• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Engineer

Level 19
Engineer

Introduction:
The Dwarfs first discovered the secrets of black powder, and no one can rival them when it comes to putting it to good use. Armed with guns, grenades, and gadgets, the Engineers often prepare traps and ambushes throughout the battlefield before the fight begins, and then quickly dispatch any surviving enemies from a safe distance.

An explosion is the ultimate form of mechanical advantage, so it's no big surprise that the skills of the Dwarf Engineer extend well along these lines. From guns to grenades, he is a deadly ranged combatant who will pelt you with lead from afar and blast you to bits as you close in. He excels when fighting multiple opponents, as many of his explosive attacks are capable of devastating enemies who pack too closely together. The Engineer offers an outstanding blend of flexible firepower which makes him a truly deadly and clever combatant.

engineerf.jpg

Rifle Heath:
As a Rifleman an Engineer is very familiar with the mastery of guns and rifles. There for the Engineer has a very powerful rifle with many gadgets to increase the damage of his rifle by a lot. Because of this his rifle can get fired very rapidly but with a bad side. His rifle can overheat; causing it to block for 4 seconds silencing the Engineer for the duration. Every time the Engineer shoots his rifle will get heathen up. Therefor an Engineer has to be very careful with the heath of his weapon.

Playing as an Engineer:
As an Engineer, the heart of your job is to rain destruction on the heads of your enemies. Like other ranged combatants, you prefer to avoid the frontline. However, unlike most other ranged classes, you reach the peak of your power at a relatively short range. You must maneuver wisely, positioning yourself so that you can strike at your target without exposing yourself to their attacks. You are a capable melee fighter, and you can strike at extended range, but your best attacks � grenades, blunderbusses, artillery bombardment, and more � require a closer position.

Playing against an Engineer:
Perhaps the best way to deal with an Engineer is to fight him from afar. If you can effectively out damage him at long range he will be at a serious disadvantage. If you must get in close, be prepared to kill him quickly. Unlike most other ranged attackers, the Engineer loses little in terms of effectiveness in close quarters. He is certainly more vulnerable than a career designed to engage in melee, but this vulnerability does not make him easy meat.

Abilities:

Rifle Blast
1614767071a01a6f0d78c65860072be9c92a58d3.jpg

Cooldown: 3.00 seconds
Cast: Instant (autocast)
Range: 700 Range
Cost: 20 Energy
Description: A strong rifle shot; dealing agi*2.2 physical damage. Rifle Blast has an increased critical strike chance based on the distance between the Engineer and the target. If the Engineer is close; the critical strike chance will be based on his intelligence. If the Engineer is far away; the critical strike chance will be based on his agility.
Self-Aiming Turret
161476717bd0d699664b13d3b2fd49744237d7ae.jpg

Cooldown: 20.00 seconds
Cast: 1.00 cast
Range: 300 Range
Cost: 45 Energy
Description: Constructs a self-aiming turret to attack your opponents; firing volleys of 3 bullets every 2 seconds that deal Agi*0.28 + Int*0.17 physical damage per shot. The turret has a 600 attack range and lasts for 20 seconds of until destroyed. Several talents can upgrade Self-Aiming Turrets into Flamethrowers or even healing Water Sprinklers.

Different types of upgrades:
Flamethrower, Gas Machine, Water Sprinkler and Lightning Rod.
Dwarven Landmine
161476697905bb858438f05db3fdf67accb3f848.jpg

Cooldown: 8 seconds
Cast: instant
Range: -
Cost: 25 Energy
Description: Places a Dwarven Landmine in front of the Engineer. Enemies that step on it will cause it to explode; dealing Int*2.4 fire damage to nearby enemies while slowing their movement speed by 75% for 3 seconds. The Dwarven Landmines last for 24 seconds and become active after 2 seconds. An Engineer can only use a maximum of 3 Dwarven Landmines at a time.
The abilities above are just a part of the hero's abilities and might change as well.

Last edited:
Level 19
Been working on this class for a while now.
This is my new favorite class.
Finished 5 of his abilities now, and there are already so many cool combinations possible.

Being able to gear with high agility to focus on ranged single target abilities and high turret damage while on the other hand having the option to gear with high intelligence gear to focus on more situational combat with traps and heavy area of effect bombs.

The Engineer also has various static creations like the dwarven landmines and turrets which make him very powerful if he controls the area or stands still.

If this class is done, I will surely post a movie of it because I got to say that I personally love this class already.

Level 12
This looks pretty awesome. I'm assuming AGI hero?

Maybe you could update the first post. From your description, I was expecting explosions, explosions and explosions, but technically, I only see one exploding skill.

And the Self-Aiming Turret, what are the differences between all the upgrades?

Level 19
Every class in Oakwood will have more then just three skills.
They will have a spellbook with 11 different class skills, 1 revive skill and up to 10 different passives that can be obtained through talents.
In the first post you will see 3 of his class skills as an example. But he still has 8 others in the spellbook. Think about; Tripwire, Acid Bomb, Blunderblast and more.
The Engineer is more about gadgets. Most of them can explode, but ofc not all of them.

The Engineer's attacks are based on Agility. There for all the abilities he does with his gun are based on Agility. But all his abilities that are based on engineering will do intelligence based damage. So players will have the choice to gear Agility, Intelligence or a mix of the two. If a player wants to shine in Area of Effect damage he might want to go for intelligence to increase the damage of the land mines and various bombs. If a player wants to shine in single target damage he will have to focus on Agility to increase the damage of his rifle.

About the turret. An Engineer will be able to create those Self-Aiming Turrets. If he has selected the right talents for it, he will then be able to click the Turret and let it upgrade to various improvements like the Flamethrower. The Flamethrower doesn't just fire missiles, instead he spews fire in a cone; dealing area of effect damage based on intelligence. The Gas Machine won't shoot bullets; instead it will let out toxic gas that will weaken nearby enemies while dealing intelligence based damage over time. The Water Sprinkler and Lightning Rod do other things, but I'm not going to reveal that yet.

Level 19
Those gadgets are skills. Every class will only have 6 item slots per bag, but that means only 6 that can be used in his inventory. It would be a bit unfair if the Engineer would have to save item space just to be able to use skills.
Currently it looks like it the Engineer will have: 4 gun abilities, 4 AoE dmg abilities like the landmine and other bombs and 3 Utility gadgets like Tripwire per example.

Level 19
I'm working on the Engineer quite much. Would be great to see what you think of the abilities I currently have. Let me know what you think of it.

Rifle Blast (3.00 cooldown, autocast)
A normal shot dealing Agility based damage.

Dwarven Landmine (8.00 cooldown, 1.00 cast time)
A landmine with a 24.00sec duration that will explode on contact dealing Intelligence based damage and causing a 3sec 75% movespeed slow.
[Talent idea's: Removed cooldown but a maximum of 3 bombs.]

Blunderblast (9.00 cooldown, 0,75 cast time)
A heavy rifleblast pushing the Engineer backwards after shooting; dealing high Agility based damage and stuns the target.
[Talent idea's: Instant cast, but 0,75 shorter stun.]

Acid Grenade (12.00 cooldown)
Throws a grenade towards the selected area that will result into a poison cloud; dealing Intelligence based damage over time to units in the area.
[Talent idea's: reduces armor of targets hit]

Self-Aiming Turret (30.00 cooldown, 1sec cast time)
Constructs a Turret at the targeted location. The turret's attack damage is based on the Engineer's Intelligence and Agility. The Turret will last for 1 minute but only one turret can be up at any time.
[Talent idea's: Various upgrades like Flamethrowing Turret, Mist-spreading Turret or a Flare coming out of the Turret that will reveal invisible units.]

Cooling Water (45.00 cooldown)
Resets the Engineer's rifle heath to 0 while generating 90 energy.
[Talent idea's: generates double the amount of energy but over 25 seconds instead of instantly]

Tripwire (45.00 cooldown)
Creates Tripwire between the 2 selected locations for 8 seconds. Units that cross it will take Intelligence based damage and get slowed by 75% for 2 seconds.
[Talent idea's: A small mini-stun whenever enemies cross it]

Flame Grenade (18.00)
Throws a Flame Grenade towards the area; dealing Intelligence based damage on impact. Whenever the grenade hits the ground it will split into 2 smaller grenades that will also explode on impact.
[Talent idea's: Impact of the first Grenade leaves fire on the ground]

Flashbomb (45.00)
Throws down a flashbomb at the selected area resulting in a big flash and a huge bang. Enemy units nearby will be silenced and blinded for 3 seconds.
(Blind means that the sight range is reduced to 0)

Heavy Machinery (90.00)
Constructs 2 turrets right behind the Engineer. While channeling the Engineer and the 2 turrets will shoot targets in a cone for heavy Agility based damage while knocking back targets that get hit. After the 5sec channel is over the turrets will disappear again.
[Talent Idea's: No longer channeled, instead it summons the turrets that will do this effect (with lower damage) for 5 seconds.]

Time Grenade (90.00)
Throws a Time Grenade towards the selected area; freezing allies and enemies in the area around it for 6 seconds.

Level 17
Hm, thematically I don't agree with Cooling Water. It sounds more like a mage skill, so perhaps rename it to something more else, perhaps some kind of ale? That's pretty dwarven.

Level 19
Hm, thematically I don't agree with Cooling Water. It sounds more like a mage skill, so perhaps rename it to something more else, perhaps some kind of ale? That's pretty dwarven.

But how would an ale cool down the rifle?:p

ndh

ndh

Level 8
The land mine and the turret icons are from Warhammer Online -_-

In fact, almost 90% of your icons are from that game...
might want to give credit to where credit is do, just to be on the safe side of things.

You do realize that you have taken alot of Warhammer Onlines classes and skills and mixed them all up to make it your "own". I would suggest a lot of changes, as Warhammer Online is still a popular MMO, I'm afraid you guys might run into some legal issues if they find out. We're talking about EA after all...

Last edited:
Level 19
I already posted somewere that I used some WAR icons. I got the icons from one of the forum moderators from the official WAR forums. He posted them so people could use them for anything they wanted at a fanforum. Ofc I give the right credits for everything I use. There's an entire list of credits in the map itself.

As for the idea's. They're all mine and I never intended to copy anything from the WAR gameplay. Every class and ability idea is from myself.
I mean, if I use a chain lightning spell do you want me to credit blizzard then for coming up with the idea? Some spells are too basic to say where they come from. It might be that I got some spells that are in WAR too, but tell me which one's that are and you'll most likely find out that they're too basic to be restricted to just one game.

Creativity and originality are two very important things for me. It's nearly impossible to come up with totally new idea's in a fantasy (rpg) game nowadays. Look around and see what has been done already in games like WoW, Guild Wars, Diablo, AoS-type games, Warhammer Online, Aion or Lotro.

I really don't see the point in questioning someone's spell/class idea's because it might've been done before. Noawadays f you see a hunter/ranger class that can tame animals, nobody starts shouting that it's ripped from WoW, because it became too common. But I guess because I'm using a turret for the Engineer it's ripped from WAR... Or Guild Wars?... Or Heroes of Newert...? Well, I usually make idea's based on the available models, and when I came around the turret model I thought it would be a great fit for the Engineer.

ndh

ndh

Level 8
I was just worried, i really like this idea and would love to see it finished. Good luck :goblin_good_job:

Edit: The class i was most worried about was the class that has the witch hunter model and uses rightchous fury. And the class that uses the five combo points (this is almost identcial to the actual witch hunter).

Level 19
Alright. Sorry, I thought you questioned the stuff I made.
Misunderstood your post then.;-)
Working like a madman for the past 4 days already. 10 hours a day on this map.
Getting close to the first beta!