• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Dreamers RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello, Hive

I'm very new to this site, but I've been mapping and modding since the release of the original Starcraft. I'm currently working on a new project called The Dreamers. It's a single-player RPG which follows a very unique non-linear (yet linear) storyline. I've always valued the story of a game first and foremost, so that is what I've concentrated most on in this project.

Before I get into specifics of this project, I should quickly illustrate my future plans for the game, because this is a very new project (in fact, it's only a few weeks old). Actually, I have very little tangible substance to show thus far, save for a few terrain screenshots. Because this project is so new, and because I have such great expectations and plans for it, it's also very important to point out that this project may never even be completed. If what people are saying is true and the Warcraft 3 following dies with the birth of SC2 and Diablo 3, then it's honestly very difficult to see this game being completed. That said, I still enjoy working in the editor and have every intention to finish it (so don't waste you're breath telling me I'm wasting my time...). I really hope someday I can share this vision with the Warcraft 3 community!

Now, onto the game itself:

Brief Gameplay/Story
You play as a young man in a medieval-styled world, full of friendly folk characters as well as a host of enemies you must slay. Without giving away too much of the story (this is what you'll play the game for, after all), it is your primary objective to travel through seperate worlds in the pursuit of a good friend and your ultimate nemesis. This, I think, is what makes the style of gameplay unique; your main quest follows a very linear storyline, but once in each world, you are free to do as you will (in that respective world).

UPDATE: You, Adam, live an ordinary villager's life in the small town of Fey. You manage your own bakery with your childhood friend Chris, and together the two of you have built a growing business. Things change, however, when a mysterious woman shows up in Fey. No one knows anything about her, or even where she came from, but she goes about her day like any other villager in town. Then, as suddenly as she appeared, she's gone.
Other mysterious events begin occuring in town in the girl's absence. *Here an important revelation is revealed to Adam, but I can't tell you what it is...*
Now it becomes your mission to find the missing girl, who is the key to all the problems which keep growing in Fey. You will travel through different worlds in your search for her, meeting new enemies and friends along the way.

Notable Mechanics
Aside from story-writing, terraining is my greatest joy in the editor. I'm very pleased with the world I've created, as it is filled with a plethora of original characters and locations. I think one of the most exciting pieces of this experience will be meeting each of these characters, whether it's through completing quests or just dialoging with them.
One of the mechanics I'm most excited about implementing is the fighting aspect. You control a single character at a time, but will build your ranks by adding other characters to your party (think of Final Fantasy's party system, minus the turn-based action). Each of these characters plays differently, with their own abilities, strengths, and weaknesses, and each character will grow and level differently.
I've also written several exciting cinematics to help move the story foward. This isn't really anything new, but I felt it worth mentioning because I think these cinematics will hold a more important place in this story than in others.
I think weapons, items and armor are important and present in every RPG, so I won't spent too much time talking about that here. Of course there will be a range of different, upgradeable weapons and items here... I guess what is important to mention is that weapons will play a more important role in the uniqueness and variety of every character; each character is built for a certain type of weapon or armor or item. This enhances the battling and party mechanic.

Terrain
I'm afraid this is the only piece of substance I have to show off right now :( , and even this portion of the game is far from completion. The screenshots I've attached are taken from the city in the 2nd world you will encounter. (Before you start critically analyzing my terrain skills: I know I've overlooked important aspects of the shot like the sky in some... I know I used high res objects and such objects are "lame and don't match Warcraft 3"... I merely wanted to show the city and give a taste of the locations players would encounter.)

I hope that this little blurb gives you some insight into what I'm imagining. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm rambling about a game that doesn't sound unique or seperate at all from other RPGs. I think the one thing many (if not all) RPGs in the Warcraft 3 community leave out is the story element. This is not a game where one travels through a homogeneous terrain and collects items for NPCs and ultimately winds up fighting a dragon with his uber-pwnage 133t Sword... this is a game centered on story, and one which I think many players will really enjoy. I plan on updating this frequently with new game material and ideas, and hopefully some of you will help and let me bounce ideas around with you a bit :D I'd love to answer any questions and hear any constructive criticism you have, and I hope you enjoyed hearing some of my plans!

EDIT: I've rethought the art design for the map, and I've decided not to move foward with the High Res design. Instead I'm starting with the Ultimate Terraining Map as a base, and importing models as I need them. I think this improves the map for a lot of reasons:

~there is an extremely limited resource pool of High Res models to pull from, so if I continued using this design there'd be a lot of repetition in terrain design.
~by extension, there's an almost limitless pool of environment and unit models I'm now able to use.
~the design I'm using now fits the cartoonesque mood of Warcraft 3 much better.
~the Ultimate Terraining Map includes many models that make some of my imagined mechanics easier and more efficient, like entering houses. The UTM's framework kits make village and city designs much more unique.

I'm including a few screenshots of the new starting town and countryside -- constructive criticisms and thoughts welcome!

Attachments

• Project Screen 2.JPG
    Project Screen 2.JPG
    513.7 KB · Views: 328
  • Project Screen 3.JPG
    Project Screen 3.JPG
    390.5 KB · Views: 345
  • Project Screen 4.JPG
    Project Screen 4.JPG
    563.8 KB · Views: 343
  • Project Screen 5.JPG
    Project Screen 5.JPG
    823.3 KB · Views: 259
  • Project Screen 6.JPG
    Project Screen 6.JPG
    582.1 KB · Views: 281
  • Project Screen 7.JPG
    Project Screen 7.JPG
    652.9 KB · Views: 273
  • Project Screen 8.JPG
    Project Screen 8.JPG
    517.5 KB · Views: 270
  • Project Screen 9.JPG
    Project Screen 9.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 235
  • Project Screen 10.JPG
    Project Screen 10.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 262
  • Project Screen 11.JPG
    Project Screen 11.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 338
  • reScreen 1.JPG
    reScreen 1.JPG
    735.7 KB · Views: 210
  • reScreen 2.JPG
    reScreen 2.JPG
    624.2 KB · Views: 213
  • reScreen 3.JPG
    reScreen 3.JPG
    514.8 KB · Views: 197
  • reScreen 4.JPG
    reScreen 4.JPG
    464.5 KB · Views: 165
  • rescreen 5.JPG
    rescreen 5.JPG
    588.7 KB · Views: 142
  • rescreen 6.JPG
    rescreen 6.JPG
    593.2 KB · Views: 190
  • rescreen 7.JPG
    rescreen 7.JPG
    562 KB · Views: 196
  • rescreen 8.JPG
    rescreen 8.JPG
    600.4 KB · Views: 159
  • rescreen 9.JPG
    rescreen 9.JPG
    660.1 KB · Views: 146
  • rescreen 10.JPG
    rescreen 10.JPG
    706.5 KB · Views: 174
  • rescreen 11.JPG
    rescreen 11.JPG
    613.9 KB · Views: 146
  • rescreen 12.JPG
    rescreen 12.JPG
    748.2 KB · Views: 128
  • rescreen 13.JPG
    rescreen 13.JPG
    754.1 KB · Views: 210
  • rescreen 14.JPG
    rescreen 14.JPG
    791.5 KB · Views: 168
  • rescreen 15.JPG
    rescreen 15.JPG
    583 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Level 1
>These screenshots are really amazing. I like them really very much. The second screenshot can use improvements. Those 2 statues are not looking nice.
>Take care that you find suitable models for the terrain. The two combined with such terrain will look really nice.
>Some more about the story. Not too much but some more.

*Off Topic*
If you really like terraining then go to
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f267/
& make a new thread for your terrain showcase.
Your terrain showcase will be really good.

Level 5
>>Some more about the story. Not too much but some more.

Fair enough :) I've updated the description under Gameplay with some more story elements.

I've also added 4 more screenshots, 2 of which show off some of the beginning gameplay mechanics.

Level 5
But: *cough* *cough* The human citizen is partly in the table *cough* *cough* ^^

Yea, I noticed that too =/ but I really just wanted to get a couple screenshots out, whether they had errors or not. The Villager Male model isn't a model I'm using in the final piece anyway.

Level 2
Help

Hey, I can help with ideas, story etc. cannot trigger or terrain.

PS - Nice terrain.

Level 5
I'm working on a way to enter buildings without transporting the unit to a whole seperate location on the map. Ghosting the entered building so the player can see in is one of the solutions I've come up with so far.

Level 5
I've updated the first post with some new screens and information showcasing the new map design.

Level 5
I've added new screens, check out the OP.

These new shots come from the 2nd city. It's a port city, with almost 50 buildings for you to check out, including an Arena, Church, an enormous Inn, Guild, Palace, Shops and of course residences. Hope you enjoy them!

Level 5
thanks a lot morpheus! your kit is actually what inspired me to start using the UTM; it has a bunch of great models, but your framework kit makes it possible to make really unique buildings, which was a priority for me. i'll definately have to check out that other stuff

Level 7
This project have to survive! its awesome über1337 motherfucking pwnage!!!! Terrain is also awesomer! I was actually creating a cinematic with a huge city planned to, but yours so beat mine.
~bump~

Level 8
Your terrain is pretty good. You placed the doodads in good places but your atmosphere is bad. In the first one, your using a black fog which isn't good at all. Try making it more gray or make a custom fog and the sky's should change to. The village is great but you have no noticeable fog. Try maybe a orangy fog but not too dark and use fogged sky so it blends in. Other than that, its pretty good. Also, some of your screenshots are 404 Forbidden.

Level 5
=O !!! high resolution Terrain :D

you better have an RPG 3rd person camera for this !! Or else !!

lol

ha, sorry man, i've actually moved away from the highres stuff, mostly because i have a much larger pool of models to use now that i'm using 'warcraft 3 styled' models. I should really just take those early screenshots down, i just wanted to show how the project is progressing.

the house is floating on rescreen11, and the beach looks kinda plain.

yes it's floating, it's a cantilevered outcrop of the Inn. It's actually a very cool effect being in that structure...

Your terrain is pretty good. You placed the doodads in good places but your atmosphere is bad. In the first one, your using a black fog which isn't good at all. Try making it more gray or make a custom fog and the sky's should change to. The village is great but you have no noticeable fog. Try maybe a orangy fog but not too dark and use fogged sky so it blends in. Other than that, its pretty good. Also, some of your screenshots are 404 Forbidden.

I'm not really concerned about fog or skies because i'm creating this map to play, not to make a pretty picture. I'll certainly try to make some breathtaking scenes using fog/skies for cinematics within the story, but that is triggerable, and not something i'm worried about right now.

for some reason i read through it, and i guess hes not using an RPG camera.

and umm lol UTM is good too...i hope u still use an RPG camera for it >.> (i have an obsession im sorry lolz)

(lol i can't keep up with these questions/comments)

i'm using a system with gives the option to use a 1st person or 3rd person camera, as well as other nifty cameras like a close-up unit view. Actually this system is just about the only scripting that i've finished for the project.

Level 17
Excellent terrain. I think everyone notices that thought. xD

So this is obviously single-player? I agree with deathunter, 3rd person camera is awesome. What strikes me is that a person I used to talk to that used to come to my clan channel had a similar idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.