• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Disable Smartcasting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi!

Sorry if this has been answered, I searched for a long time. Wasn't really sure of the exact wording for my problem.

I want to be able to cast an ability as a group, much like how stimpack works, or how casting worked in broodwar. I already have the ability set up, it is a channeled area damage spell that ticks until interrupted. I've poured over the stimpack ability trying to figure out what makes it act the way it does, but haven't come up with the answer.

Also, is it possible to make a group cast a single spell that scales based on the number of units casting?

Thank you, I appreciate any help.

Level 9
i am not 100% sure what you mean.
Disabling smart casting (right click on something that can be a target triggers cast) can be disabled with ease. just remove the flag "smart" from ability properties.
Scaling the dmg of an ability depending on the number of units isn't easy but possible.
Change the effect chain that the ability gives the casting unit a buff with low duration.
Within the effect chain you have a trigger effect which validates how many units with this buff are close. then apply the effect.
1. Set effect (apply buff, create persistant)
2. Create persistant (small init delay) with trigger effect as final effect
3. Trigger effect (X times a dmg effect with corresponding search validator depending on how granular you wanna scale the dmg)

Level 1
Thank you,

What I meant in the first part was referred to on teamliquid as "smartcasting." You know how in broodwar if you cast, say psi storm, every unit that had that ability in your group would cast? That's what I'm looking for. As to the second part, I figured it would be hard, but it is my end goal for this ability. The first option is a temporary measure.

Thanks again, very helpful.

Level 9
if all selected units shall cast all at once i would use triggers for that since you cannot validate if a unit is selected.
event: unit casts ability
action: pick each unit from unit group (units currently selected for player owner of triggering unit) do:
isuue order to cast ability to target point of ability being cast

Status
Not open for further replies.