• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Erquatia Needs a Story!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey Hive! My current project Erquatia is going quite well. But the basis for the map is incomplete. It needs a story! My writing/literature skills aren't extremely good, but I know several of you have the ability to create lush written lore.

I would ask a workshop, but I want the entirety of the Hive to be able to contribute. I want everyone to be able to have a go, whether they are five-year old veterans or newbies on the Hive!

The perimeters for the story are simply:
- Must be at least three paragraphs long. There is no limit to overall length.
- Must have something to do with the game: the game is an RPG where the hero basically has to find the corrupted King and slay him to stop the enemy from gathering an army (read on).
- Must relate to at least one character (you need a character in your story.)

Since Erquatia has no story currently, only land formations and some characters, I need YOU to make it. Of course, I can give you the base, but you need to build the characters and the setting.

First of all, you should know that Erquatia has never been a peaceful continent. There are hundreds of foes always attacking the humans. Among these are beasts, rebels and viscous monsters. Every attack, however, the humans have been able to ward off since their enemies are never organized in groups. Recently, about a year prior to the actual game, the King fell ill to his own sadness and inability to act in times of war. His spirit faltered and weakened, allowing for a great force of evil to corrupt him from the inside. A demon, controlling his body and growing in power. The humans locked him up inside a heavily guarded crypt, but recently the monsters have been stirring even more ...

That's all I've got so far. It's up to YOU to decide what the rest of the game will be about, what lore takes place, and what characters inhabit OUR world.

The best story's owner will get prominent credit in my map, and reputation. Can't wait to see what you come up with, Hive.

Level 3
The land of Erquatia fell into despair once the King became corrupted. Something within him caused him to fall ill, weakening his spirit enough for a Demon to take control of him. Locked in a guarded crypt, the King could do no harm. But the monsters began to get smarter, more organized. Towns were pillaged by groups of goblins invading.

Much of the land fell into disrepair. The monsters roamed the land, attacking in groups and destroying most villages found. The demon corrupting the King caused it all. A portal opened in the East, by the edge of Erquatia. The demon came through and ruined the land. There was no hope.

Now, a Hero has arrived, a year after the King has gone corrupt. The original portal has disappeared, but the demon remained within the King's soul. With several factions scattered around the land, the Hero must make choices. He could become a strong warrior, a powerful mage, an agile archer. The Factions all accept the Hero in to their groups, but he cannot waste time. If he does not hurry and reach the King and end his corrupted existence to destroy the demon within, the enemy will gather an army much too powerful to be stopped by any mortal man or woman.

This is the first story I've ever created and I'm awfully tired, so I hope you like it!

Level 3
For a first story, for being awfully tired, this is an excellent piece! In fact, I would've accepted it as great whether you were new to storywriting, tired or not!

Thank you for such an artistic piece of creative writing. The depth of the destruction and chaos is introduced into the mind of the reader with such ... shall I say, efficiency. A great introduction to the quest.

Do you mind if I use your piece for my main post on Legacy of Erquatia? I will provide full credit, prominent for all to see. I shall leave it up until (if) you say otherwise. If you wish for it not to be used, PM me straight away and I will take it down. Not that you should have that idea, since this is a very good piece.

You will also have credit in my map. Thank you :).

EDIT: If anyone wants to expand on Arcadia's response, you are free to do so. However you are not free to copy his text without his permission.

Level 18
At the times when the humans were just little groups living in tribes, one man, greedy of power, asked help to a mage, the oldest living creature in the world. He wanted to be the king of the strongest kingdom on earth, so strong that could have been able to submit and conques erquatia, the land of the monsters, as human called them. The mage accomplished his wish, but cursing him at the same time: whether his son would have had a brother, they would have fought each othen, and when one of them would have fallen, the other one would have too, and the kingdom with them.
So the man was able to regroup all the tribes, and create his kingdom, which grew in power; but that was not enough for the greedy king. He decided to attack Erqualia. with his army he destroyed the monsters, killed all their leaders, razed their cities.. Without leaders, the monsters escaped into the forests, divided, living as nomads. Meanwhile the humans started building their cities on erquatia, and as the monsters started attacking, the walls were built taller, and as the time passed, Erquitia became bigger and bigger, forgetting the land where they came from.

Trhought the ages many kings ruled the kingdom, and all of them chosed to have only one chils, beware of the curse of the First King. But, one day, something happened: two twins were born. The king decided immediatly to separate them; one would have beeing educated to become king, while the other one would have passed his days in jail, guarded. But he was able, during a heavy monsters' attack, to escape, and ran away from the kindom, and travelling for three weeks, he found a place where surprisingly other humans lived: it was the Old Earth, the native land of humans. Years passed, and he became the king of this new people, getting ready to attack erquatia, with the help of the monsters whichwith he had allieted, asking for revenge. But in the meanwhile his brother became king, and beeing the only one of the two knowing about the curse, he started having fear.. he slowly went crazy, and only wanted to preservate himself. So he closed himself in a Crypt, guarded by his best troops and generals, leaving the kingdom unorganized, with only few soldiers protecting it, while the monsters started beeing more organizated as the king of the Old Earth controlled them.

Erquatia is in danger, and the Prince is ready to give his life to save it: he will travel to the Old Earth to kill his uncle, and free his people from the conflict with the monsters.

Now for the rest of the story I was thinking something like: he will travel to the old earth, try to kill his uncle, but he wont be able to do so, the only chanche he has is to kill his father, so he plans to kill him, so that his uncle will die as well, leaving the humans of the Old Earth without a leader. Erquatia however will still fall for cause of the monsters, but the prince will be able to bring his people to the old land, where he'll have to make the old earth humans trust him, so that he'll be able to build a new kingdom there. (of course the curse is broken when his dad and his uncle die)

That's all I can give at 4 in the morning, sorry if there are grammar mistakes, english is not my native language
Hope I helped thought

Level 3
Thank you, z.ky. I will certainly use this piece also.

Your English is great and there aren't too much grammar mistakes. I can understand that English isn't your native language.

Thank you once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.