• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Dota] Hero Attack (version 1.1 to be released this weekend)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
[Dota] Hero Attack v1.5 has been released

Version 1.5 has been published. It includes some balance changes and a few new features. Here is a list of some of the changes:

- Added text tags saying ‘Buy Items Here’ directly over the shops because some people couldn’t figure out where to buy items despite the fact that it tells you in the loading screen and the help section.
- You can now buy tomes at the beacon. Tomes are similar to WC3, they give your hero a permanent stat boost and do not take up inventory space. However, they are not very cost efficient, so you should max out items before purchasing tomes. The purpose of the tomes is to give players something to spend minerals on after they have maxed out on items.
- The beacon now has an attack, similar to the main building’s attack.
- The main buildings deal slightly less damage but have a faster attack speed. The purpose of this is to make the main building’s attack more effective against marines because the marine hero’s ultimate ‘calldown reinforcements’ was too powerful when used on the enemy team’s main building.
- The overlord hero has a slightly longer attack speed but deals more damage.
- The overlord hero’s spells have been changed. Ventral sacs is now the hero’s ultimate and generate creep is no longer the hero’s ultimate. Generate creep now deals damage to nearby enemy units and buildings at levels 2 and 3. Hopefully this should make the overlord hero stronger.
- Ultimate abilities that allow your hero to fly (like the phoenix hero’s ultimate, the banshee hero’s ultimate and ventral sacs) now cost 1.5 energy per second instead of 1 energy per second.
- The duration of forcefield has been reduced from 15 seconds to 10 seconds.
- Fixed a bug where zerg heroes could not buy items while burrowed.
- The command center no longer burns down.
- Readded the hold fire ability to the ghost hero and the dark templar hero because someone requested it.
- Made the randomization algorithm for the siege tank hero’s ultimate ‘artillery barrage’ significantly more efficient.
- Added a leaver system where if the teams are not even then the heroes on the team with less players will receive a bonus so that they are stronger (this bonus depends on how many players are on each team). This should give the team with less players a chance to win. However, this is completely untested (since testing it involves people leaving the game in multiplayer) so if it has any bugs please tell me.
- Added a trigger that prevents computer controlled units from becoming idle after they are stunned.
- Irradiate now reveals invisible units.
- Various other minor changes and tweaks that aren’t really worth mentioning.

Notes: I do not do beta tests, so hopefully there are no bugs in this version. I was going to add more levels to heroes but because several people have requested that I stick with the 10 level system I will stick with the 10 level system at least until after version 2.0 is done. This will probably be the last version before version 2.0 unless bugs are found (or bugs are created when blizzard releases patch 1.2 similar to how bugs were created when blizzard released patch 1.1). Version 2.0 should be released in either January or February (but don’t take my word on that). At the moment, the heroes seem fairly balanced, the game appears relatively bug free and there seems to be a lot of options and play styles available to players, so I would like to thank everyone who has helped me playtest Hero Attack.

- - - - - - - - - -

Version 1.4 has been published. It includes a few minor bug fixes and balance changed based on some of the feedback that I have received. Rather than give a video of version 1.4, I will simply give a list of some of the changes:

- Hero Hotkeys have been standardized to QWERT, so that they are easier to remember.
- In general, disable abilities (void prison, nightmare, graviton beam, etc.) are slightly weaker.
- Some AOE abilities (like plague, ensnare and maelstrom) no longer affect allied units.
- The zergling and baneling heroes now have a shared experience system.
- Fixed a bug where the baneling heroes would lose items when they both died at the same time while next to each other.
- Fixed a bug where zergling and baneling heroes would only get a 50% refund for selling items.
- Fixed a bug involving the dark templar hero’s void prison actor.
- Hold fire has been removed from the ghost hero and the dark templar hero’s command card since the ability was not used much.
- The beacon at each base now heals at a more continuous rate.
- Fixed a bug where the beacon would not heal a nearby hero’s energy if the hero already had maximum shields and life.
- Terran bunkers no longer burn down, this change was done for balance purposes.
- The thor hero now attacks quicker (though attack speed remains unchanged), so it should be easier to micro the thor hero.
- The stalker hero’s dps has been increased because the hero was a bit too weak.
- The zealot hero now has more energy because the hero was a bit too weak.
- The spine crawler hero and the spore crawler hero now have +2 range, so the drone hero should be stronger.
- The mothership’s movement speed has been increased slightly.
- The reaper hero’s d8 charge spell is a bit stronger and now has a cursor splat actor to show the AOE radius.
- The hardened shields item is now less effective when used on the dark archon hero.
- Neural parasite has been changed somewhat. There is no longer a limit to how many units you can have neural parasite at once. Instead, neural parasite has an energy cost and has shorter cooldown.
- Neural parasite units gain a small life regeneration bonus and are issued the order to follow the caster when the behaviour is applied (this is done because neural parasited units often die shortly after they are neural parasited).
- The mutalisk hero’s summon mutalisks spell has been changed somewhat. The spell spawns several mutalisks at once (rather than one at a time) but mutalisks now have a timed life. Also, spawned mutalisks are immediately added to the currently selected units, so a player no longer has to select mutalisks after they are spawned.
- Changed a large number of trigger variables and made some triggers more efficient in preparation for version 2.0.
- Various other minor changes and tweaks that I have forgotten about.

Notes: Version 1.4 is completely untested, so hopefully I haven’t created any bugs that did not exist in version 1.3. Originally I intended to add more levels to heroes (so heroes can go past level 10), however I haven’t gotten around to it and some people have told me that they prefer the 10 level system. Please tell me if you would prefer a 10 level hero system or a 20 level hero system. I’ll try to get version 1.5 done either in late December or early January and will try to fit in some features such as a leaver system and a way to spend minerals after your hero is maxed out on items.

- - - - - - - - - -

Hello everyone,

Hero Attack version 1.3 was released on December 11, 2010. It features 6 new heroes, bringing the total number of heroes to 36.

- - - - - - - - - -

Hero Attack version 1.2 was released on November 20, 2010. It has bug fixes, balance changes and twice as many items. Please try it out!

- - - - - - - - - -

Hero Attack version 1.1 has been released. It features 12 new heroes such as the reaver hero, the defiler hero and more! If you like AOS style maps, if you miss some SC1 units or if you would just like to play something different then I recommend that you try Hero Attack.

Here are some videos of Hero Attack version 1.1:

(There is a section of part 1 where the sound quality isn't very good. I have added subtitles for that section so that you can still follow along.)

What is Hero Attack?

Hero attack is an MOBA style map similar to dota. Players work in teams, control heroes and their goal is to destroy the enemy team's main building. Heroes can gain experience, buy items and learn special abilities.

However, this is not a dota clone. There are many differences between hero attack and dota. Most noticeably each team must pick a race (Terran, Protoss or Zerg) before the game starts, and each race has a unique set of items, heroes and units. All heroes and items are based on sc2 units and abilities so it should be fairly strait forward how to use each hero. The map layout is different from the dota one (the map has 4 lanes instead of 3) and every 5 minutes new unit producing buildings will be created for each team. The computer player on each team harvests minerals and vespene gas from its base and gives it to the allied players on its team. There are also neutral hostile critters that you can kill for additional minerals and experience.

Currently this map has:
- 3 playable races.
- 36 playable heroes.
- 45 items.
- Over 100 different abilities.

Here are some videos of Hero Attack version 1.0:

Last edited:
Level 3
I will be releasing Hero Attack version 1.1 on Saturday at noon EST. Look for the map then.

This map will only be available on the North American Server.

Level 3
Hi everyone,

I would just like to thank everyone who played Hero Attack today. I had a lot of fun and the feedback that I got was really helpful. Despites the fact that I couldn't get a full game and mostly played 2v2's and 3v3's, today's gameplay gave me an idea of the general feel of Hero Attack and what aspects of Hero Attack need improvement. So again, I am very grateful to those who played Hero Attack, especially the handful of players that played for several rounds.

I do realize there are some general areas that need improvement such as heroes leveling to quickly, players receiving too many minerals, the fact that there are not enough items and ways to spend minerals (unless your team is protoss in which case you can mass obelisks), and there was also the occasional bug. I'll try to focus on these issues in the next version. Also, the game did seem a bit too chaotic (though admitedly the chaos sort of made it fun) so I will see what I can do about that as well.

For those who still want to play Hero Attack, it's on the second page if you filter for custom games and click show new only. However, just don't expect to play full games (unless you join with a lot of friends) because even I could only get half full games at best. Also, please give me feedback in the forums because I will read your posts and take them into consideration. If you are one of the players that gave me feedback online then I would like to ask you to summarize your suggestions in the forums so I do not forget what you told me.

Level 7
Well i have played about 10 games so far as multiple heroes and i can tell you this game CURRENTLY(as in could be fixed and muxh better) is a train wreck of epic proporsions. First the terrain is ok but lacks anything that makes me think its awsome.

Second comes the hero imbalances ive seen so far
1. Reaver can store 4 shots up. He actually shoots 5 AT ONCE then use his super scarab and thats 6. Now when i was playing i was doing around 35+94 damage or some such nonsense when everyone else was doing 12-20.

2. Reaper once he hits lvl 6 can just jump up cliffs right to the enemys main base and kill the base before people know whats going on.

3. Mauraders ulti has no energy cost or cooldown so he can spam the hell out of PDD but they attack everything not just incoming missles. So i strolled up into the enemys base getting hit the whole time and then made a cloud of PDD and insta won! WOOHOO

4. The scv and drone can get a battlecruiser or broodlord that is permanent. The probe gets the mothership for like 20 seconds. One game i sat back and had about 20 broodlords then i attacked and noone could even get close to the wave +my 20 overlords.

5. The pheonix's graviton beam once it hits lvl 2 or so is overpowered. Once it hits level 3 there is no stoping the pheonix. I just graviton beam someone and run back to my photon cannons. And as soon as it wears off the cooldown is done so i just pick them back up.

I know theres more but i cant think of them ATM. I will edit this post if i remeber anymore.

EDIT

Items are next to usless with the exception of like 3 or 4 for each team. And even then by early mid game you have so much money you can buy w/e you want and still have plenty.

Edit
Make it so you have to destroy the first defenses before the second one can be attacked. and then the third cant be attacked until the second is destroyed. So on and so forth. This will help keep people from abusing blink/cliffwalk/jetpacks to just go straight for the enemys main base.

Last edited:
Level 3
Version 1.2 will be released tomorrow at noon. I updated the original post to provide more information. Sorry it took so long to finish version 1.2. I was really busy with university the past few weeks.

Level 3
@shadonavan I'm really grateful that you took the time to write all that. Hopefully most of those issues will be solved in version 1.2.

edit: I doubt the reaver shoots 5 scarabs at once. It was most likely 4 scarabs and a super scarab. But I do realise reaver capacity is a bit overpowered. If the lower range and movment speed that the reaver will have in 1.2 is not enough then I will have to try to make reaver capacity weaker.

Btw, does anyone know how to change the title of a thread?

Level 7
Well dont take what ive said the wrong way. It was an excellent game and i loved the three races instead of the standard two. There were just those few things that everytime i got a good full game going someone used some OP hero and ruined it for everyone.

EDIT
Sorry i havent played the new version and dont know if this has been fixed but the reaver can spam his ulti to. Makes it so easy for him to get into the back of the base and snipe the main building.

EDIT
Well i tried out version 1.3. Unfortunately its lower on the list so i had to try it out by myself. I like all the items ALOT more now. Some of them are really cool. I liked the interceptor item! maybe makes its range a little more though. I noticed with some of the longer ranged heroes the interceptor doesnt attack. Maybe code it so the interceptors range is the same as the heroes.

Last edited:
Level 3
Version 1.3 will be released on December 11, 2010. It will feature 6 new heroes. I am currently uploading a video of it.

@shadonavan - thankyou so much for your feedback. Version 1.2 was released 2 weeks ago and should have fixed most of the concerns in this thread. Also, the version you played was 1.2, not 1.3. The only reason it says 1.3 is because I uploaded 1.2 twice and for some reason the version number always increases when you upload your map. I'll consider the interceptor change, but it might be a lot of work to do (you would be suprised how difficult it would be to implement such a simple idea using galaxy editor). Perhaps you should use the interceptor only on close range heroes for now.

Omg, can't you accept that SotIS is far better than your map (despite some balance issues with the Ghost) and that there is no point anymore to create another DotA-clone? Oo
Don't waste your time and effort for nothing ... really, nobody is going to play this.
Create something unique and new instead of recycling old ideas that have LONG AGO been commercialized with games like League of Legends.

Level 7
Good map ignore the comment above me keep up the good work sotis isnt even that good. its an exact dota clone pretty much. At least you were origanal and made race pickable. i think it would be cool though if you could do a 3 team version! And Zwiebelchen i hate you tell you but dota is an AoS clone.

Good map ignore the comment above me keep up the good work sotis isnt even that good. its an exact dota clone pretty much. At least you were origanal and made race pickable. i think it would be cool though if you could do a 3 team version! And Zwiebelchen i hate you tell you but dota is an AoS clone.
First: I didnt understand any word you're saying o_O
Second: I know about Dota being an AoS clone ... breaking news. Who cares? DotA was more famous than AoS. Who cares what came first?

Status
Not open for further replies.