• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Downloaded Models keep on going from .MDX to .MDL and are unusable. why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I have a few models downloaded from this site, and they used to work perfectly, (most of them, Riderless kodo and great hall teepee never worked but possibly for the same reason) and i have been useing them in my maps, but all of a sudden, poof, they're gone, (okay, not gone, but greed and black checkered boxes) digging in to it i have seen that my blahblah.mdx files are now blahblah.mdl. and no matter what i do, they go back to mdl, how do i fix this? what have i done?:vw_death:

Level 6
More clarification would be nice about where you are seeing the .mdl file type.

Double check for each of these:
  • Open your Warcraft III folder. Find the folder where the downloaded model files are stored. Usually, it will be the one named "Units". Check the file types. They should be .mdx.
  • Open World Editor. Open your map. Open the Import Manager. In case you don't remember where to find the button, it is a green arrow pointing onto pages. You can alternatively press F12. Check to see that the models you want to use have been imported. Their file names should end in .mdx. Under Full Path, make sure you are either using the default or the exact file path. The file path should also end in .mdx. While you are here, it would be a good idea to check to make sure all your required skins are present and accounted for. Remember that skins require an exact, typed out file path and cannot use the default file path.
  • In World Editor, open the Object Editor. Select the entry for a unit with a custom model. Double-click on "Art - Model File". Under the "Import" option, your imported models should all end in .mdx. Under the "Custom" option, your imported models are supposed to end in .mdl.

Check through these and let me know clearly in which locations you see .mdx and .mdl.

If you have checked through these, and your problems still persist, let me know and I will provide further assistance.

Level 6
In that case, the ".mdl" is not the issue. There is a slight possibility that your model files may have become corrupt and the world editor is unable to display them. Have you tried re-downloading some of the models? If not, try this:

1. Close World Editor.
  2. Download a model that you are using in your map.
  3. Move the downloaded model into your Warcraft III folder, replacing the original.
  4. Open World Editor.
  5. Delete that imported model from your import manager.
  6. Re-import the newly downloaded model and save.
  7. If the model still doesn't show, close World Editor and reopen it, then see if it shows.

Level 15
It automatically converts them to .mdl. One of two things is happening:

1. You haven't imported the correct custom textures for these models

2. The World Editor didn't properly load the models. This happens sometimes, and can be fixed by actually placing the model in your terrain (via doodad, unit, or destructible) and then saving your map, closing the world editor (completely), and then re-opening the editor and your map.

Level 8
Still nothing, I have done what each comment says,
1, find the model i want. (sill .mdx)
2, download it to my folder. (sill .mdx)
3, Import it on to my game. (sill .mdx)
4, change the path. (sill .mdx)
5, make a new unit, in the obj editor, (sill .mdx)
6. paste the model path over the new units (turns into .mdl)

if i go onto the scroll bar of the "imported" tab, when i try to replace the model file, i pick the one i want, but it still turns into .mdl, i have tried closing and reopening the game, reinstalling, hell, even rebooting, no dice, and ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.