• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[New DOTA like map] Hero Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello, I've recently finished the first playable version of a map that I have been working on since the release of sc2. Introducing...

HERO ATTACK

Hero attack is an MOBA style map similar to dota. Players work in teams and control heroes and their goal is to destroy the enemy team's main building. Heroes can gain experience, buy items and learn special abilities.

However, this is not a dota clone, there are many differences between hero attack and dota. Most noticeably each team must pick a race (Terran, Protoss or Zerg) before the game starts, and each race has a unique set of items, heroes and units. All heroes and items are based on sc2 units and abilities so it should be fairly straitforward how to use each hero (the ghost hero, for example, has abilities such as snipe, cloak, emp and nuke). The map layout is different from the dota one (the map has 4 lanes instead of 3) and every 5 minutes the lanes will spawn additional troops. The computer player on each team harvests minerals and vespene from there base and gives it to the allied players on the team. There are also neutral hostile critters that you can kill for additional gold. Currently this map has:

- 3 playable races.
- 18 playable heroes.
- 45 items.

Here are some videos. Keep in mind that the videos are of Hero attack in lowest graphics settings because my laptop cannot handle anything higher than that. :(

I spent alot of time on this map so please give it a try.

If you want to play this map (or something different other than the popular maps), go to join custom games, click show new only and its only 4 pages down. The map is called Hero Attack (version 1).

Edit: The game is no longer considered new so it will be extremely difficult to start or find a game (if it wasn't difficult enough before). I'm working on a new patch that will have atleast 12 new heroes, some new items and some balance changes. When i'm done the patch I'll republish, so you should probably wait for the new patch. I'll indicate in advance when the patch is coming out.

This map is only available on the North American server at this point in time.

Last edited:
Level 8
Alright, a few comments pertaining your map.

First off, don't call the thread [New DOTA like map] <...> because many people here are uninterested by DotA, many of us actually dislike it. You should rather just say it's a new AoS map or something of the sort, because now everybody is comparing it to DotA rather than a new map with awesome designs.

Next off, and I don't know if it's because your computer is on it's lowest settings, but the terrain doesn't look all that nice. I suggest that before you release it, rework the terrain, add some texture into it instead of one monotone pattern on the ground.

As for the game play, personally I find 5 minutes is too long for creep summoning, perhaps shorten it a little.

Hope it comes along well, good luck.

Level 31
First off, don't call the thread [New DOTA like map] <...> because many people here are uninterested by DotA, many of us actually dislike it. You should rather just say it's a new AoS map or something of the sort, because now everybody is comparing it to DotA rather than a new map with awesome designs.

maybe u dont like dota, but there is many many many people that want to play dota on sc2.

Level 3
"Next off, and I don't know if it's because your computer is on it's lowest settings, but the terrain doesn't look all that nice."

Yes my computer was on lowest settings. My laptop can't handle anything higher. :( Next video I'll try to use medium settings.

"I suggest that before you release it, rework the terrain, add some texture into it instead of one monotone pattern on the ground."

The game was released over a week ago on the US server so I can't unrelease it. :p Also, at this point in development I'm more concerned about gameplay, adding more heroes, units, etc. and making sure there are no bugs. Later on I plan to concentrate more on the terrain and maps. Eventually, I plan to do things with map design and terrain that dota or other AOS maps haven't even thought of or attempted.

"As for the game play, personally I find 5 minutes is too long for creep summoning, perhaps shorten it a little."

The units spawn 30 game seconds after players choose their heroes and they respawn every 30 seconds after that. The 5 minutes is when you get new unit production buildings. You also get new unit production buildings at 10 minutes and 15 minutes as well.

"Hope it comes along well, good luck."

Thankyou for your support.

Level 8
maybe u dont like dota, but there is many many many people that want to play dota on sc2.

Notice I never said nobody likes DotA, I just said that some people (I know I said many) don't like DotA. I just find it wrong to compare to another game when this game as potential to offer something completely new, rather than compare itself to DotA.

And honestly, I'm not afraid to admit that from time to time I play SotIS on SC2 as well. It's pretty good, and has good potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.