• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Magic missiles and dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I want to create a magic missile spell that lies somewhere between DnD original and DotA Tinker missiles. Basically, the idea is -- unit casts this spell and up to %n% magic missiles fly to nearby enemies (one missile per enemy), damaging them for %scaling damage%.
I have three basic ideas but can't quite finish it:

1. Using Barrage. Everything works good enough, except that barrage is passive skill, and I can't manage to make it active. I have tried adding mana cost, and cooldown, but to no awail
2. Still Barrage, but now with dummies. So, through "channel" spell I create a dummy unit inside caster that have "barrage" skill (basically unchanged) attacks and then dies. Problem is -- how to make damage scaling a thing? I have modified this "dummy barrage" to have levels, but how do i give new dummy an ability of correct level? Do I have to create instead multiple triggers (one for each level of spell) and multiple corresponding "dummy barrages" to give?
3. Dummies, but no barrage. Last solution is to spawn several dummies with projectile model, flying and no collision, with melee attack and damage of %scaling damage%. Three problems -- how to ensure each of them attacks exactly the enemy it should? Also, they move in a straight line, which is not exactly the desired effect. And lastly -- again, problem with leveling. How do i add damage to this dummies based on level of skill used?

Update 1: Also, for some reason, channel ability does not create a button in hero menu
1.png
I have modified skill to use war stomp instead with no damage and no effect
Update 2: Also also, barrage does not seem to work properly. My dummy have attack of 1-1 and barrage should give him additional 99 (according to Abilities - Guide). But it's still doing 1 dmg.
Update 3: Another problem -- dummy range seem to behave strangely. It's same 600 as spawning hero, but it doesn't seem to attack beyond 400 or something like that

Last edited:
Level 2
This DOES look almost exactly like what I want! I would modify missiles a little, of course, but the triggers seem understandable enough as-is to adapt it to my needs, more or less

Thank you very much for your input. Though, this shows me how incredibly roundabout it is, to try to make your own spells through triggers, and how, maybe, I should really stick to premade solutions by such great people as you

Update: Problem: your spell is inside 1.3.1-based map. I have 1.29b, which doesn't seem to be able to open it. Is there a way to import spell directly?

Last edited:
Level 13
For option 2 you can use "Set level of ability for unit" and set the level of dummy barrage to the level of the hero skill representing barrage in one single Gui action, so there's no need for separate triggers, just separate abilities with appropriate damage. It's not the slickest solution perhaps but it would work.

Level 2
For option 2 you can use "Set level of ability for unit" and set the level of dummy barrage to the level of the hero skill representing barrage in one single Gui action, so there's no need for separate triggers, just separate abilities with appropriate damage. It's not the slickest solution perhaps but it would work.
It's actually rather slick. The problem with range of created unit and the lack of added damage of barrage still persist though

Level 13
It's actually rather slick. The problem with range of created unit and the lack of added damage of barrage still persist though
not sure i'm understanding the problem exactly, but just based on what you're saying is involved i'm guessing this is probably solvable with some combination of rifleman range upgrade and /or new abilities based on tinker's Engineering Upgrade.

see this thread for use of Engineering
Engineering Upgrade

Re-reading your original post however i'm thinking maybe you'll save some time if you just use ranged dummies with attack projectile looking like the spell that you want, no unitmodel, locust, and GUI command "Set base damage of unit" to "arithmetic: (level of the heroskill) x (yourskilldmgperlevel)". and set an expiration timer on them and adjust their attack cooldown and dmg point so they only ever get 1 shot off.

Level 2
In the end I've just decided to ditch the idea and use shockwave as "magic force wave". This problem was taking too much time and getting out of scope. Anyway, thank you guys for trying to help. How do I close the thread?

Level 12
In the end I've just decided to ditch the idea and use shockwave as "magic force wave". This problem was taking too much time and getting out of scope. Anyway, thank you guys for trying to help. How do I close the thread?

On the top right you have "thread tools", mark as solved from there. Don't remove your topic in case someone else wants to take a look to a similiar thing in the future. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.