• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Dummies for each spell or 1 for all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I've been browsing codes and object data from spells I downloaded here in hive and just had a thought. Is there any real difference between making different dummies in the object editor to cast dummy spells for each spells and using one dummy then just adding dummy spells via triggers? Any pros and cons?

Just a quick question anyway.

Level 11
You can also previously add all the abilities you need in the object editor, but that could cause problems with conflicting spells, so adding them throught triggers when you need them is a better solution if you need multiple spells on a single dummy.

For me the only need for different dummies is for detecting unit-types, like an trigger's actions that is activated only if a certain type of dummy dies (I use that a lot in my map).

I've been browsing codes and object data from spells I downloaded here in hive and just had a thought. Is there any real difference between making different dummies in the object editor to cast dummy spells for each spells and using one dummy then just adding dummy spells via triggers? Any pros and cons?

Just a quick question anyway.

The only reason to make different dummies is spell order ID's/strings or their models and attack values usually however sometimes for other stuff too like shadows, minimap visuals, collision.

The main one would be models because you can't trigger/code the animation speed of the special effect you added. Like a slow blink, you need another dummy unit for that or a edited model of the blink to slow it down.

You only need one.
However there are only a certain number of icon slots and thus it only supports that many if you add the abilities through the object editor.
You have to add the required ability through triggers when you spawn the dummy.

It supports more then 12 abilities, you just can't manually use them easily as in you have to use triggers to order that hidden ability since it can't be selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.