• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Diablo 3 - What we know so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I made this thread to re-cap everything we know about diablo 3 so far, from what we've seen in the D3 website. You guys can add stuff, because I'll probably miss a lot.

-5 classes

-Barbarian and witch doctor are 2 of the 5

-Not a MMORPG

-Single player available

-Multiplayer over battle.net

-No more potions (probably, though it may still be too early to assume)

-Female and male versions of all classes are available (This probably kills off amazons as a possible class)

-Weapons can enchanted with frost, lightning, fire and possibly others.

-A new system which allows quick swap between skills and abilities with the use of the mouse scroll or the Tab key

-Class specific quests

-Deckard Cain is good with the ladies

Level 4
-The girl from the trailer is named Leah.
-A mass of additional-class specific-quests.
-The loot will remain random.
-The gold will be picked up automatically - no need to point'n'click for small values of gold from now on.
-Hardcore mode will be featured.
-Art design and atmosphere changes will be implemented to replace some of the current design ideas.
-All of the areas will be randomly generated, except for main towns, setlements, other important places.
-You'll meet other still-surviving characters from previous Diablo games.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Some people have reported seing potions with atribute names. Maybe attributes will affect damage more and these will become "tempory powerups"?

The AI for minions like summons seems greatly improved from the seen footage, they actualy charge at enemies and avoid obsticals.

Many objects like doors and tables can be destroyed now. This may be useful for summoners who like open spaces.

Dungeons are no longer mansion-like buildings with floor after floor of rooms. They now feature bridges and big open spaces which certianly relaxes the atmosphere and will mean getting around will be a lot easier as exits may be more obvious. It is yet unknown if it is possiable to see other players on floors above or below you or even if the different floors are on the same map as each other. If so this could lead to interesting stratergies invloving the ability to break objects in hardcore (Warning watchout for falling objects anyone?).

Level 12
I made this thread to re-cap everything we know about diablo 3 so far, from what we've seen in the D3 website. You guys can add stuff, because I'll probably miss a lot.

-5 classes

-Barbarian and witch doctor are 2 of the 5

-Not a MMORPG

-Single player available

-Multiplayer over battle.net

-No more potions (probably, though it may still be too early to assume)

-Female and male versions of all classes are available (This probably kills off amazons as a possible class)

-Weapons can enchanted with frost, lightning, fire and possibly others.

-A new system which allows quick swap between skills and abilities with the use of the mouse scroll or the Tab key

-Class specific quests

-Deckard Cain is good with the ladies

So I guess the guy narrating the game play was wrong?(by the way they were referring to mana and HP pots) Dude they decided to get rid of potions(mana and HP) and REPLACE the potion belt with spells, thats official, so everybody stop assuming its not official. Keep thinking this is very ignorant.
Now potions that boost stamina, potion bombs etc would be good for a roleplay, and most likely will be in diablo 3, but not HP and mana pots.(if anyone watched the game play video)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
If their are no pots, then that means that badies will proably deal more well scaled and ballenced damage meaning you will take a few hits to die and are not OH killed by some badies. All D2 players know the feared hell wisps which even max immune builds died to. Or the rigged vipers by nithak which dealt insane physical damage of multiple thousands a frame.

Basically potions in D2 were nearly vital to survive. Hopefully by them removing them it means that badies will take a lot of hits to kill you even late game which would certainly make end game easier (ofcourse if you are a low level and crap geared, you should be dieing fast). Such was noticable when you died reaching Baal due to or the rigged badies which almost everyone hit for more damage on the way yet could solo baal while he deals near no damage to you.

Level 4
It was already said that health/mana potions will remain in the game. I don't realize from what freakin' place you got that mind-boggling idea about removal of those potions. Now, why Blizzard would keep health potions, you may ask. The answer is pretty simple: the boss fights. Imagine if you push your ass to some monstrosity and there aren't any health orbs 'round because your stupid character has automatically picked them up. That would mean insta-death actually, especially at later levels - you won't be able to heal your char because there won't be any possibility besides openin' some town portal and runnin' to Pepin or Leah to fully heal. That's when health potions step in. Of course there may be another scenario: these health orbs are an arcade feature. So they may spawn from time to time in the boss arena. That's also a thought.
But still health orbs aren't actually useful unless you set them to not pick-up automatically, rather clicking on them. That way you could actually save up some of them incase you have 99/100 hp and you don't want to be healed ~20hp by one of those orbs. That would be utter mistake. But maybe those orbs heal by percentage...hmm there won't be need to implement different levels of orbs (as in Minor Health Orb, Super Health Orb and so on).

Also think that things such as respecs and health orbs shouldn't be presented in hardcore and ladder. That would only ruin the gameplay for die-hards and make noobs to climb up ladder as easy is to say 'Rakanishu'. We need real game, not some barbie's pony land.

Level 9
Maybe bosses could spawn heath/mana orbs as they lose hp..

They did that in GoW with the final boss Ares. He spawned heath and mana orbs as he was losing hp, but the fight was still hard and you needed to be good to beat him.

Level 6
So I guess the guy narrating the game play was wrong?(by the way they were referring to mana and HP pots) Dude they decided to get rid of potions(mana and HP) and REPLACE the potion belt with spells, thats official, so everybody stop assuming its not official. Keep thinking this is very ignorant.
Now potions that boost stamina, potion bombs etc would be good for a roleplay, and most likely will be in diablo 3, but not HP and mana pots.(if anyone watched the game play video)
You know the potions in this game may work like World of Warcraft's potions, containing cooldowns and are hard to find. If they have them.

Level 14
You have always been able to buy potions in town. I doubt they would change that. If there are potions in the game then you likely will be able to buy them easily enough. I think they just wanted to make the game less dependant on potions.

Level 7
Potions are out of the game officially as of the gameplay video. Instead monsters drop orbs that heal you to keep the pace of combat fast. We can asume they heal more as the monsters get harder so you don't get killed.

Diablo3.com watch the gameplay video its not too far in.

Level 12
Yea seriously, you guys are just ignoring whats said on it, no more HP and mana potions. Something different is better anyway. It wont be unbalanced or anything.. you just assuming it wont, you know blizzard they wont fail us, no matter how much or what they take out

Level 7
Thanks gosh. It seemed like the others didn't even watch the video and see it(I posted first check the page :D).

Anyways I still think the game is gonna rox. Do you really think the blizzard we know and love is gonna make Diablo fucking 3 a teh suxorz game? I extremely doubt it.

Level 9
I am so tired of this..

HE NEVER SAID THAT POTIONS HAVE BEEN REMOVED COMPLETELY. All he said was "To keep the pace of combat going, we've added a new type of dropped item"

IN NO WAY, DOES THAT IMPLY COMPLETE REMOVAL OF POTIONS..

JESUS!

Level 5
Ofc, people should still be able to carry around potions of their own.
What happens when you're playing with 7 other players and you all need the same health-crystal? You're all going to run to it, and the other 7 people are going to die.

There's also the possibility of stealing all the crystals in spite of other characters :/

Level 23
Not true Anything.

The orbs are just like runes in warcraft 3. It will be distributing health to the whole party. (at least those who is nearby, you can see that in the gameplay teaser).

Also even if it wasnt, diablo 3 has a new loot system customized for each player. I think that if the thing I said above was not the case, then orbs would spawn in the same way as the loot.

Level 14
I am so tired of this..

HE NEVER SAID THAT POTIONS HAVE BEEN REMOVED COMPLETELY. All he said was "To keep the pace of combat going, we've added a new type of dropped item"

IN NO WAY, DOES THAT IMPLY COMPLETE REMOVAL OF POTIONS..

JESUS!

Agreed.

People read into things that aren't there.

Everyone, stop saying that potions are gone and now that they only drop from monsters in orb form. That's not true at all, we don't know, not yet.

Level 13
Ofc, people should still be able to carry around potions of their own.
What happens when you're playing with 7 other players and you all need the same health-crystal? You're all going to run to it, and the other 7 people are going to die.

There's also the possibility of stealing all the crystals in spite of other characters :/
Except Diablo III has a loot system where the loot is shared and everyone only sees the loot which is given to them and not the loot given to others. So unless the orbs heal the whole group, they're most likely going to use the same system.

Level 3
"Dungeons are no longer mansion-like buildings with floor after floor of rooms. They now feature bridges and big open spaces which certianly relaxes the atmosphere and will mean getting around will be a lot easier as exits may be more obvious."

I haven't been keeping up with the reports and rumors. So, does the above mean that they're building the indoor dungeons more like the outdoor areas in D II: the jungle, the desert, etc.?

Level 2
Potions are out of the game officially as of the gameplay video. Instead monsters drop orbs that heal you to keep the pace of combat fast. We can asume they heal more as the monsters get harder so you don't get killed.

Diablo3.com watch the gameplay video its not too far in.

If you watch the trailer full screen, somewhere you can find a "minor healig potion", the narrator briefly highlighted it.

Level 12
And do you even remember patch 1.22 :hohum:?

I had the impression we were talking games being made, not "patches" Besides one of the only problems with the patch is it killed programs like newgen.

Btw if you guys read what I said, I said Health and Mana pots, of course they will still have potions but not the normal HP/Mana pots, and theres no potion belt.

Seriously face the facts and stop ignoring them, a lot of you act like this is a rumor or a temporary thing, theres no more pots and mana pots. No more pot belt, they have been replaced, now "Maybe" there might be rare potions that replenish HP and mana pot, but you guys think its the end of the world and the game is gonna suck, seriously just stop bitching, the game is going to be great, they are trying no things, and they suceed in making good games. Seriously its not the end of the world stop assuming its going to be imbalanced, infact pvp wise it balances things, in D2 if 2 guys wee just as strong as each other, its whoever has the most pots wins... This way it will actually take skill, and things like someone waiting till they have 1HP health then use a pot and kill you... This way its fair, your saying its not because everyone is used to have a belt of pots in PVP and while gaming. Look at guild wars, they dont use pots, but they use spells to heal them. Works perfectly fine that way, if they use orbs same as loot system the game will be great. They wont be wasteful they will prob drop when your starting to get low on health/mana.

Its possible there are rare pots that give HP/Mana, but the whole common concept of them is pretty much gone, they were replaced by orbs.

Potions in general won't be gone, but Health and mana orbs, maybe stam orbs replaced them.

If you watch the trailer full screen, somewhere you can find a "minor healig potion", the narrator briefly highlighted it.

I just wanted to let you know real quick that they weren't playing legit in that video, infact they cheated big time through out that entire video, to show us the cool stuff.

Level 9
Here we go again..

You're speaking as if you know for sure. Potions were replaced by orbs? Did i read that correctly? Were? Are you from the future?

Please show me the damn video/source where you got this idiotic idea of potions being completely removed..

Level 8
I had the impression we were talking games being made, not "patches" Besides one of the only problems with the patch is it killed programs like newgen.

That's a horrible excuse for your idiocy. I was talking about the "You know blizzard won't fail us" part. Besides it took a fucking year for that "update that will help extend Warcraft 3's modding life-span.", and throughout the beta test none of the bugs that were reported were even fixed, PLUS several people had to download additional software for Warcraft 3 on it's own to work.

punwisp said:
Btw if you guys read what I said, I said Health and Mana pots, of course they will still have potions but not the normal HP/Mana pots, and theres no potion belt.
punwisp said:
Yea seriously, you guys are just ignoring whats said on it, no more HP and mana potions. Something different is better anyway. It wont be unbalanced or anything.. you just assuming it wont, you know blizzard they wont fail us, no matter how much or what they take out

Self explanatory.

punwisp said:
Seriously face the facts and stop ignoring them,

Look at yourself first.

punwisp said:
a lot of you act like this is a rumor or a temporary thing, theres no more pots and mana pots. No more pot belt, they have been replaced, now "Maybe" there might be rare potions that replenish HP and mana pot,

Stop counteracting your own post.

punwisp said:
but you guys think its the end of the world and the game is gonna suck, seriously just stop bitching,

It looks like your bitching to me.

punwisp said:
the game is going to be great, they are trying no things, and they suceed in making good games.

Not a fact.

punwisp said:
Seriously its not the end of the world stop assuming its going to be imbalanced,

It's not the end of the world, and what makes you believe that it's even balanced at all?

punwisp said:
infact pvp wise it balances things, in D2 if 2 guys wee just as strong as each other, its whoever has the most pots wins... This way it will actually take skill, and things like someone waiting till they have 1HP health then use a pot and kill you... This way its fair, your saying its not because everyone is used to have a belt of pots in PVP and while gaming. Look at guild wars, they dont use pots, but they use spells to heal them. Works perfectly fine that way, if they use orbs same as loot system the game will be great. They wont be wasteful they will prob drop when your starting to get low on health/mana.

But Diablo never fucking was about PvP, Guild Wars was about PvP. Learn the difference.

punwisp said:
Its possible there are rare pots that give HP/Mana, but the whole common concept of them is pretty much gone, they were replaced by orbs.

Potions in general won't be gone, but Health and mana orbs, maybe stam orbs replaced them.

And you assume that's a good thing?

punwisp said:
I just wanted to let you know real quick that they weren't playing legit in that video, infact they cheated big time through out that entire video, to show us the cool stuff.

The only true thing in this idiotic wall of text, only they didn't "cheat" they created the whole level and bosses to show us what Diablo 3's features are like.

Status
Not open for further replies.