitter to it, and then edit the values in the MDL Particle System dropdown. To animate fields, just mouse over them and press I, and it will add a keyframe for this value at the current position in the animation timeline. There are some presets available that you can look at for reference.

I'd say it's easier to make new animations (building animations are usually pretty simple), but that of course takes time and requires some skill. If you want to transfer animations from another building, then you need to create bones with the same names as in the model with the animations (and preferably in the same positions), and then after exporting you can use a tool such as Oinkerwinkle's Animation Transfer to transfer over the animations. It's a "hit or miss" approach though, animations were made to fit their model and sometimes they won't look as good on others.

19. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hey man, sorry for the late response! The problem with your model is that the pose on the first frame is used as the rest pose. Ideally, the exporter would extract the rest pose from the armature, but i haven't figured out how to do that yet, so currently it uses frame 0. Whenever you start animating a model, make sure that you add keyframes for rotation, location, and scale on frame 1 (or frame 0) before you start. You also need to add timeline markers to denote your animations. I'm attaching a fixed version of the model to this post.

It works for me with 2.91. Make sure that you are downloading the correct branch from github and that you have zipped it like it says in the instructions.

Attached Files:

20. prizraknadache

prizraknadache

Resources:
    Resources:
    What i am doing wrong? Latest Blender (even with 2.80 blender cause same issuue)[​IMG]
    This appear when i try export model with an animation from BFME (attached video). Some animations exported fine, but now i am started to see this error. Anyone know what is this and might be it can be fixed?

Attached Files: