• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Diablo AOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I want to try making an AOS type map based in the Diablo universe. Has anyone seen one before?

I think the hero skills will be partially based on the hero you pick and partially your own picks, similar to the newer "Pick Your Ability" and "Hand of Sorrow Knight" maps.

Right now, it's set on Mount Arreat, and the game plays out in 2 lanes that circle the summit and Worldstone Keep. I chose this winter setting partially because of the climactic nature of this location in Diablo 2, and partially because of the nostalgia regarding DotA's old winter tileset.

It will be a bit non-canon as far as heroes - I want all the major figures from Hell and the "Good side," (actually a mixture of two factions: Heaven and Earth) such as the Lesser and Prime Evils, Tyrael, the major mortal heroes and villains (Horazon, Bartuc, Aust, Nihilathak, etc.).

Currently, heroes will have abilities broken down into the following categories, again heavily inspired by PYA and HoSK:

1 unique ability that the hero always has based on that hero, automatically levels as the hero levels (Duriel summons scarab minions)

3 picked hero abilities, chosen by the player from a pool of 9 abilities unique to that hero (Duriel's spell pool currently consists of: Charge, Jab, Cold Aura, Impale, Quicksand, Pain Spike, and Spiked Carapace)

1 generic ability that any hero can pick, chosen by the player from a pool of several dozen (supplemental skills like slow or bloodlust)

There may be a system of passive abilities, however a few hero abilities are passive (for example, Duriel's famous cold aura).

Anyone have anything from the Diablo universe that you think would make an AOS based on it unique? A cow level area? I know Diablo is an item-based game, but I'd really like this AOS to be more "skill based" and not "who can farm the cheese items faster."

PS: Yes, I have gotten a prototype (but working) Frozen Orb triggered spell made up!

Level 6
I haven't seen one like that myself. Sounds like a good idea though. Balancing the skills is going to be a beast.

Level 8
Ha yeah, I have Duriel's skills all finished and I started making Mephisto. His one skill is very imba at the moment. I think Frozen Orb will be hard to make non-imba as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.