• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dragon Age Map Terraining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
So I was going to try my hand at creating a map with a Dragon Age setting, themed as taking place just after the events of the Fifth blight in Dragon Age I.
The main problem I'm having is with the map style and terrain, I'm finding it very difficult to create an accurate replication of the origional map of Ferelden in Dragon Age I.
800px-Map_-_World.jpg

Any suggestions guys?

Level 3
So I was going to try my hand at creating a map with a Dragon Age setting, themed as taking place just after the events of the Fifth blight in Dragon Age I.
The main problem I'm having is with the map style and terrain, I'm finding it very difficult to create an accurate replication of the origional map of Ferelden in Dragon Age I.
800px-Map_-_World.jpg

Any suggestions guys?

You mean the doodads, and stuff?

ndh

ndh

Level 8
Ok, here s what i would try...

To start off with, have your maps initial terrain level be shallow water. Then using the raise tool, lift a bit of terrain till it becomes dry land. Use the plateu tool to make the dry land bigger, do this until the whole map is dry land. Next, take a look at your reference pic and using the lower tool, lower the terrain so that you have a crude match with where the water is on the reference pic. Next, sharpen up the detail of the beaches until they match the referense pic almost exactly.

Thats pretty much the basic starting area for large scale terrain, at least in my experience.

Anyways, good luck and remember, if your not having fun doing it, then don't do it :)

Level 14
This is just looking more and more complicated, the map that is. A full replica of Ferelden might be a little to much.

Why? Because it's too big? Is it going to be multiplayer or a single player RPG?
If it's single player: why not use transitions between maps using the campaign editor? This way your map size can be... infinite?

If you do have enough size:
I just gave you the solution for setting up the outline of your terrain using nothing more then a black and white picture
(simple as hell to create, in fact you can probably even desaturate the picture you posted to create your terrain).
Then all you have to do is setup tiles, fine-tune the cliffs, place doodads and all the stuff terrainers usually do to create good looking terrain...

Be reminded that if you do desaturate the picture you've posted the icons will also be created as cliffs automatically.
I don't see your problem really. It may be a lot of work to make everything look good, but it's not complicated.

It's even possible to desaturate a photo of the queen of england:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/913204-post46.html

I'm sure that if you set the water height limits you'd be abled to create the cliffs + water with ease...

Status
Not open for further replies.