• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Disconnection Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Okay, so I've been making this ORPG for a couple weeks, and after the first few days of work I had some of my clan members test with me.
Some people would disconnect as soon as the game starts, this doesnt happen when I host other games. Im not sure why it happens, but so far theres 3 people that its done it to. Ive had about 20 total testers, so it doesnt do it to many people.
When it started there wasnt much to the map, so I thought maybe it could have been a connection problem at the time, but a few days after I found it happen to another person.
If anyone knows whats wrong or what can cause this please reply, I have spent countless hours on the map and its only about 15% done.

Level 18
It could be that their computers are too slow and the loading time takes long. Then it takes too long for those people to load the map and are automatically disconnected. Most computers with this problem are just on the edge, so it sometimes disconnects them and sometimes doesn't. If that's the case, they should shut down as many other programs that take up memory to speed up the loading time as much as possible, increasing the chance to stay in the game when loading.

Level 3
Well, its not that they disconnect in the loading screen, as soon as the game starts I'll press F11, and the people who do disconnect are there for about 6 to 8 seconds.

Level 19
Sync actions at map init maybe a reason
but Im not sure

Sync actions contained in functions like Pick units selected by X player etc

Level 3
Oh, I have a hero selection where you click the hero and it shows the information on it. Should I turn these off in the Trigger Editor and then make the triggers turn on in another trigger after the game starts?
But like I said, this only happens to few people, and the people it did happen to tested in single player and it worked. Im still confused! :(

Level 19
Well
Unit Group - Pick Every Units Selected by Player
action has a SyncSelections() native which is buggy for example
Every action with Sync thing is buggy as I know

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Damage units in AOE, terane deformations, and some camera natives are well known to cause splits when used with people who have the MAC installed version of WC3 and TFT.

Also if they played a different wigitized map before your map, they will split at start due to the wigitization of the previous map. They can fix that split cause by restarting WC3 before joining your game.

Level 3
Hmm, the only thing you guys mentioned that I am using is a camera angle, which is for hero picking at the start. If they dont have a hero the camera zooms up every # seconds, forgot how fast, so they have to pick before even looking at the map.

Level 3
Update: I deleted every trigger on my map but its still 'Desyncing'

What else besides something trigger-based causes Desyncing and what can I do to stop it?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
If it dsyncs at the start, some of the players could have previously played a widigitized map and forgoten to restart WC3. As their game data is different until they restart WC3 they automatically desync an any other map but the one they played before. Also if their install of WC3 is bugged it can cause desyncs. If the host or player have slow connections it may cause dsyncs.

Level 3
Well, I dont think the Widigitized Map is the problem. This has happened to the same people on different days as well. A big difference in connections is possible, but I doubt that its the problem. I have many maps and its only happening to this one, Im going to make a few dummy maps to pin point the problem, Ill keep an update.

Level 4
this disconnect bug is quite a known problem.

easy way to explain (i think):
some maps are compressed in an especially "strong" way, using programs or whatever.
if you played such a map, w3 seems to be unable to "detect" different things like doodads.
therefore all people that are not on the same "degeneration-level" (or whatever xD) of w3 as you are, are disconnected by playing their own version of the map(called serversplit)

so to put it in short words: whenever you want to play a rather complex map in any way, just restart w3 before doing so and you should be fine. tell this your clanmembers as well and noone should get disconnected even when you deleted every unused byte for your map.

oh btw: dota isnt just widgetized. there are better ways to compress a map and increase its protection, and dota as well as other(and much better balanced:> ) maps like aom use those ways to a high extend ^^

Level 11
i know that dota is widgetized because of pitzermike's thanks to ice frog in widgetizer readme... it is also optimezed by vex (as i do to my map... and it has the same loading time as dota... being a lot heavier (mine) and in gui :p)

EDIT: try only widgetizing abilities upgrades and units... uncheck all of the remove unused data and take a look at what does all of the other things that widgetize script

guess thats all we can do

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Nice to see everyone repeating what I said about wigitization, but is it really needed when the author of the thread still has not given us an update on has he fixed the problem or not.

there are better ways to compress a map and increase its protection
Increasing compression as in getting a new sive with smaller holes but more of them. Basically no matter what you do in WC3, your map will always be unprotected. Easiest way to prove this is to use JASS shop pro's built in map script opener and you will see that you can view triggers in every map ever made. After all, WC3 has to be able to open the map and as long as that can happen, so can other people open and edit the map.

Level 3
Oddly, I have removed nothing, after spending 20 minutes deleting every unit, import, trigger, etc.

I decided to try the original version before the dummy map on someone who it would disconnect before. It seemed to work fine, somehow. So I wasted my time with the dummy map, who knows what the bug was, but it magically fixed itself.

If it comes back Ill bump post.

Status
Not open for further replies.