• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dragon Throne, The Ultimate RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
DRAGON THRONE

Dragon Throne is a single-player RPG much like Oblivion and Dragon Age Origins. It aims to be as basic as possible, without ruining the game. After all, who likes 12 classes and 68 races with minor changes, who likes a world map when there's a small one down at the bottom left corner of the screen, who likes riding a Wolf or Giant Bear as a mount instead of just killing one? NO ONE.
You play in a world of Dwarves and Dragons, because I'm sick of a world where humans are everything.

Here's what an RPG map, like this one has and should have:
A Full Screen Inventory
A Variety of Items
A Skill Tree
A Collection of Awesome Spells
Crafting, loot, buying, selling, all in Full Screen
Nice Terrain
An Attachment System
Not only bosses, but creeps who can FIGHT back
A Good Custom Interface
An Epic Story

Story:
Centuries before the Age of the Dwarves, the Elves ruled the world alongside the Dragonkin. They practised heavy arcane magic, which eventually opened a rift between the underworld and the earthly realm. Demons poured out, and waged a war against the Elves and Dragons. After millenniums of conflicts, the Elves and Dragons were growing thin. However, the Dragonking sacrificed himself and empowered a hundred Elven warlords with Draconic powers. Through this, the Demons were defeated by the 'Dragonlords', and withdrew back into the shadows, however the Dragonlords were hunted down by their own people for being monstrosities, and the Dragons, at the brink of extinction, were forced to dwell in dark caverns beneath the surface.
In present day, rumours exist that Dragonlord blood still survives, that it managed to steadily pass down the generations, swerving past evolution and countless families and genes. Now, the moment is most dire, as a new cult known as the Searing Hunters emerge and plan to summon the Demons again, in hopes of some kind of salvation. You might be the answer to them...

Classes:
View attachment 84694
You are Jaeson Stronbagd. A mighty warrior and possibly the last Dragonlord. You will embark on a journey like no other...
Model made by Dan Van Ohlus. Edited with Magos

There are three classes. Each class will have 14 abilities and unique stats. I kept the number low for more variety and complexity between every class.
Abilities come in 3 Tiers. Once you level up, you will gain 1 Ability Point, which you can spend to buy a new ability from your skill tree or save for later. The cost of an ability is equal to its Tier. There are 2 Level-1 Tier spells, 4 Level-2 Tier Spells and 8 Level-3 Tier spells. NOTE: Abilities will never level up like it does in WC3 and you may only equip 3 Abilities at a time, and not whilst in combat.
Skill Trees can be accessed any time with a hotkey. Crafting is also accessed with this.
Once you level up, you gain 3 Stat Points that you can spend on boosting your Strength, Agility or Intelligence by 1.

Templar: A hybrid Tank/Healer class similar to that of a Paladin. His abilities are powered by a 'imaginery-only-seen-in-trigger-variables' stat called 'Holyness' which builds up when he casts a spell, and reduces when he makes a kill.
Abilities: not finished
Tier 1:
Holy Strike-Deals 1.5 x Holyness to a target enemy, and heals yourself by half your Holyness.
Fervor's Guard-Increases your Holyness by 10% of your current HP.
Tier 2:
Devoted Smite-Deals 2 x Holyness, and adds 2 Holyness
Array of Light-Bounces onto nearby allies four times, healing them by 7 x Holyness.
Divine Barrier-Stays invulnerable for 4 x Holyness seconds.
Spirit Shield-Has a 25% chance to increase your Holyness by 1 and heal yourself by 1 x Holyness when you're attacked.
Tier 3:
Slash of Power-Deals 2 x Holyness + Your Strength damage and heals 10% of your current HP.
Exorcism-Halves the current HP of a target enemy, and when you kill it with this buff, you lose no Holyness.
Crucifixion-Stuns an enemy for 8 x Holyness seconds, but fully heals his HP and Mana.
Redemption-Heals a target by 3 x Holyness.
Impervious-Has a 2 x Holyness% chance to deflect all damage.
Blessings From Above-Deals 1 x Holyness damage per second to nearby enemies, and increases Holyness while activated.
Will of Servitude-Becomes immune to spells for 5 x Holyness seconds.
Defender's Might-Adds Strength equal to your Holyness, reduces Agility equal to half your Holyness.

Warlock: A hybrid nuker/DPS class which uses powerful magical assaults to damage enemies from afar and sickly curses to hinder and obscure the opponent. His abilities are based on his spellpower and agility.

Berserk: A 'disruptor' class, whose role is evident in the name. He uses abilities to scatter and stun the enemies, often with knockbacks and large AoE spells, and can also augment himself with various battle skills.
Abilities: not finished

Features:
SINGLE PLAYER
Mountainous, grassy terrain
Creeps with capable spells
Custom UI Interface
Custom music
Lots of quests
Custom models
Bossfights
Unique items
Unique spells
Attachment Systems
GUI Full Screen Inventory/Buy'n'Sell/Loot/Craft/Skill Tree
OPEN SOURCE, but you must still give credits if you take a system or model to me and the creator.

Team:
GhostThruster: Director, Object Editor, Terrainer, Idea Maker, Triggerer, Model Editer
Khaled: Idea Maker, Triggerer

Progress:
NOTE: I will only be doing half of the map until the BETA.
Terrain - 42%
Object Data - 20%
Triggers - 25%
Quests - 0%

DRAGON THRONE TEAM RECRUITMENT HERE

Please give me feedback. I know that there isn't a test map, but as you can see from the Progress, I've just begun. Thank you if you can help me with anything. And yes, I will update this thread.
Below are some screenshots.

Update:
Done a major deal of triggers, added a screenshot of the Fullscreen Inventory Layout. PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING, THIS THREAD'S DYING!!!

Last edited:
Level 13
I like the idea/concept but try to start small instead of "ultimate RPG" try to just do a RPG for now even though you may want to aim high this is just a precision since many a single player wc3 RPG have died because of this but the rest is nice.

Hey, don't worry. I'm more experienced than you think in mapping. And the 'Ultimate RPG' was more or less, an ad. Even still, I will start off to just finish half this map, so that's 50% of everything. Plus, I'll be updating constantly, not finishing everything in one go.
On another note, people can you please comment about this preview? Any suggestions?
View attachment 84302

Last edited:
Level 17
On another note, people can you please comment about this preview? Any suggestions?
, sounds pretty cool. A custom UI is cool, it's a bit blurry still though, try to sharpen it a bit and add some more detail to it. The trees also look good, but I don't like the tiles you have chosen with them. I think ashenvale or custom tiles will match with it better. The fog is a nice detail I think. The white wolf doesn't match the terrain, maybe try that purple dire wolf. Last, since it is singleplayer, don't let the filesize stop you from importing (e.g. hq skins for the wolfs).

I meant could you look at the map preview I attached to my last post.
I actually like the tileset, as its a mixture of grassland and forest. This bit of terrain, I got inspired by Gaias Retaliation, that's why theres Spiders, Wolves and Grasslands with trees and rocky mountains. I'd like to keep the size to below 10mb, so the download time is shorter. And if you see a good skin, please let me know. Thanks for your feedback.

Level 17
Yeah, I've been to that site, but I can't understand a thing! I've downloaded some stuff, but I can only infer what each word means. BTW, are you Russian? If so, I might need your help obtaining some models from XGM.
no I'm Dutch :cwink:. But you can use google site translation (or whatever it is called) so that every time you come on that site everything in russian is translated in English.

Thank you for the feedback.
I'll download that chrome browser.
@-Kobas-: I've already created the abilities in concept, just not in the editor. But, shouldn't I first create the terrain with NPCs and stuff, so I can trigger quests and abilities?
My plan is:
1.Custom UI/Art
2.Terrain and Doodads
3.Units and abilities
4.Triggers
5.Everything else

About the UI: It is supposed to be blurry and parchmenty with blood splats. I got the idea from Dragon Age: Origins.

Level 17
The terrain looks almost on the same on all pictures (to little differences, only creeps and heights are the really noticable differences). Are you also adding hirelings? Maybe it's cool if you can have max 1 hireling. Or maybe a pet. If you have this, you should let the hireling/pet own by an ally and that they walk with you and around you (like diablo 2).

Another thing, are you going to add summoning spells? If you do, I've still got a map somewhere which has some cool summoing spells (1 summoning spell contains an unique custom creature for every level and summonings patrol around the caster).

@Khaled: What more features do you want? Most of the stuff in this map aren't in alot of the other RPG maps. For instance: Gaias Retaliation has custom music and nice music, but no Fullscreen Inventory and their abilities are rather bland. TKoK has a Full screen inventory and skill tree, but it doesn't have an attachment system and as good a terrain. And they're the 2 most popular maps. The features that I don't have that they have is a save/load and multiplayer, both because I want it to be solo and instead of typing some stupid loadcode, just press F10, S, and then save a file.

@[K40$]-Spectre: The terrain is supposed to look the same. It s called a tileset for a reason mate. However, there will be caves, indoors, rocky plains and a beach, so its not all grass and trees. I was thinking of making you gain a pet baby Dragon further along the quest storyline, but yeah, I might add a pet system similar to Gaias Retaliation's. There is only one original(not gained from items, quests etc) summoning spell that summons Skeletons by the Warlock. I don't know why, but I find it sorta boring and too preset, like you can't change the summoned unit's stats and stuff, and I thought of adding a NPC party system so you can invite NPCs into your control, though without/or a shared inventory and skill tree for each NPC.

@DEMIGOD: Thanks man!

Thanks for everyone who posted in this thread! Please keep active and posting!

Level 17
The terrain is supposed to look the same. It s called a tileset for a reason mate. However, there will be caves, indoors, rocky plains and a beach, so its not all grass and trees.
, showing 5 very similair pics of the same tileset is a bit useless in my opinion :p. Good though you going to have more tilesets ;).

I was thinking of making you gain a pet baby Dragon further along the quest storyline, but yeah, I might add a pet system similar to Gaias Retaliation's.
, it matches the title/theme so that's a good idea.

There is only one original(not gained from items, quests etc) summoning spell that summons Skeletons by the Warlock. I don't know why, but I find it sorta boring and too preset, like you can't change the summoned unit's stats and stuff,
, some people find summonings boring, some like them (I myself like them), it's personal preference so do what you like with it.

and I thought of adding a NPC party system so you can invite NPCs into your control, though without/or a shared inventory and skill tree for each NPC.
, kind like dungeon siege? I like parties, but you should have a good system for it (not that just have to control all the party members like rts units), maybe a dungeon siege system where you can choose if they follow you and attack enemies automatic and an option where you can just control them.

Yeah, I wasn't calling this map Dragon Throne for no reason.

I don't dislike summonings, its just that all the creeps have support already, and the heroes are all warrior-based, with the exception of Warlocks, which are rogue-ish and mage-ish.

Yes, they won't obey your orders, but will have a trigger-made AI to cast spells and follow you around.

Firebolt is an awesome hero name!
I've done that because Inferno sounds better than Infernalist, Blaze sounds better than Pyromancer, and Anarchy sounds better than 'Chaos Causer'.
Imagine this: Illidan the Darkstorm, see, better in my opinion than 'Demon Hunter'.

Updated post with some more info on Templar abilities. Gonna add icons to them.
Also added Khaled as a new group member.

Level 17
Just joking. Thanks for bringing the thread alive. I've made alot of progress, just can't be bothered writing it in my forum. If you need help with your map, I'm in debt.
, that's a generous offer I can't refuse :crazz:, I'm almost done with my full version for Augmentation Warfare, if you can make icons for the new robot race once I released it than that would be great.

Last edited:
Hey Dude you're map has a good concept and i like the idea for the oblivion combination. It's always nice to see a singleplayer lover, did you check my map maybe? I have good terrain and I could help you somehow, maybe a little bit with quest ideas and terrain? Im not good at spells by the way.
Some questions:
-I am confused a little bit, do you can choose the class you want to be, or you can customize yourself like in oblivion?
-Isn't the hero a little big for a dwarf? (if he is one)
-Ever played Fallout3, you could use some ideas form there...
Some suggestions:
-Make as many secondary (optional) quests as opsible.
-You should make every (or most) quests multi-finishable, with 2 or more ways to complete (which will make it better and could result in bonuses.. depends on quests)
-Add some weather system, which changes global weather, with a random chance for a random weather, also make some lightning (thunder) effects and sounds on heavy storm. And rays of light after the storm.

that's all for now, i'll suggest more later....
btw i abandoned my RPG so i have time if you need me.
+rep for the singleplayer (<3) RPG!
...my favorites!

Level 12
You need to work on the terrain, it is a good start but, for a forrest it looks too open if you know what I mean. I suggest making some rocks with shrubs around some of the trees and at the cliff edges and such, giving it a good effect. Also the FSI is pretty simple atm, will the shop be at the left top corner of the FSI?

@BugBuster96:
Thank you. I will be releasing a bad terrain in an alpha, and later I will change it dramatically. I have seen your RPG. It is very good terrain, similar to TKoK, but my terrain is more Gaias Retaliation, if you know what I mean.
All classes(3) are warrior-oriented, because they fit the model of the hero. You can choose 1 class in the beginning. I made it uncomplicated on purpose so I can put more effort on the spells and skill tree of the classes.
The dwarf, is a hybrid 'Dragonlord', as it says in the description.
I dunno about the multi-ending quests, I'm a lazy kid who has school. Random weather, maybe way later down the track. Right now, I'm focusing on making a basic alpha to show and proove my work.
+rep coz you give really good feedback.
@Catch_ya:
I'm gonna change the terrain radically like I said, and maybe its the screenshot angles, but most of the terrain has fixed 'paths' for the hero to follow, and not many open areas.
Shop will be bottom left corner, crafting recipes top, and the items will change depending on the seller, so you won't get stuck with the option of just 'Mana Potion, Rusty Sword' etc. Thank you for the comment +rep.

by the way, you wont make it too open, right? But if you add a lot of secondary quests you should make it more open, and don't make it too linear, only doing the main quest with no returning... And you should make perks, like the skill tree... but you earn them differently, like you get poisoned and survive -" By surviving the most deadly poison, your immune system is now more stronger, giving you +1 armor permanently" - only an example, and lots of 'em you should make, not everything should give you perks, most quests should only give gold or maybe a item... or nothing.
-Will you make attachments?

Status
Not open for further replies.