• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Solved] 'Defense Type Change' Upgrade + Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hey everyone, I'm currently working on a map update to my most roleplay popular map online on Battle.net. Currently, I'm trying to make an Upgrade/Research to one of the units that applies a Defense Type Change and also an attack damage bonus.

I've scoured the net, and there are no answers to be found about 'Defense Type Change' outside that it, supposedly, changes the defense type.

I can for certain tell, it does jack, or at least, that's all I've seen it being able to do.

What it's suppose to do once Researched
  • Change the defense/armor type of unit from unarmored to large. (Defense Type Change - effect 1)
  • Increase damage value by 2 (Attack Damage Bonus - effect 2)
  • Applies to all active and future units.
What it is doing:
  • Not changing armor type at all.
  • Applying increased damage only to future trained units, ignoring active ones.
I've tried the following methods.
  1. Making sure Unit has said upgrades in the 'Upgrades used'
  2. Marking 'True' for Applies to All Units, which didn't seem to do anything.
  3. Setting it as first in Upgrades Used on the Unit, nothing.
I would like to only be able to solve this by using the Object Editor, while I am experienced in using GUI Triggers, I'll rather avoid them unless necessary. I do not have any skill in JASS outside of a few script lines I've borrowed that fixes spellbook issues on transformations.

Any ideas?

Level 15
This seems to be a bug. The change defense upgrade does not set the defense type to a new type, but adds an integer number to the old armor type. Press ctrl+D to see the numbers.
The reinforced defenses upgrade from the orcs uses medium even though it changes the armor to fortified. This is because medium has a value of 1, Large has 2 and Fortified has 3. So 2+1=3.
Since unarmored has 7, which is the highest you cannot change it with this upgrade. Anyhow this upgrade is bugged so I would try to avoid using it in general.

You could create 2 unit types and use the troll berserker upgrade system to upgrade the unit to a different unit with another armor type.

Level 8
This seems to be a bug. The change defense upgrade does not set the defense type to a new type, but adds an integer number to the old armor type. Press ctrl+D to see the numbers.
The reinforced defenses upgrade from the orcs uses medium even though it changes the armor to fortified. This is because medium has a value of 1, Large has 2 and Fortified has 3. So 2+1=3.
Since unarmored has 7, which is the highest you cannot change it with this upgrade. Anyhow this upgrade is bugged so I would try to avoid using it in general.

You could create 2 unit types and use the troll berserker upgrade system to upgrade the unit to a different unit with another armor type.

Thank you very much for the informative reply! I didn't know there were a hidden value to the armor types. I will try the Troll Berserker upgrade instead.

Level 15
Did not know it either. Just tried to use the defense change upgrade myself. As it did not work I took a look at the orc reinforced defenses upgrades, but it used mdium so I made some tests and found this out. I wonder why they did not fix this bug even though they were aware of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.