• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dummy unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I am making a spell for my map, and I need to make a dummy unit. And I don't know how to make a unit unselectable, like an doodad, and still have a model, the shockwave model.

Can anyone point me to a good tutorial or just tell me right here. +rep for help!

Level 5
Quick Bump.

I can make my unit unselectable, how do I make him completely invisible / ie. no model file or scaling 0?

Level 5
K thx, managed all that, but I'm probably being very stupid...

How do I make my dummy unit go away after a certain amount of time (as in not using the triggers). I'm trying to find some sort of 'Summoned Minion' ability or something, to give to him, so that he will 'die' when his timer expires.

Level 5
Okay thanks, I thought that might be the case, so there is no way to do it without using a trigger? Oh well +rep anyways :)

Just to let you know, I'm working on two projects:

ThinkTanks - it's about 10% complete, you can custom create up to 50 different kinds of tanks, take control of different regions, research different hulls, weapons and engines, use scavenger tanks to reclaim wreckages, order supply drops for your forces at the front line and in general, have fun!

The second is more of a demonstration, and for me to re-learn my War3 editting skills. It's a simple weapon/inventory system, done completely in GUI. Involves 6 different weapons (Assault Rifle, Ricochet Rifle, Plasma Shotgun to name a few), 2 different types of Ammo, and three types of grenades (Smokescreens, Flashbangs and Warpnades)... It's about 20% :)

I just keep hitting really basic stumbling blocks!

Level 5
True, but I'm in University right now, and devoting myself to learning a new language is a bit more taxing than putting up with the pathetic GUI. It works :), it's just extremely tedious...

Does anyone know if SC2's Galaxy Editor uses JASS or what it uses etc?

Galaxy Editor will have enhanced and improved GUI, comparing to Wc3's. The aim of the company was to make every type of modder able of modding in a high level. So, the 'newbie' term won't be a flag to a person that uses the GUI.

The coding language is a mixture of C and a bit of Java (according to what I've read; mostly C though), but it will require external programs to code, which sucks to be honest.

Level 5
C and Java? That requires external software? That is a kick in the balls.

Judging by youtube clips I've seen (of the uberlisk and ghost 3rd person shooter), it seems that there is a ton of scope for modding in Galaxy Editor... I hope they have VASTLY improved the GUI triggering system, because to be quite frank, warcraft 3's GUI is akin to performing complex scientific algebraic equations on an abacus.

Level 5
Well, I'm pretty noob at coding. I've got more knowledge about how programming languages work than the average bear. But still pretty basic...

Can anyone point me to a comprehensive JASS tutorial, that covers everything from the absolute basics to the advanced elements?

Status
Not open for further replies.