• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Edit notification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When people post a message and then later add something to the post (edit), it often goes unnoticed if no one has posted afterwards.
I guess this is mainly a problem in the help forums where a problem seems to be solved, but it turns out it's not.
If the people helping with a particular problem and last message says "Thanks guys kiss kiss kiss" they will most likely not check it again.
The thread starter must then wait 48 hours before bumping the thread for people to notice the last edit.

So I am wondering if it is possible to perhaps add a new post icon that shows if the last post in a thread has been edited, or something along those lines?

Ah soo,
this must be the cause of awkward situations where additionary explaination i added later to an post gets ignored only to be retold at a later post by a different dude, ok.
I was in the presumption when subscribing to a thread you would get notification for post edits too.

Hehe. No it's not just you who are left out Eagle ;) Don't worry.

If people have posted in the thread since the first post, I would usually post new information as a new post.

But doesn't that count as double posting? I know it's nitpicking but still.
If you take my initial example where the user right after saying thanks, and thereby sorta close the thread, finds out it didn't work anyway, or in a different way than he expected.

Anyway. Since it's not possible I guess there is no reason to keep talking about it.

Level 16
I dont think its really a double posting rules as ralle says such as post #1 gets updated, and post #2 has a reply, while Post #3 is you informing the thread reader Post 1 was updated. If if later on a week goes by and you inform another update at Post#4. Lots of threads do this. Some threads have only ONE poster, but you can tell which threads are update threads and which are deliberate double and tripple poster because they are wanting someone to reply back.

also don't forget you can also Edit you last post by deleting it and making a new one and it will update the thread. and example would be Post #4 i talked about above. The user could just Delete Post #3, and then post. This removes any "Double posting"

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
This is a pertinent issue; I for one have been stymied more than once about deciding whether or not to Edit or simply re-(double, sometimes)-post; an Edit usually makes more sense or can clarify intent, but few are likely to go back & re-read earlier posts to check for an Edit. :<

I'm not sure, though, what the best solution would be, since a new icon might be too much work to implement into the system (<- good question), and having it show up as "fresh" in your Subscriptions List might become a bit cumbersome (notified for every Edit as well as Post? Hmmm...).

I am open to solutions. It's not a massive problem, but it has affected me enough for me to care about it getting fixed.

Level 16
This is a pertinent issue; I for one have been stymied more than once about deciding whether or not to Edit or simply re-(double, sometimes)-post; an Edit usually makes more sense or can clarify intent, but few are likely to go back & re-read earlier posts to check for an Edit. :<
This is easily fixed:
you can also Edit you last post by deleting it and making a new one and it will update the thread.
I'm not sure, though, what the best solution would be, since a new icon might be too much work to implement into the system (<- good question), and having it show up as "fresh" in your Subscriptions List might become a bit cumbersome (notified for every Edit as well as Post? Hmmm...).

I am open to solutions. It's not a massive problem, but it has affected me enough for me to care about it getting fixed.
I dont think its a problem at all, tbh. I edit posts alot. I would hate for everyone to get a notified every time I edit it :p
maybe if I edit it once sure.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
This is easily fixed:

I dont think its a problem at all, tbh. I edit posts alot. I would hate for everyone to get a notified every time I edit it :p
maybe if I edit it once sure.
Well... The whole "delete & then re-post" thing only works if you were the last one (otherwise it won't update the thread? I think?), and only on threads (Editing is available in the Pastebin (never mind that's Wc3C) and in Visitor Messages, for example. What about those?

I too wouldn't want to bug people every time I edit. Then again, we get Subscription Notifications every time anybody posts anything on a Thread, even the most inane or miniscule thing... I've already brought up the idea of "selective subscription", where I'm only notified if certain users (say, the creator of the resource) says something.

But I digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.