• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Doodad Invisible Suddenly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Why my doodad suddenly disappear?

WC3ScrnShot_052215_143233_05.jpg

WC3ScrnShot_052215_143228_01.jpg

Level 25
I'm not a modeler, so I don't know the exact terms, but there's this part of each model that has to be visible for player (in player's view) for the rest of the model to draw as well. If that part is not visible, the whole model will not be drawn.

As you can see, this is an issue with the model itself and it can be fixed by increasing the part that needs to be visible to cover up the whole model.

Level 7
I'm not a modeler, so I don't know the exact terms, but there's this part of each model that has to be visible for player (in player's view) for the rest of the model to draw as well. If that part is not visible, the whole model will not be drawn.

As you can see, this is an issue with the model itself and it can be fixed by increasing the part that needs to be visible to cover up the whole model.

Hmm... i'm not a modeler too ...I can't fix this problem myself :ogre_rage:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
We all know the common philosophical question of "if a tree falls in a forest with no one around to hear it, does it make a noise?". In computer games the answer to it is pretty clear, no it does not make a noise.

Since computational resources are finite and the game has to perform in real time it is important to limit computations when possible. Although unit states have to advance independent of if the client is viewing them (so game remains in sync), their asset states do not. The game will not even try to draw models that are too far from the view. Animation state might be lost in the case a model stops being drawn. It will not play 3D sounds that are not near the view as well.

This is fine for small models like units, but larger models like the "World Tree" need to be drawn even though the model origin might be a considerable distance off the edges of the current view. This is likely where model extents are used to add information about the visibility of the model when off screen. As long as its extents are in view it will be drawn, otherwise it will be clipped away to save resources.

This does apply to GetLocationZ when sampling a walkable destructibles. The result is a common desynchronisation source based on either local animation state or visibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.