• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

deepstrasz's recycled campaigns

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Description

These are maps from three of my cancelled campaigns. There are a total of three interludes and 5 levels. One of them is the recycled base for my current project.
It's classic Warcraft III styled. Some levels have a somewhat custom techtree and others are hero focused.

Everybody's gotta' start somehow. It was a shame to just leave them lost to oblivion. A lot of kiddish stuff therein.

All levels are visible in the campaign menu. You can try whichever you want.

DISCLAIMER: the work on these is discontinued. Only report game impeding bugs. Thank you.

Credits

Blizzard Entertainment for making Warcraft III and its editor
The Hive Workshop for keeping the map in its database
Vexorian's Optimizer: Default Wc3mapoptimizer 5.0

Screenshots

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

History

~2005-2010: creation of the maps inside the .w3n
2016: uploaded to this site
01/16/2016: updated based on Mechanical Man's post
01/28/2016: update after Horselord12's report
26/02/2019: open source version of the maps (post)
Contents

deepstrasz's recycled campaigns (Campaign)

Reviews
Rufus
I can't really say that the terrain is beautiful, as it is on a pretty basic level. I did like shredding those creeps with two level 10 heroes. The trees just dies randomly without any clear reason after picking up the first crystal. Why should they...
Level 6
Huh this should be put into some kind of category but i don't know which one
Also why did you dispose of these campaign they all seem nice in my opinion
The terrain could need a little fixing but overall things are working out fine

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Huh this should be put into some kind of category but i don't know which one
Yeah, there's no tag for this kind of stuff either.
Also why did you dispose of these campaign they all seem nice in my opinion
Well, because the premises are really childish and if I'd "continue" the work on them I'd have to almost if not completely change the story or use the terrains for/as some other project. I wouldn't want to create alternate content to already alternate pre- or post-TFT stories. That would be silly and confusing.

I appreciate the time you've spent on this.

Level 4
Just played it for several hours. cool campaign. this campagin is easy, all campaign are great, cool storyline and gameplay. terrain for me to view is awesome, how u put the stone and trees is very special. Some units are very well-made, i like the most is the custom satyr race, they have chaos attack, and dark wisp, the harvest gold animation of it is very cool and it's hard to see in other campaign. illidan campaign is the best, good story, good terrain, i can see u have used most your heart to create it although u are not a professional trigger designer. Sadly, AI is not smart, and act stupidly. But overall, it is a well-made campaign.

Level 4
Sorry about that, lol. But these campaign, i know u have paid many times and made it with your heart, although it is few chapters and u doesn't have many knowledge to trigger. As for my early campaig ( of course i didn't upload it anywhere, as it's very bad ), it even cant match with you, such as making a cinematic, gameplays, techtrees are far better than mine. Corruption of the Prince is well-made just because I have 4 years experience on world editor, it takes me 6 months to make and i m a lazy guy. so making an campaign is very hard work for me. I can see your work and heart to your campaign, so I should give u high rating.

Level 6
Yeah, there's no tag for this kind of stuff either.

Well, because the premises are really childish and if I'd "continue" the work on them I'd have to almost if not completely change the story or use the terrains for/as some other project. I wouldn't want to create alternate content to already alternate pre- or post-TFT stories. That would be silly and confusing.

I appreciate the time you've spent on this.
Also if it's possible you should keep the Illidan Campaign as a back up plan because i think you could make progress with that campaign the unit were nice the tech tree could use some work but the campaign should do great work if you put your heart into it and a little of imagination and creativity to makes things more fun and i will give you high rating for effort if i could ever find that button ^_^

I played pretty much over all chapters. First I watched prologues, I guess it's ok, I'm not into cinematics. First map of the Notes from underground is a bit boring with bad terrain which consists only of a narrow passage maze with blizzard cliffs and controlling two heroes. For some reason those crystal models don't disappear when you pick them up. In the end I couldn't finish the map after final cinematic (if it's supposed to be final cinematic) because filter turned to black I that was it. I didn't play the second map because there was no quest description and objectives whatsoever.
Dwarves from Khaz Modan looked more promising, but making units to start a base during a cinematic isn't a good practice unless you pull it very well. By building a barracks you still can't train units, because you require another building as requirement for that unit. And there were no melee units at the disposal! Those footmen came a bit late and they were limited. There was some building with golem icon with tooltip missing and the worker couldn't finish building it. When I reached the fountain, a cinematic started, losing my control over units which were supposed to defend my base against being slaughtered. Although terrain is hardly good, still better than on other maps, because at least there was some more space for the units. Also the vial was a bit harder to find.
The second map is more boring honestly, again visiting villages in a heavy dense forest with narrow passages, the whole map with starting units. It's rather long map and it has that annoying feature of old RTS games, where you must search for every single enemy which is a pain without map cheat. I had to cheat in the end to find missing ghouls.
Illidan campaign is much better, featuring a custom race and better terrain with less narrow passages, however this may be also attributed to the better tileset. The race lacked many features, there was no reason to go up to tier 3 really as you didn't get any new upgrades or units. Also satyrs are quite similar to each other. It was quite challenging at the first glance though, but mana burn did its job. Maybe the complaint is that tier 1 units became a bit obsolete.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
An update based on @Mechanical Man's above post.

NftU:
-fixed crystals not disappearing
-added black mask to the first level
-included victory message at the end of the above mentioned map
-inserted a quest requirement for the second level
-also put a victory condition + black mask in

RotDoKM:
-removed misplaced Golem from the Peasant in the first level
-undead will no longer attack during the fountain cinematic scene (1st level)
-in the second map, the enemy will come after the player if their numbers get below 10

Last edited:
Level 6
An update based on @Mechanical Man's above post.

NftU:
-fixed crystals not disappearing
-added black mask to the first level
-included victory message at the end of the above mentioned map
-inserted a quest requirement for the second level
-also put a victory condition + black mask in

RotDoKM:
-removed misplaced Golem from the Peasant in the first level
-undead will no longer attack during the fountain cinematic scene (1st level)
-in the second map, the enemy will come after the player if their numbers get below 10

Good update looking forward to playing it again

Level 5
Khazmodan prologue: The very first transmission of the Prophet is impossible to read, it needs to be more timed for longer duration.
Khazmodan 1st mission:
-The optional quest's initial trigger started to run during the cinematic when the Dwarf hero found the fountain(Quest message etc.), and somehow it runned again twice when I returned to it later.
-There could be a better indication like a message to send villagers to the armor rack doodad to arm them.(Probably not obvious for everyone.)
Khazmodan 2nd mission:
-The Beginning cinematic after about one and half minute started to run again.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Minimal update based on @Horselord12's report:

-fixed the first transmission in the interlude
-the optional quest message in level 1 will now show properly
-hint and ping added for the revived units (1st level)
-the intro cinematic scene in the second level will not be reappearing

Level 26
I can't really say that the terrain is beautiful, as it is on a pretty basic level. I did like shredding those creeps with two level 10 heroes. The trees just dies randomly without any clear reason after picking up the first crystal. Why should they be there in the first place? The crystal have no death animation, so I was unsure if I had icked them up or not.
The camera in the cinematic is just locked to the hero in both the dwarwen and thrall mission. This creates a quite bad cinematic.

There is really lots more to say, but to make it short: Overall It was really sloppy work.
Now, I understand those are old projects of yours and thereby the quality is quite low. I am quite surprised that you would upload this kind of quality, to be honest, when your other maps are much more interesting.

I cannot approve this. This belongs in substandard.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I don't know if this is a bug, but I summoned spirit wolves on the lower platform (chapter 1) and they could simply climb to the upper one. That's how one crystal was unreachable to me.
It might be because I've placed no blockers/closed elevator doors. However, the level can be completed. Every crystal can be taken/reached.

Level 7
This i call a profesionally made Campaign! Your landscape terraining is perfect and you're gameplay is very similar to the Wc3 campaign and my map. You could add some more puzzles, traps and dungeon or city buildings (create some own temples or palaces). This campaign has for sure even more potential. I think this campaign should be approved now.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
This i call a profesionally made Campaign!
Ratings like these make me wish for a like-dislike system.
This is not theoretically a campaign, it's a collection of three demos of which only the third is something deserving attention.
I disagree with this being anywhere but Substandard.

EDIT: about traps and puzzles. Back then I wanted to make something more in the RoC feel. I wasn't pretty good with triggers.

Last edited: