• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Edge of Extinction v1.9

johannesr Presents

118973-albums5336-picture54765.jpg

Created by johannesr

Introduction:

Thorn Stormwild, once the leader of an elite sniper team, now living out the rest of his days in Deerwood,
putting his shooting skills to use as a hunter, when suddenly strange things start happening in Deerwood
one night and Thorn must come out of retirement to face this new threat.

Features:

-Lots of cinematics
-Lots of custom models/skins
-Great terrain (Screenshots attached)
-Weather System
-Ammo System
-Item Stacking System
-Bag System
*You are equipped with a bag that can extend your inventory
-Hunting system
*You can go hunting in special hunting areas to earn gold to buy better equipment.
*Normal enemies also give gold, but significantly less.
-Bayonet System
*The hunter can use his bayonet when at close range or out of ammo.

Misc. Info:

This Single player RPG is made only by me, johannesr, with the exception of models, skins and some custom spells
(Credits are under optional quests in the map). It took me about 3 years to make this, although i worked on it on and off.

118973-albums5336-picture54758.jpg

118973-albums5336-picture54757.jpg

118973-albums5336-picture54761.jpg

118973-albums5336-picture54762.jpg

118973-albums5336-picture54763.jpg

118973-albums5336-picture54756.jpg

Version 1.1
- Fixed bugs
- Reworked hunting system due to an exploit
- Added level requirements to the better weapons
- Blocked Shalis from entering hunting zones

V1.2
- Fixed Thorn's ability locations
- Cloak is now removed no matter what
- Raccoons are slightly easier to kill now
- Other small tweaks

v1.3
- Infinite money glitch fixed
- Elves now turn back to blue always
- Thorn is lvl 1 again at the start

v1.4
- Fixed some triggers not working when in bayonet mode
- Made environment slightly darker

v1.5
- Fixed a glitch with the final boss
- Minimap pings added for some quests

v1.6
- Reworked hunting mode again: now it goes into it automatically when entering zone and some other tweaks
- Added some passive icons for abilities

v1.7
- Fixed ammo drain bug
- Bag can now be used in the mine
- Hunter now has rifleman sound set ("Its hammer time!" didn't make much sense)
- Some misc. fixes

v1.8
- Fixed lots of minor bugs

v1.9
- Fixed the explorer rescue optional quest
- Bag really is removed now no matter what, prevented it from being put in the backpack

Keywords:
rpg, hunter, hunting, mutant, gun, dwarf, dwarves, elves, elders, swamp, forest, mine, cave, awesome, cool, lol, dark, invasion, unknown, alien, gun,
Contents

Edge of Extinction v1.9 (Map)

Reviews
Vengeancekael: Private Message Date: 2012/Mar/17 17:45:14 Reasons: Other: Check out the tutorials section: Tutorials Check out the Map Development Section: Map Development Section Check out the World Editor Help Zone (Trigger issues, object...
Level 8
BUG:
when i accepted the mission on getting in the crystal mines
my inventory is full so the cloak was dropped near me then i let the cloak there and get to the mines then when i gave the 5 crystals the man said "il be taking the cloak back" but the cloak is still on the floor and after that the cloak did not disapear.well look for yourself. i just put the mouse on the journal page icon as for my proof :D

Attachments

• kk.jpg
    kk.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Level 17
@killerjel1 Hmm, i'll look into it, i'd advise you to not use the cloak as it might create bugs with the map.

@maddeem Lol, you're supposed to use torches or a lantern in the cave area, not having ion cannon is not a big deal as it's a dummy item anyway.

Level 8
BUG or maybe an ERROR:

sorry for double posting but.really? at the start of the game,should i be really be lvl 20 not lvl1?or is it just like that,i mean did you actually made it to be like that,anyways this is v1.2
now i have a reason why not to play this map.i tried to restart the game but it is still the same.
please fix this As Soon As Possible (ASAP) you better make the v1.3

Attachments

• Realy.jpg
    Realy.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 101

yt_

yt_

Level 2
I'm trying new version and... lvl 20 at the beginning of the game? well it's a major bug. i'll review the previous version.

1.Farming here is so easy, at racoon hunting ground just call your pet or Shalis to come and patrol then grinding there for a couple of minute.
2.Is there really 4 explosive barrel there? i can't find it :( just 3/4
3.I can't finish the potion for treant at swamp. i've found the ingredient, but what waterfall? i don't get it, i tried go near to waterfall then nothing happened.
4.Weather bug, doesn't fit.
5.After finished guardian test, i go to captain, after cinematic the weather is snow(normal). after cinematic, i go near captain again then cinematic happened again, and this time my screen was white, i can't see anything. can't end the quest.
6.When i was to free Shalis. after i fulfill all the rituals, shalis was lay down on the floor <invulnerable> can't move. i was continue the mission to kill the queen, alone. then i stuck at how to kill the queen without Shalis T.T

I want to give you an SS but my computer was formatted yesterday. i hope that you can fix the bug and error. sorry if my english bad.

Level 17
Damn im stupid -_- i was testing something and forgot to change the level back... Fixed now

@yt Are you sure you could call your pet and let Shalis there? Those shouldn't work, there's triggers blocking Shalis and Call Pet should be removed when hunting mode is on...
2. Yes
3. Did you have the venom and empty vial in same inventory?
4. I dont understand
5. Wth snow? Are you sure it was snow and not rain or smth? That cinematic should also not happen again cuz the trigger is turned off after its done :/
6. This is fixed in new version

Level 8
BUG:

when i completed rescuing the elves i have gone to the elven base near the giant squid then the druid of the claw and 2 archers are still mine
even until i killed the squid or even when i got to the elders.
i knew this was a bug because when i restarted the game and played it
and got to the elven encampment and accepted the quest, i got no more allies that i can control to be able to aid me in battle.
No Picture because at first i thought it was normal :p

yt_

yt_

Level 2
@johannesr : hmm, yes, i'm pretty sure, i hunt there with shalis. yes i've it in my invent. lol it's fog, not snow, sorry.

okay, now i'll play the new version

update : lol. i found a glitch. when i buy weapon <mine was lvl 9 requirement> and i was lvl 2. it says you need to be lvl 9 to use weapon, then dropped. my gold +1400 then i pick it up again. loop for infinite money :ogre_hurrhurr:
now animals at special zones are considered as air units, good.

How i can hire elite guard/warrior/rifleman?

Last edited:
Level 17
Ok new version, fixed the stuff from above comments.
They're air units because it was the only way to make them unkillable without hunting mode.
The unit hiring was just something i had forgot to take out, so you can't.

Level 5
hi- played this map again and encoutered too many bugs =(
1. i didnt get this quest: "find the researcher" cause i didnt kill the "venomancers" with the snipers -> whole game confusing at this point -> didnt get this superbomb. -> they didnt establish a camp in the mine, and many other things due to this!!
2. at the point to rescue shalis i accidently put the "crystal" from this geomancer in the altar -> it worked, but when i killed the demon for the artefact quest started again. woke up shalis: she "slides" from this point but doesnt "run" anymore!
3. before shalis dies, the the quest "through the swaps" doesnt finish (find explosives)
...and many other things concerning completing quests doesnt work

good luck =)

Level 5
ah and one last thing: when i bought the gun for 1400 bucks and the required ammo typ II i couldnt shoot -> when i aimed one enemy the ammo ran out like about 15ammo per second but no one hit =/ its a pity

Level 17
@yogiman what do you mean you didnt kill the venomancers? how can you not kill them when theyre in your face attacking you?

The ammo drain bug is a mystery to me, i couldn't understand why it happens. There is a way to fix it ingame tho: Drop rifle, attack something, pick up rifle. (This is also written in the Bugfixes optional quest)

Level 5
yes - thats what i meant! somehow they didnt attack me, may i made a detour through some trees =) first time i played this map they did attack me, but this time they attacked me after i encountered the "weapon ingenuer" and so on..
concerning this ammo issue, im sorry not reading the bugfixes =/

..thanks for making this map anyways! blessings

Level 8
hahaha :D

ok the truth is he went to the cave alone (i said it like that cause the soldiers and towers died and there were so many monsters)
so i ran like a coward with low health
But when he woke up from Death itself he died again,and again,and again,and a...g...a...i...n.
like this
in games you really must do everything possible

Last edited:
Level 1
Hello!
I really liked your map, and would like to provide some feedback. Sorry if some of these have already been mentioned, I didn't read all the six pages.
1) Sometimes it was really hard to find where do I need to go for a quest, for instance after the 'First Battle' quest, I wasted at least 15 mins trying to get into the Crystal Mine, where you had to sneak in. I think you should make some objectives more clear.
2) There was some trouble with the stacking system, it only allowed stacking a picked up/bought item, if I had a free inventory space.
3) I think you should make triggers to remove the no longer necessary quest items, I kept my moon key, or whatever it was for a very long time, I couldn't know, if I'll need it again
4) I think you should also make selection circles disappear in cinematics, and stop any given command to your units. The last one is not just because it'd look better, but before the queen's cinematic, I ordered Thorn and Shalis really close to the queen, so during the cinematic, they attacked her, the queen burrowed, then unburrowed as a crypt fiend looking stuff, and died from one shot.
5) When you had to escape from the mine before it collapsed, at the first few tries it was really hard for me, I couldn't find my way out. But if I just clicked on the minimap to the place, where I've entered, then I could just lean back and watch how Thorn and Shalis escaped
6) When I rescued Shalis, her animation was frozen, and she was just sliding around. This got fixed by casting a spell (I don't remember which one)
7) Sorry for this, maybe it distrubes only me, but there were some ugly typos, like "its" without the ' and stuff like that.

Anyway, it was an excellent map, I really enjoyed playing it. :)

Level 17
1) Yeah i should add a minimap ping for quests.
2) I'll see if i can get a better system
3) That's one of those things I, as the creator, don't think about because i know i don't need the key anymore :p
4) Hmm that queen thing is weird, i'll look into it
5) Damn lol that defeats the purpose of the maze, i'll see if i can work around this'
6) Dont know why it stays that way :/
7) I'll look the text over

Thanks for the feedback and i'm glad you enjoyed the map :)

Level 2
Hey guys I need help! I cannot find the last explosive barrel for the optional quest. I found 3 in the city, and apparently the other one is in the crystal mine. But I cannot get back into the crystal mine; the door will not open.

What shall I do? Any help please?

Level 1
For me, the 4th barrel wasn't in the crystal mine itself, but on the way leading to it.

Level 2
By the way I think I found a bug. You know that guy who gives you locations to treasure chests? Well the second time he gives you the location, and you get a "spider silk broach", it is supposed to let you ensnare enemies. However, that ability does not work on anything I've encountered so far...lol

By the way, I found the final barrel of explosives after reading your guys comments about 'on the way to crystal mines behind the fallen log'. I cant believe I missed it before.

I loaded my game and can play from there, phew... thanks a lot :)

Also, another bug. In the swamp area, I used the ability shadow run (with Shalis) and then she appeared at the very center of the map right next to a "mysterious stone".

Last edited: