• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Doom cannot target ally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hey, I'm trying to make a spell that converts an allied unit into another stronger unit. I've tried using Dark Conversion, but it removes abilities from units when you do that. So I decided to try using Doom, but its not letting me target allied units with that. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Level 20
Stats - Targets allowed
Friend = It can target your own units and allies
Allied = It can target allies
Enemy = It can target enemies
Neutral = It can target neutral units
Player Units = It can target your own units

Level 7
I understand this. Doom has some hard-coding with it that is causing issues, so despite my thorough understanding of this, it makes no difference.

As yet, to make it approximate desired effect, I have had to use the channel ability as a stand-in and change the team of the unit when it is targeted. This still has issues with it, though, so if someone has a better idea, please let me know.

Level 7
1.What version of wc3 are you using?
2.What are your exact targetting fields for doom?
1. Version is 1.27
2. I've tried some variations, including Allied, Enemy, Organic, Player Units, Ground, Ancient

channel seems like the way to go to me. what issues did you run into?
At this point pretty much only that the target becomes an enemy, and consequently begins attacking. I haven't tried this, but maybe changing it's team back after its targeted would work. I can make it work as is/with more work on the trigger side perhaps, but I would still be curious about any additional insights.

Level 21
1. Version is 1.27
2. I've tried some variations, including Allied, Enemy, Organic, Player Units, Ground, Ancient

At this point pretty much only that the target becomes an enemy, and consequently begins attacking. I haven't tried this, but maybe changing it's team back after its targeted would work. I can make it work as is/with more work on the trigger side perhaps, but I would still be curious about any additional insights.
not sure I understand... if you are using channel and triggering the effect part then why is it changing to an enemy if that isn't what you want? if you just want to switch a unit into a stronger unit, replacing a unit shouldn't be a big deal to trigger. you shouldn't need to mess with changing ownership.

Level 7
@Cheshire , you are correct.
I've been focusing on the effect/art/look of what it is like when using the ability to the point where I've been overcomplicating it. If I just leave the art/effect to channel, and then replace the unit with a trigger, then that's simple.

I was having it change owner of the target, then cast doom on it in order to give the ability art I wanted, rather than taking care of all that with channel, and timing the triggered unit replacement to occur at the right time.

Level 7
There are plenty of ways to make this work, some more complicated than others. I currently have a setup using triggers, but I am just pointing out that it can be done, and work with targetting allies, if Parasite is used.
Thank you all for your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.