• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Diablo IV suggestions & comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Who fucking cares.
The players? If they cannot progress because a single Enigma is unobtainable?

I played a lot of Diablo II. I only once managed to get an Enigma, and only because robots were still flooding the market so prices were low so I could trade unidentified Torches for high runes. After they banned all the robots it was economically not viable for a free to play person without winning the lottery to get an Enigma as the HR needed for an Enigma would require selling hundreds of Torches to obtain, of which at least 1/4 of buyers were scammers so a pain to deal with. Out of the thousands of hours I farmed hell mode I never had any valuable HRs drop.

At least in Diablo III I can speed 100 hours and be sure I will hit GR 70 solo reliably. Even if it is with a set different from the one I set out to get.
Look at a game like Path of Exile, it gets by just fine and that's a modern day ARPG with a trading system identical to Diablo 2s. It's something that only matters if your prerogative is $$$. Nobody that actually cares about their video game is upset that their game is so popular that people will go out of their way to "cheat" to make money from it.
You know that is the very definition of "pay to win" right? When someone can go to a third party site and buy all the progress you spent 1,000 hours doing and rub you into the floor with it on leaderboards and PvP...

Now speaking on items, Diablo 3 failed in every aspect. The game released with "Legendary" items being worthless, then RoS turned them into "Best in slot", to me both outcomes were equally horrible and lazy. The game design went from bad to bad, nothing changed. You can only bandaid fix a fundamentally flawed system so much.
And a better system would be? Remember that "best in slot" is always a single item, so no matter how diverse your gear is only 1 item with 1 item type will have that award.

Diablo II showed this very much. Sure the type of item that was "best in slot" changed between build and character but ultimately it still was just 1 item. For example Hammerdin, and most non-sorceress farming heroes, would always have Enigma as the armor because no other armor gave you teleport. Some choice right?!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69

I think they could play it smarter with cosmetic microtransactions selling those which are not Diablo related and leaving Diablo material free and unlockable/findable in the game.
By non-Diablo material, I mean, for instance, something like Orgrimm Doomhammer's armour set.

Level 11

Seems like a decent Diablo game, the atmosphere, story and all. I hope they don't F it up with "season passes" and similar garbage.
Too bad Diablo III is so boring to play that I just cannot see myself running up huge hours in it anymore... I used to play it quite a lot in the past as well, but doubt that will factor in.
Same for me. The first playthrough was a blast and I even enjoyed the "Adventure mode" for a while, but now it's not fun anymore. D1-2 have much more replayability value.

One more thing: I've recently played Torchlight 3 and it's a nightmare of cooldown abilities spamming. At least in D3 it was somewhat... less annoying, I guess?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
70$ for base edition? And for a game that's essentially Diablo 2 in an open world with better graphics. Thank you, but no thank you. I'll pass.
The thing is, I want it to be "essentially Diablo 2". I believe most fans of the series would agree that Diablo 2 was the best of the three and that it's also the basis for basically every ARPG to ever come out since then. So I personally feel that the farther away from D3 this game is and the closer to D2 the better, but I also really hated Diablo 3 and still have dreams of bad things happening to Jay Wilson.

Diablo 3 removed everything I enjoyed about it's predecessor -> It removed/butchered features like pvp/trading, cut player count in half from 8 to 4, had cartoony graphics and corny storytelling (subjective I suppose), it had terrible item design/balance by removing a majority of the interesting item affixes and reasons to keep/use anything other than Unique items (Legendaries), it had lackluster character customization with free respecs, primary attributes, personalized loot, and much more which removed any meaningful decisions that would set you apart from others. Plus the "great" addition of the Real Money Auction House... Need I say more?

I want all of those missing features and missing depth to be added back to the game, which does make the game essentially Diablo 2, but I would also like to see them expand upon those features. For example, what better environment to improve trading than an open world? Sounds like the perfect place for a trade bazaar, replace all of those NPCs in Lut Gholein with real people!

Of course I understand wanting something new/different, especially if you've grown tired of the same old formula. But in my opinion that should be reserved for a new series, I don't want another Diablo 3 that makes too many drastic changes. Like if Warcraft 4 were to be made today I would much prefer another Warcraft 3 clone with some added spice over something that doesn't resemble Warcraft at all.

About the price, I'm not happy about it either but that's going to be the new norm and other games have already adopted this. Like 15 years ago the same thing happened with $60 becoming the new price ceiling and I wasn't happy about that either. Oh well, what are you going to do about that, besides stop buying "AAA" games. I will of course wait until reviews for Diablo 4 come out and watch other people play the open beta before buying it. Anyone that pre-orders this game either lives under a rock or just likes the abuse.

Last edited:
Level 11
70$ for base edition?
mibucks20.png

Status
Not open for further replies.