• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Druid Discussion Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
So, I thought it would be neat to discuss a few classes since they're underplayed or un-needed in comparison to their alternates.

Druids
I thought I'd compact the idea from the other thread into a single post, along with things I've heard or seen about the class.

Druids aren't really meant to be damage dealers, at least I bloody hope they're not unless they have builds to support it in later versions. For now they make use as healers. But supports that just heal aren't really that great. For that reason, I think most would agree druids need some tweaking.

The general idea and items behind the class are great, they could use an orange/legendary item but aside from that (which I think will be covered in d4) they're fine on terms of items.

The Summons
Wolf should be replaced, or set/based off agil, for hunter builds and such. Tbh it's an average skill in the first place and isn't really needed on a druid. If rangers are limited to one solid summon, that could bring an interesting idea to the class. Have the nypmh buffed, permanent and durable. Give it a solid mana pool that restores when it rests. Give it a slow, entangle, that slows a units attackspeed/movement speed by a solid amount and lowers its poison resistances. I'd like to see druids make use of maybe one DoT spell based off poison damage, gradually lowering the units magic resistances and ticking away for a kind of damage we've only seen on a fucking support bow.

If nypmhs were permanent and a sort of squishy side support, maybe they'd fill a better roll that the wolf could for a druid.

Maybe in the future we could see summons for different situations, summons that give resists or armor auras for situations where bosses are more aligned to a certain kind of damage be it pummelling through melee or water aoes.

Heals
Someone mentioned a jumping heal, that sounds neat, anything to give them a small aoe advantage over the bishop. As people say divine is the main thing making a bishop a better healer, and so it should be, but it doesn't need to be ridiculously overpowered. Divine should be nerfed slightly, it practically effectively doubles a units hp. Either make it a shell for a set amount of damage unfactored by armor or reduce the xSP count for it.

It would be nice if Druids could replace a bishop in certain situations and hold the ground at not a better level, but a different one, without divine you'd see teams working with the disables and chain heals a druid could manage.

Lastly someone mentioned totems having a use, either being placed down for an aoe effect or buffing. I'm all for the buffing, with the summon in place druids don't really need a giant totem on the ground but that could also be interesting. Something that ticks for a certain kind of damage, sends out waves of disables, even silences an enemy.

As for the buff idea, maybe have certain totems give and aoe/single target buff of a % of resist to help in situations where people are lacking in it. Save people clogging 3 slots with FR gear and allow druids to buff a unit for a good duration with a hefty boost of a required resistance.

Silences and slows would be nice on druids, as an interrupt different to a stun. Obviously they wouldn't interrupt the main skills of certain bosses that make them challenging but they might help somewhere along the line.

Anyone else that has any idea, go nuts.

Level 9
Yea Druids, I have no idea what exactly what they are supposed to be, if they are supposed to be a full healer, bishop is better. Offhealer....Bishop as of now does not need help. Dps....Not as much as Hunter and Hunter does not even come close to the dps of the other dps classes. So it needs a buff for sure to be useful, its fun to play, but worthwhile to play it is not.

Level 5
Good Ideas...but wouldnt it be too much for just 1 class. i mean they are great and all but it seems that like we are trying to buff the hell out of him. imo we should have a 3rd base class. not for just the druid but for the other characters as well. the 3rd class for the druid should be a shaman you know, something that could use the totem ideas and stuff. this one can be a aoe type dps and half support. now im not all about having more types of dps but i more of the guy who likes a variety, and so do other players. if the druid and hunter all we have...then it gets kinda boring. a 3rd option is normally better for any orpg. take WoW for ex. it has 3 stat categories to choose from and people like customizing it. now what im really saying is that even though it will take alot of work for you guys to implement a whole new class, it would make gaias a much more fun/competitive environment. and like i say, just a suggestion.

Level 13
It's just a mix of different ideas for future use etc. It doesn't need to be god of disables but a few wouldn't hurt.

Level 10
Nymph in my opinion was kind of a let down. It is in need of a buff. It costs way too much mana for such a small heal and low duration making it completely unnecessary to use in battle. I don't think it should be a permanent summon however. I think what would make Nymph a lot better is decreasing the cast time on the spell or perhaps making it an instant cast. As of now it's not worth summoning him in battle, sacrificing what could be potential heals in mid combat, and he doesn't really last long enough to summon him prior. The Nymph would only get off like 4 heals for 45 mana. So to kind of break down what I think Nymph needs I'll post some bullets:

* Decrease casting time on Nymph
* Increase duration Nymph is out (if Nymph duration is increased then current mana cost can remain the same)
* Otherwise if duration is not increased decrease the amount of mana used to summon Nymph

I'm fine with the idea of having dryad being a permanent pet - and I like the idea that in this case it should replace the ordinary pet. I could make it so that all druid pets (except for special ones to be added later possibly) will replace each other, depending on what you summon. This could add a nice flavour to the druid class, as there will be 3 summons in 1.2:
Servant of Nature, Dryad, Efreet, all getting a different 'role' to play.

Level 5
I'm fine with the idea of having dryad being a permanent pet - and I like the idea that in this case it should replace the ordinary pet. I could make it so that all druid pets (except for special ones to be added later possibly) will replace each other, depending on what you summon. This could add a nice flavour to the druid class, as there will be 3 summons in 1.2:
Servant of Nature, Dryad, Efreet, all getting a different 'role' to play.

oooo yh i really like tht ^^

Level 18
it could be nice but you would have to add nimph extra Hp and better healing since it takes alot of aggro with a single low healing spell
it should also have an aura that gives mana regen or gives extra damage to ranged heroes/pets.

it could be nice but you would have to add nimph extra Hp and better healing since it takes alot of aggro with a single low healing spell
it should also have an aura that gives mana regen or gives extra damage to ranged heroes/pets.
It's a friggin permanent healing pet ... and you still want more buffs? o_O'
Seriously, some suggestions on these boards can't be taken serious.

Level 13
It's a friggin permanent healing pet ... and you still want more buffs? o_O'
Seriously, some suggestions on these boards can't be taken serious.

It doesn't need massive buffs but with the number of heals on the druid and the fact that it's a late game skill, it could use a small aura just to bring an interesting factor to the class. Also, since the amount it attacks should be reduced, maybe the aura, be it armor, regen, resists, w.e, can make up for its low damage output, which is a part of the class itself.

Considering bishops have a high damage output and a high heal output, if druids stay between high and medium for heals but have the disables, or at least some benefits a bishop lacks, then maybe you could see them replacing bishops in certain situations where they're required.

It's one single skill. A skill should never have more than one 'hard purpose', as I call it.
The skill assists with healing a lot. And if I adjust the AI a little bit more it does so perfectly fine.

Auras are meant for characters that are true supporters. Like bards are. Also, I don't like the idea of an armor aura anyway. It's hard enough balancing boss damage even without additional armor buffs.

And Mana regen auras will be limited to bard. I had a lot of trouble balancing mana management in Gaias. I won't mess that up again with a weird mana regeneration aura. Bards and druids will have some tools to improve mana management for the party. But there won't be something else. I don't want mana management to be trivial.

Level 13
I'm only considering the idea of an armor aura for bosses in future that might have an extremely high base damage with AP based skills. Armor could help in situations where something with solid attack power is pummelling away at your tank with a skill similar to felines. If you're really against the idea that's fine I just thought with the low output the nypmh has compared to something like the dual dps ability of a skeleton mage or the various moves built around a wolf, an armor aura wouldn't hurt the nymph.

I like the idea that the auras are based around bards though. Maybe add a slow to the nymph, nothing heavy just a small single target slow. If it just healers that's yet another heal on the class which overly seems pointless. Druids can in fact heal shade without the skill because it simply auto attacks the ranger doppelganger.

Status
Not open for further replies.