• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Disaster Strikes - Delta [0.05]

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Disaster Strikes is a teamwork oriented game where the players must defend themselves against hordes of demonic creatures. It takes place in a rich, eerie forest covered by a layer of filthy darkness.

Game play: A total of Four players can play this game. The enemies are controlled by Wc3's simple artificial intelligence. This game is based on the survivor's viewpoint, so no players will be able to play as the attacking force. The game starts of at a very easy difficulty, but as you transgress throughout the game, the difficulty is significantly revamped. As you progress, certain structures will be unlocked once you reach a certain number of kills. These structures are necessary for defending against the demons more efficiently.

Kill Rewards: Kill rewards are rewards unlocked by reaching a set number of kills. If you reach a certain number of kills, (ex: 35), you will be able to build a certain type of tower. This will influence your strategy early-on in the game.

Note: This is a defense/survival map. You'll find it much easier to stay in an established base rather than running around the map. The enemies are way too strong to hold off on your own. You need to establish a base, (walls, towers, etc.) to succesfully survive this demonic apocalypse.

image8nx.jpg

image7oc.jpg

[0.02] -
Made single player possible. Added upgrades.
[0.03] -
Changed User Interface. Balanced bounty income. Fixed hosting problem.
[0.04] -
Implemented Transparent Tree System.
[0.05] -
Added difficulty settings. Nerfed units, buffed others. Added new units. Reworked all tooltips. Re-triggered nearly everything to cope with the Difficulty Selection Dialog.

Questions, comments, concerns? Please p.m. me or use the comments section of this thread. Thank you!

Keywords:
Defense Survival Apocalypse Demons Zombies Forest Tower Defense Demonic Death The End Disaster Strikes
Contents

Disaster Strikes - Delta [0.05] (Map)

Reviews
15:17, 13th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 4
The Difficulty System.

Easy:
Recommended Players:
- 2 Beginners
- 1 Intermediate

Normal:
Recommended Players:
-3 Beginner
-2 Intermediate
-1 Advanced

Hard:
Recommended Players:
-4 Beginner
-3 Intermediate
-2 Advanced

Expert:
Recommended Players:
-4 Intermediate
-3 Advanced

Last edited:
The screenshots I put up are lower quality, so many of the grass doodads, fog effects, etc. can't be seen. Also, to give the terrain a dark effect, I used fog that starts at 0 and ends at 3,000. It's hard to tell, but it give the whole screen a darker effect.

Oooo I will try this as soon as possible! :thumbs_up:
The trees have already been up-scaled to 1.30.
Yea but my point was to make it different scale -> Small, normal and large trees :grin:

Level 2
ok somethings wrong i cant even find the map in my folder to host it ingame outa game i can find it and no im not new to hosting or dling maps from hive for that matter its simple just not showing up for me where as every other map i dl does show up any ideas?

Level 3
i don't get how someone rated 5/5 when i can't even host it. hopefully its just my side of the problem and not the map's. please look into this. thanks.

i don't get how someone rated 5/5 when i can't even host it. hopefully its just my side of the problem and not the map's. please look into this. thanks.

Dude just change map name (wc3 can't see map) delete that protected and map version from name!

Btw map is awesome, custom icons, models everything, terrain is beautiful BUT:

:thumbs_down:Very hard to play alone!
:thumbs_down:Terrain is simple, add river, mountain something like cave to hide, some destroyed facility to hide also, you know what i try to tell you! just forest is boring!

Honestly, I will give you 4/5 for now! my opinion is that map can be better so dude give to as more! :thumbs_up:

Level 4
Dude just change map name (wc3 can't see map) delete that protected and map version from name!

Btw map is awesome, custom icons, models everything, terrain is beautiful BUT:

:thumbs_down:Very hard to play alone!
:thumbs_down:Terrain is simple, add river, mountain something like cave to hide, some destroyed facility to hide also, you know what i try to tell you! just forest is boring!

Honestly, I will give you 4/5 for now! my opinion is that map can be better so dude give to as more! :thumbs_up:

I think I know what the problem is. I'll look into fixing it.
Oh, and I highly recommend playing this with two or more players. I'll adjust single player so it's easier to play, but then again, this is a teamwork oriented game. Thanks for the feedback though. :wink:

Update: I changed quite a few things, added a few new upgrades, and I believe I fixed the hosting problem.

Last edited:
Level 3
It's kinda' hard... I can't find a good spot to build a base. Also, in my opinion, the time before the next type of creatures appear is too short. Maybe you could extend it? Oh, and the trees block my view so I can't tell if there's a gap in the wall.

Level 4
It's kinda' hard... I can't find a good spot to build a base. Also, in my opinion, the time before the next type of creatures appear is too short. Maybe you could extend it? Oh, and the trees block my view so I can't tell if there's a gap in the wall.

The map has been updated, again. I've been listening to what you all have been saying, and I believe that through your criticism, we're making a better game. However, I never designed this game to be a simple, stride in the park. Let alone that, it was never meant for Single Player.

When I first created this map, I play-tested it with two players every time I updated it and added one mere thing. That is why this is a team-work oriented game. Hopefully, if you guys are willing to test this, you'll be testing it with a friend.

Anyhow, in this new map update, I implemented a Transparent Tree System that makes Canopy Trees see-through when you go near them. You guys shouldn't have nearly as much trouble 'sight-seeing' when you play the game. I also updated the UI, to give it that "futuristic, high-tech Marine" feel. Onward, the 'demons' will spawn at a slower rate.

That's about it, other than a few cost changes.
As I said before, constructive criticism is always welcome! :hohum:

Level 16
This game is bugged... After then entire team dies the timer continues to count down to 0. After that the timer for helicopters counts down and when the helicopter left it says that one of us didn't make it even though we all were dead. Then at the end when game finishes we all were victorious except the person that was said to not make it to the helicopter in time....

Level 4
This game is bugged... After then entire team dies the timer continues to count down to 0. After that the timer for helicopters counts down and when the helicopter left it says that one of us didn't make it even though we all were dead. Then at the end when game finishes we all were victorious except the person that was said to not make it to the helicopter in time....

Oh, oops. I had a faulty condition that, sort of, messed up all of the other victory conditions. No problem now, though, I fixed it. I'll upload the new map when I feel it's appropriate. In the mean time, I'll welcome all of your guys' ideas; it helps a lot.

Level 4
The Difficulty System.

Okay, so here's how the new difficulty system works.

Easy:
Recommended Players:
- 2 Beginners
- 1 Intermediate

Normal:
Recommended Players:
-3 Beginner
-2 Intermediate
-1 Advanced

Hard:
Recommended Players:
-4 Beginner
-3 Intermediate
-2 Advanced

Expert:
Recommended Players:
-4 Intermediate
-3 Advanced

Choose wisely.

Level 3
the trees are blocking some of the views and its pretty irritating.
more mobs could also be placed in as there seems to be <ten types of mobs in the game and its kinda boring when you reach the later part of the game. bosses at intervals could also be placed. towers...etc should have more variety of types too.

well overall i kinda enjoyed playing this game. kudos and good luck with it :D

Level 4
the trees are blocking some of the views and its pretty irritating.
I tried fixing that problem, but sometimes it's best if you just turn the camera.

more mobs could also be placed in as there seems to be <ten types of mobs in the game and its kinda boring when you reach the later part of the game. bosses at intervals could also be placed. towers...etc should have more variety of types too.
Well, so far, there are 18 different units that appear and disappear as you play throughout the game. The boss idea sounds good, and I'll decide if it's worth working on this map anymore later.

kudos and good luck with it
This map died pretty quickly. I think I'm going to stop doing updates because a lot of people don't understand the concept and just aren't playing it. Thanks for the criticism though.

Level 5
This map died pretty quickly. I think I'm going to stop doing updates because a lot of people don't understand the concept and just aren't playing it. Thanks for the criticism though.

chances are its dieing because it isnt the first map of this kind. look for a map called Fortress Survival, it's been around a lot longer than this one and it pretty much died too, i could be wrong because im only looking in USeast.

Level 4
Reject.

Terrain and Balancing.
You know, I come back a few months after forgetting about this map, only to find my map was rejected for two reasons.

Terrain: Okay, what's wrong with it? Does it feel too cluttered, or what? Is it just ugly?

Balancing: I'm just going to assume you opened the map, played it, and died. That's nice. To let you know, if you ever read this, I implemented the difficulty system to actually make the map easier for testing, but that obviously wasn't good enough.

I'll agree, this map is ridiculously hard, but it's not impossible.

Level 5
seams like you define a "beginner" as someone who has played the map about 20+ times (assuming the difficulty system was ment for you to win the game)

Level 4
seams like you define a "beginner" as someone who has played the map about 20+ times (assuming the difficulty system was ment for you to win the game)
This game was built on a foundation of teamwork, requiring at the least, two players. I would edit this map if I could, but sadly my computer crashed and I lost all of my map files a few months ago.

I think it's safe to say this map is dead. I used to play this game all of the time with my friends, and they enjoyed the hell out of it.

Level 5
seams that cweener wont be cooperating to help unprotect it, so i suggest you look for other places to unprot it like wc3edit, assuming u cant get someone to do it here (which seams somewhat unlikely)