• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is sort-of a rant thread. It's not meant to be super-organized or well layed out, so forgive me if it's a bit of a chore to read. These are just my thoughts on what i've seen the hive become, and where I see it's future brightest.

Note, that this is in no way a commentary on recent site events. I support Ralle 100%, even If I strongly disagree with more than a few of The Dark Wizard's Bans.

Warcraft 3's hayday was quite a bit ago. Things will only continue to go downhill for here in the Warcraft community. Starcraft 2's hayday is now, but unfortunately for us, we missed the train, and now it's long gone. The Hive cannot compete with the powerful ingrained SC2 modding communities like Sc2 Mapster (Which has curse backing.), especially not from a services perspective. (Feedback, asset generation, support for questions, tutorials, getting team members, popularity). These are facts. Modding, for THW, is only going to continue to spiral downhill.

The hive can't afford to jump off the train late if it wants to remain as a strong, solvent community.

One of the largest issues with most technology groups, websites, and companies, is that after the initial concept, there is often very little done to preemptively adapt to changing conditions. The same exact thing happened to the company, Research In Motion, (RIM, which produced the Blackberry.) Once holding an outstanding 50% market share, it's now plummeted down to a scant 11%, and falling, with it's major new release expected in 2013. Why did RIM fail? It didn't consider the possibility of smart-phones outside of the market that the Blackberry had made for them; non-business, entertainment, utility. Now it's far too late for the company to pick it's feet back up off the ground. I'm not saying that THW is RIM, but the same situations can apply to any industry, and any entity, with ease, and it's already happening to us.

There are numerous examples showing us where the lack of pro-activity heralds a decline, and I've enjoyed THW (And invested in it in more ways than one), too much to not at least make a simple thread with my ideas.

If Warcraft 3/Starcraft 2 modding is going downhill for THW, then what is the next logical step for a site whose very MO is Warcraft/Starcraft modding? We aren't Epicwar; We don't just host maps. We have a large, creative community of designers, artists, and programmers who generate very attractive assets. (Icons, Skins, Programs, Models.) If the site wants to adapt to a new environment, it needs to work to it's strengths, and that strength is it's creative usergroup. For years, users on THW have been making skins, icons, models, competing in art contests, and a whole host of other creative pursuits.

I see THW redirecting itself towards a more generally creative thesis. The best way for the hive to move forward is to directly embrace the talents that it's existence has helped to foster.

If we take that strong community base that we currently enjoy and apply it to a more general field that is less structured on a third party, like a game or platform, the site can avoid stagnation.

I foresee future in creativity;

Graphic Design
2D/3D art
Programming & Technology
General Modding
Asset-Commission

A big part of this is that a fair-sized portion of the site's powerhouse users are getting older, and they need money (I'm sure we all do.), a community that better supports adult existence, and making the transition from what we currently do, to a broader focus on creativity and design is the way to go. The best way to get there is not to directly emulate sites like DeviantArt, because that is not an area in which you can compete, but to find a niche that can be filled without competition, and will support your users and the community, and that's what we all want.

I'd like to discuss the possibility, and how, or if, we'd go about this transformation.

Now, again, this is just an 'off-the-top-of-my-head' rant, so take it all with a grain of salt, but of course, do let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Level 17
Seeing the Hive go down this path wouldn't be such a bad idea, what we 'could' have is having a multitude of different games that can be modded (Warcraft 3, Starcraft 2, anything else) in one section and another section to inspire people to work together and make their own games within the community, so that we can get the best of both worlds.

That's just my 2 cents though.

Seeing the Hive go down this path wouldn't be such a bad idea, what we 'could' have is having a multitude of different games that can be modded (Warcraft 3, Starcraft 2, anything else) in one section and another section to inspire people to work together and make their own games within the community, so that we can get the best of both worlds.

Expanding the modding curriculum seems like a good idea.

Level 22
I will repeat what got deleted in the other thread (yeah I wrongly understood it was about the demotions but it also had a sc2 part), so I will repeat that sc2 part.

First of all, me and some others have obviously woken up to realize, coming to register here to start learning war3 .. - year 2012, summer ... wait what? Just because a bunch of Asians play dota and custom maps because it is known non-Korean Asians play War3, is this a reason to keep it like that with a game that has its time gone and pretty much everyone with common sense has moved on? Even the ones who come to join are mostly Asians..

I really never expected this place to be more sc2-ish. If anyone wants to learn the not so hard editor that allows you to do a lot of things without modeling such as the SC2 editor, come to SC2Mapster and I will see you there. I've seen enough of this illusion about starcraft 2 being done here, its popularity here is like discussing some random console game. So I think from almost leaving I will soon make one final leave, what's keeping me so far, just ponies, well I could as well post about them in some pony place, no need here.

What does SC2Mapster have besides being completely devoted to SC2? - No silly threads and trolling unlike what's been happening here, even the offtopic threads are often asking editor question which keeps the focus entirely on mapmaking.. Seriously go see there, peopel are more MATURE at least act defiitely so, all the crap in which I was involved as well feeding some 'people' never happened on Mapster.

What I dislike about Mapster - it's CURSE Coding... what a horrible way to use a forum, WikiCrapole - if I edit the post it, then edit it again a minute after, then edit it again, it shows the first edit, not saving my 2nd edit.. the way if you allow spaces between using BBCode codes, the text won't change at all.. and many so silly problems

Still - the chat I use also for help with the editor. The place has nearly no other topics than SC2 editor but hey that makes it so good, so trolling free, flammers free and I feel like in a forum heaven there, damn it! So far away from the BS and awful trolls here. Why is this happening here? One explanation: SC2 community MORE MATURE and grown up than the kiddies runnin around here.

I agree that this place CANNOT BE SC2 place, though it should move on. Making it a more GENERAL ARTIST place is a good idea, TWIF, however no reason for me to stay, this time for real. eSports? - I have a place not even a forum, Ponies? I should use another forum, SC2 editor - already have. Thank you.

And my name is weird e stands for eSports, ImtoR is an abbreviation of my full nickname!!! That's the mystery.

Last edited:
I will repeat what got deleted in the other thread (yeah I wrongly understood it was about the demotions but it also had a sc2 part), so I will repeat that sc2 part.

First of all, me and some others have obviously woken up to realize, coming to register here to start learning war3 .. - year 2012, summer ... wait what? Just because a bunch of Asians play dota and custom maps because it is known non-Korean Asians play War3, is this a reason to keep it like that with a game that has its time gone and pretty much everyone with common sense has moved on? Even the ones who come to join are mostly Asians..

I really never expected this place to be more sc2-ish. If anyone wants to learn the not so hard editor that allows you to do a lot of things without modeling such as the SC2 editor, come to SC2Mapster and I will see you there. I've seen enough of this illusion about starcraft 2 being done here, its popularity here is like discussing some random console game. So I think from almost leaving I will soon make one final leave, what's keeping me so far, just ponies, well I could as well post about them in some pony place, no need here.

What does SC2Mapster have besides being completely devoted to SC2? - No silly threads and trolling unlike what's been happening here, even the offtopic threads are often asking editor question which keeps the focus entirely on mapmaking.. Seriously go see there, peopel are more MATURE at least act defiitely so, all the crap in which I was involved as well feeding some 'people' never happened on Mapster.

What I dislike about Mapster - it's CURSE Coding... what a horrible way to use a forum, WikiCrapole - if I edit the post it, then edit it again a minute after, then edit it again, it shows the first edit, not saving my 2nd edit.. the way if you allow spaces between using BBCode codes, the text won't change at all.. and many so silly problems

Still - the chat I use also for help with the editor. The place has nearly no other topics than SC2 editor but hey that makes it so good, so trolling free, flammers free and I feel like in a forum heaven there, damn it! So far away from the BS and awful trolls here. Why is this happening here? One explanation: SC2 community MORE MATURE and grown up than the kiddies runnin around here.

I agree that this place CANNOT BE SC2 place, though it should move on. Making it a more GENERAL ARTIST place is a good idea, TWIF, however no reason for me to stay, this time for real.

I appreciate the post, but I want to keep talk of trolling, recent events, and other such things out of this thread. This is for discussing proposals.

Level 22

Have I mentioned anyone related to the recent events? I was discussing why sc2 has no place and is time to move from war3 on, and pretty much the situation with the games NOT anyone from the staff.... See what's wrong with HiveWorkshop? Everyone brings self-importance in his posts (very much such attitude the post above), I can't say one thing here without turning out bad - by someone else who makes me look bad... who makes assumptions about something I never meant..

That will always be the difference between the more mature communites I mention and these, here. Why do you think we never discuss attitude in Sc2Mapster? Ok with this last day of the week, I am out of here too. Every time, you can't make 1 proper conversation here and this happens nowhere else. And here everyone's like under 20, seems the age does speak.

As for proposals, my proposal is change your own attitude and grow up if you want this thw community to be less awful. To you I only look awful because I argue about things that I never had to argue about on other places, so guess where it comes from? Not from me. Good luck with that, and eliminating Self-Importance look on the forum.

Last edited:
Have I mentioned anyone related to the recent events?

I didn't say you did. :)

I was discussing why sc2 has no place and is time to move from war3 on, and pretty much the situation with the games NOT anyone from the staff.... See what's wrong with HiveWorkshop? Everyone brings self-importance in his posts, I can't say one thing here without turning out bad - by someone else who makes me look bad... who makes assumptions about something I never meant..

I didn't say you meant anything. I thanked you for your post, I agree with parts of it.

That will always be the difference between the more mature communites I mention and these, here. Why do you think we never discuss attitude in Sc2Mapster? Ok with this last day of the week, I am out of here too. Every time, you can't make 1 proper conversation here and this happens nowhere else. And here everyone's like under 18 or around it... Must be me.

You appear to have over-reacted and taken my comments around a park that I did not intend for them. I certainly meant no offense, I simply do not want to see the conversation turn into... well... this. Let's keep things on target is all I ask.

As for proposals, my proposal is change your own attitude and grow up (some of you that need it it seems) before thinking about anything else - which games or which not. Good luck with that, and eliminating Self-Importance (we are discussing bla bla here... I am so important)

I don't understand how you got to thinking this, but it's not true at all. Let's just continue to discuss the sites DIRECTION. Not what has been going on with the staff reformation, or with users trolling or maturity - those are hot topics, and I don't want a discussion to be tainted with it. That's all I'm asking. I'm sorry if they came off as offensive.

Level 19
Good to see that there are people thinking forward! That really helps! :D

The Hive sits with a solid base of skilled and creative minds, and I agree, that is what the site should build upon. Seeing sections devoted to the creation of games and similiar projects would certainly be nice. The artist's discussion forums seems like a good place to start.

Also, I could see a database, not only of models or skins, but also consisiting of music, sound, storyboards and similiar stuff, to greatly benefit the Hive in general. Perhaps evolve into a hub where one can find people interested in ones projects!

I could certainly use such a Hub, I have a great deal of ideas, but I'm lacking in most areas, as I know little 3D modelling and Scripting.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I think focusing on modding games in general would not really work without picking out one specific game at a time, focusing hard on it for a long time, to make the site almost built for that game. You know I will build smart systems to share things you make for the game and so on.
I don't think this would be relevant for discussion anytime yet, as SC2 still needs a lot of attention.

Level 14
I think focusing on modding games in general would not really work without picking out one specific game at a time, focusing hard on it for a long time, to make the site almost built for that game. You know I will build smart systems to share things you make for the game and so on.
I don't think this would be relevant for discussion anytime yet, as SC2 still needs a lot of attention.

Well said, and i totally agree.
This site 'gamebanana.com' started out as a counter-strike modding site for some years before it went modding for almost every steam-game.

Level 25
I agree with just about everything you've said TWIF. Perhaps we should only have resource sections for just a couple of/some games though. Or else those sections will become complete chaos I believe. At least for the moderators. Neither the less I think it is time for us to change, to evolve. Though I have to add; this site has waay more activity and users now than it had when wc3 was at its finest. (Though I honestly don't know if it is for the better or the worst, or if we are getting more quality work here now or then)

Also, I could see a database, not only of models or skins, but also consisiting of music, sound, storyboards and similiar stuff, to greatly benefit the Hive in general. Perhaps evolve into a hub where one can find people interested in ones projects!

This is great, this should actually already exist. Though music files takes a shitload of space I believe? But we should be able to implement at least sound/storyboard/thingys sections, just as we have icons and models.

Level 6
Warcraft III is not hot and kicking, Battle.net is filled with bots and more and more players are quiting the game. Blizzard doesn't support the game anymore, It's over and It's stupid to think otherwise. The Hive should do everything it can to become a Wc3/Sc2 modding site with a 50/50 or even 20/80 balance in interest.

Level 6
@Blackcat, Warcraft 3 is still hot and kicking for me, I still love playing it and continue making maps on World Editor. People should really understand the "IMO(In my opinion)" thing.

You didn't say ''For me'' in that post of yours. Yes, for you it can be hot and kicking but it's just dying and bots are destroying the game which makes Battle.net impossible to play on. So focussing on Starcraft 2 is essential, or else this site will die togheter with Wc3 and Battle.net1.0

Level 14
Warcraft III is not hot and kicking, Battle.net is filled with bots and more and more players are quiting the game. Blizzard doesn't support the game anymore, It's over and It's stupid to think otherwise. The Hive should do everything it can to become a Wc3/Sc2 modding site with a 50/50 or even 20/80 balance in interest.

Well, most people here just enjoy modding for the game..
Yet when I'm playing warcraft 3 i still see alot of people in the clan-channels.
People are using the bots for better gameplay, it doesn't mean that people have left, just that they've become smarter and "evolved" to use some better hosting solutions.

Level 11
Games do not 'die' so to speak. But they become less popular, and we can all agree that Warcraft 3 is not as popular as it once was. If you want a popular site with a large number of active users - then TWIF's idea is spot on. However, if the site stays on the Blizzard-product modding train it will likely become smaller, and of those that remain, diehards.

TWIF's decision is great as it adapts naturally to new games and is honestly, a good direction for the site. Warcraft 3 would still remain, assuming all the models and shit would be imported, but it'd allow for other things to become prevalent in this site.

Level 20
I'm not too keen on the idea of branching out to a million different games, I think Warcraft and Starcraft are good, they're both highly modifiable and they're both RTSes, so they compliment each other nicely. I really wouldn't advise hive to start splitting its attention , or more importantly its audience.

I think Starcraft II modding in general has been pretty slow to take off, so Hive's not alone there. I think the release of HotS will be a good boost in the right direction, if Hive tags onto it.

Level 28
You didn't say ''For me'' in that post of yours. Yes, for you it can be hot and kicking but it's just dying and bots are destroying the game which makes Battle.net impossible to play on. So focussing on Starcraft 2 is essential, or else this site will die togheter with Wc3 and Battle.net1.0

Warcraft is still hot and kicking IMO.

Do I need to bold the IMO???

Level 25
@son, To say "imo" and "for me" is quite different. To say imo then you simply say that you consider it being hot and kicking. In that case you are speaking for everyone. Which is not the same as you considering it being hot and kicking for you. Details, yes. But it is easy to missunderstand you.

Level 6
There are a few options.

The Hives becomes a Warcraft 3 Starcraft 2 modding site with a good sc2 moderators team.

The Hives sticks with Wc3 and dies with it.

The Hive becomes a multiple-gaming website and dies because nobody feels comfortable with that.

Level 11
There are a few options.

The Hives becomes a Warcraft 3 Starcraft 2 modding site with a good sc2 moderators team.

The Hives sticks with Wc3 and dies with it.

The Hive becomes a multiple-gaming website and dies because nobody feels comfortable with that.

Uh ya...you must be delusional. The Hive is not going to become a good SC2 site. That is wishful thinking. Someone please explain how you guys are going to catch up with SC2Mapster? What does a bunch of immature WC3 modders have to offer for SC2?

So based on your options...the death of this site is inevitable.

I think you guys need to face the fact that The Hive is quickly becoming obsolete. TWIF is dead on that the only way to avoid this is to branch out beyond Blizzard products.

Level 22
I agree with a lot of points you posted, this is no place for sc2, in fact I do not have expectations of this site anymore.

Still, I also change my mind and I think making some artist forum out of it is a bad idea, contrary to what i said earlier. It's awful, how many artists... just 50 people that includes modelers, artists, singers altogether.

All the rest are here to have help with game editors and such, if this will be just nodding or comments like 'Zomg great picture or video' and all this site will be about, this will become some uber crappy boring place (I mean more than it already is).

I think HiveWorkshop.com must be closed and erased. Some forums must not be forced to live if their time's up, just close it and start some new business. I am not gonna act anyone's advocate here anymore.

That's limiting. We're devoted to modding as a whole, not plain graphics design.

I think more people on the hive should try spreading out and try making things that aren't for WC3 for once. They're certainly capable of it - I've got four people from here helping me make our own game, ponykart, for example.

Sure you have to do things a bit differently, but you end up learning more about the tools you use which means you can create more stuff in the future, wherever you go. The hive has a lot of talented people and I'd hate to see that talent wasted on solely making resources for a dead game.

Status
Not open for further replies.