1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Droid Gunship

Submitted by Fingolfin
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Next up in my Star Wars-series is the CIS HMP Gunship. It is one of the less known CIS vessels, as it was only featured briefly in the movies (during the invasion of Kashyyk), but it was a playable vehicle in Battlefront II, and in my opinion one of the coolest ground vessels in the separatist army. The best part about this ship is that it's generic nature means that it can be used in a variety of different maps not related to Star Wars.

Its scale is large when compared to the spaceships, but quite small if you compare it to most ground units (which you propably want to do). As a ground unit, i use it with the scale 1.4. Like with the other models, it looks cooler if you set the turning speed low and the object interpolation high, for more smooth movement. This one also comes with sprite attachment points, which means it will start burning when damaged (remove these in magos model editor if the effect is not desired).

If you want it to have a laser attack, use "attack 1", and for a missile attack use "attack 2". There is also a barrage animation named "spell slam". Tomorrow i will upload a custom missile model for this.

Keywords:
Gunship, hovercraft, CIS, star wars, separatist, trade federation, kashyyk, missile, laser, space, fighter, ship
Contents

Droid Gunship (Model)

Reviews
12:21, 22nd Mar 2015 Misha: one more superb CIS model, i see :)
  1. 12:21, 22nd Mar 2015
    Misha: one more superb CIS model, i see :)

2. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Front view:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    I dunno why, but i just wanna say 'delicious' in regard to this model :xxd:

4. Times

Times

Resources:
    Resources:
    Because it looks like a donut. Donuts are delicious, well most of them. and this is a gorgeous and dangerous one.
    Again, omg. awesome work in it! The polies shape looks very smooth!
    wonder what program you use to make these. If it's MAX, well, it may justify its price hehe.
    Keep up the good work!

5/5

5. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, i make my models in 3ds max 5 (unwraps that require pelt mapping i do in max 2010), but i can't say i've payed for it, hmmm.... none of those versions are even up for purchase anymore, so there is no legal way of getting them AFAIK.

The reason it looks so smooth is that it uses phong shading. Basically, you are aligning the lighting normals of the polygons in such a way that the shader can interpolate light values in a smooth way. In 3ds max, you do this using the "smooth" modifier. You can use it on any model which looks edgy, and it will appear softer without adding polygons! Here is an example of what i am talking about.

6. ziad

ziad

Resources:
    Resources:
    its not 3rd max who is good its only fingolfin who is great.

7. VeljkoM

VeljkoM

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Was sure Droid Gunships were also used in Battlefront 2. But anyway great addition for the glorious Confederacy of Independent Systems. Down with the Republic!

8. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, i actually wrote that in the description..... :wink:
    Awesome game btw. Can't wait for battlefront 3.

9. purparisien

purparisien

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow from Ancient Time to Space Age, you keep doing neat models !

10. Times

Times

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've tried many times to use such tools, but then a 150 poly model ends up +300...
    3DS MAX 5? omg that's ancient! but i'd say it's better, current MAX is way too complicated... Something like passing from wc3 editor to sc2 one...
    Well, i'd say the practice makes the master, practising some years may be best way to know how to end up with quality models like this.

11. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, although 3ds max 5 may not exactly be the most modern version, it is the only one which supports blizzards equally ancient art tools which are neccesary to export .mdx models. BlinkBoy did create a very ambitious exporter for newer versions, but i never got around learning it, so i am sticking by good ol' max 5.

12. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Man, this is beautiful.

Anyway, hows my request going? You never messaged me after our last talk. ;C

Bet you forgot ;)

13. jonbon29

jonbon29

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree fingolfin is very great. I like the Gunship, really nice addition to you're galactic models.

14. Splub

Splub

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awesome! Great job and thanks for sharing!

15. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You are right, i completely forgot. You requested an acacia tree, right? And did i ever send you Mr Bob:s buildings?

16. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yup, would be nice if you're still okay doing it and you also forgot to sent me those buildings. Maybe you can send it to me when you got time.
    :)

17. Dat-C3

Dat-C3

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Could I get in on Mr Bob's buildings guys?

18. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Alright, i'll just pass on the pack i was given:

LINK

Contains most of his stuff. Don't ask me why there's a picture of a penis in there, it was that way when i got it. :eekani:

19. kellym0

kellym0

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    a nice ship fin, I particularly like how you made the mesh. I think it flows real nice, a dinosaur of the star wars CIS lore for sure, but I fondly remember these owning wookies, dropping tank droids on top of peoples heads, billions of missiles, dropping droid troops down like commandos in the clone wars -- and who could forget the space battles!

not a fan of that texture, feel like those black lines could be nicer, also feel it could use an HD skin with higher resolution/better color grey.

not much complaints, 8.5/10

could be a 9+ if you did some more stuff to it, one thing I really wish you had done was to animate/detail the guns/missiles more, you have red glow lights on the eyes, why not use this same tactic to make a triangular cone shaped glow for the main middle laser cannon? perhaps you could replace those particles of ''barrel flash'' with it. for reference check out blizzards in game terran marine model, and how it has barrel flash made not of particles but of vertexes.

why didn't you make the missile attack animation have some (1 or 2, 5 or 6) missiles actually leave the craft? similar to how I rigged Minimage's ''Hammerhead Sub'' to shoot torpedoes during attack, that vanish some short distance in front of the vehicle, instead of ''just 'some' smoke'', things like this may seem little but add so much ''life'' to a model. if its ok with you I will be making some of these changes my self for my mur'loc map.

a great addition none the less, I had been waiting for this one. glad to see it and I thank you for it.

Suggestions:

if you are devoted to using emitters during ''attacks'' and ''spells'' I think you should look into making fiery flame emitters for the missiles launch on the crafts model its self, if the missiles lack this emitter them selves you could add it to them later, I think bland smoke is boring, and fire in my opinion would be cooler. it also makes it easier to understand whats happening from a distance, something I always thought Olofmoleman's Hellfire droid was missing (it has super smokey attack animations, but no fire)

add some more vertexes to finish the semi sphere for the side guns, so they can have bones to rotate them, this could allow them to move which could add a lot of ''life'' to the model, by giving the dual side cannons some even basic left to right movement during attack the side guns could be swiveled forwards to shoot forwards along side the main middle gun. which could also involve the side guns having red flashes as well.

I think the biggest problem with this model to me is how it moves, I feel like its too wobbly, the HMP always seemed to be pretty stable when not moving, hovercraft-esk,mars attacks UFO reminiscent, yet pretty stable when it was moving, you have it bobbing and weaving zigging and zagging all over the place like a drunken Indian.

beyond my fan girl feelings for starwars this model could be one of my favorite of yours so far. ever. so kudos to you.