• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Different language World Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Hi guys,

Sorry i am a fledgling to the map making scene. The warcraft version where live is 1.24 and is not in english. I was just wondering, if i open the world editor in another language and patch ( i.e 1.26 on an english version of war3 ) can my work transfer over?

I tried to search my question before posting but couldn't find anything.
Thanks !

Tulee

Level 22
If you were using 1.24 and later open it with 1.26, there won't be any problem.
But If you were using 1.26 and later open it with an older version (1.24 or older), there might be a problem.

So for your answer, yes it can. I'm not sure about the language, though. But I'm sure there won't be any problem.

I would make a backup just in case, but your map should transfer over just fine. When you switch locales, only the default text for things change.

So let's say you open up a map in the German-locale. The GUI triggers will all be in German. If you open that same map in an English-locale (without any modifications), then the triggers will all be in English. That is because there is an underlying identifier (usually in English), and then the editor looks up the locale-specific text. That way it stays portable. :D

I think the only place where you can run into issues is when you use special character sets. I remember opening up some maps in cyrillic--they wouldn't show up right in the English locale. To be fair, they probably wouldn't show up correctly in wc3 either, so I wouldn't stress about it too much.

Level 23
If you were using 1.24 and later open it with 1.26, there won't be any problem.
But If you were using 1.26 and later open it with an older version (1.24 or older), there might be a problem.

So for your answer, yes it can. I'm not sure about the language, though. But I'm sure there won't be any problem.

Ok, so when all those maps that were old (like FM Vampire Hunter) crash during load in 1.26, that means they were an earlier version that 1.24? So basically 1.24 is safe to use if i am planning on releasing a map to the 1.26 community (assuming 1.27 is the same basically as 1.26)

Many thanks for your help guys!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Some very old maps will not work with modern WC3 versions due to the original type cast exploit being patched for security reasons. Some mechanic changes between patches might break some random stuff with maps but should not stop them from loading.

This site only supports the most recent version of 1.27. If you are using/developing with an older version of WC3 then there is no guarantee that people can help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.