• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Death Penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
But what if Raskolnikov did not feel remorse after killing the two women? Infact his murder was quite planned and not spontanious like most murders.

Also do you think he would have turned himself in in if the sentance was torture and death, rather then penal servitude? Even in the end he manages to redeem himself thanks to his wife's support.

I see, you've googled it, but haven't read. Crime was the only thing on his mind since it happened.

Level 18
But thats so unrelated! You know people are diffrent and some might think about the crime later and some will just not care and get away with it. Plus the whole book is against your torture death idea.

Level 7
I support the death penalty. A problem with "Life imprisonment" is it usually means 8 to 20 years (At least in the USA, UK and a host of other countries).

Is 8 to 20 years the value of a human life?

Now, if we knew that that a specific person was never going to commit a crime again Then yes having them serve that period of time would be fine.( for example most non-premeditated murders 8 to 20 years is probably good, most of them will probably never kill someone again)

So lets look at real life imprisonment, Think of the cost of housing the person and providing them medical care, its not worth it.
Now I do realize that currently the expense of The Death Penalty is Ridiculously high. And they house the people for a way too long of time before killing them. (I do realize that it is meant to prevent them from killing innocent people) But there has to be a better way then having those thousands of appeals etc.. like having exactly one appeal to a higher court at a fixed date from the original conviction. Which decides whether there is enough evidence to warrant their execution and then sends them off at dawn the next day.

Would you like to live next to someone who is a paroled serial killer?

When Life in prison doesn't mean Life
A little on Repeat offenders in the UK

Level 6
Plus the whole book is against your torture death idea.

I don't care.
You don't know what a crime is. Only those who do it like everyday deed don't care of any in particular. For any normal man the mental punishment comes along with crime. Or even, in this case, before, because Raskolnikov was planning this.

Level 18
@Ender
Those 8 to 20 years are ment to prevent the person from doing harm to the outside and hopefuly reabilitate them into society.
Why waste money on a tunnel when you can just give a bunch of prisoners shovels.

@Wizard

Youre going back to "have a good day" mode again. I dont know what a crime is? Huh?

Only those who do it like everyday deed don't care of any in particular. For any normal man the mental punishment comes along with crime. Or even, in this case, before, because Raskolnikov was planning this.

But if every criminal is mentaly punished then how does crime become an everyday deed without moral remorse insome. Plus Raskolnikov is a literraly character, he will do whatever the author tells him.

Level 27
Something like crucifixion.
No.

The reason why is simple.

We stopped doing that a long time ago.

Why did we stop doing it?

It should be pretty obvious.

People have become more civilized.
I don't care if some innocent people die.
Then die.
Why should I? I'm not christian at all.
Yes, generally, you aren't a fan of book before you've even read it.
And will you listen to me? I doubt.
Why?
When you see anyone being tortured for rape, you lose any ideas such as rape on your own, don't you?
That, or you acquire a sexual pleasure response to pain, torture and death, in addition to rape.
Well, that isn't correct for mentally ill. Such as them should be detected before any accidents.
Yes, because people are idiots and never avoid detection nor know how to do so.

The easiest way to detect someone with malicious intent is to raise them to believe there are no consequences for their actions. They'll have no reason to censor themselves in any way, and their true intentions will be incredibly easy to spot.

Of course that means not raising your child to understand morals at all.

Level 18
I am but some Christians like me hate those grave crimes so much that I would be happy to let them suffer a painful death...

:con:

"You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you... whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also." Mat. 5:38-39

"But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." Mat. 6:15

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse... Repay no one evil for evil... do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I Will repay," says the Lord." Rom. 12:14, 17, 19

Level 14
Because we all know how well things work out when you turn prisons into facilities that generate profit.

For example Corrections Corporation of America lobbies for tougher laws (such as keeping drugs illegal) to get more people in prisons it runs, to generate more profit.

Level 21
Because we all know how well things work out when you turn prisons into facilities that generate profit.

For example Corrections Corporation of America lobbies for tougher laws (such as keeping drugs illegal) to get more people in prisons it runs, to generate more profit.

Just putting them on an island would fix this. Although, it would create other problems.

Level 27
I don't actually respect the UN as an authority to determine what human rights are. I'm sure they have some good ideas, but I'm also sure they have some pretty skewed perspectives that would make any normal person cringe.

Level 2
You have got this all wrong comrades. Why kill them, or even torture them when these unwanted persons can be used as cheap labour for coal mines, conscripts during war (as cannon fodder), or just sent off to siberia.

The thing about torture is this, are we (society) going to stoop down to their (criminals level) of conduct or are we going to stay above it?
I mean think about it is the man who tortures a criminal to death in some cruel grotesque R-rated way any different from the criminal who tortured someone to death in a cruel grotesque R-rated way. I mean your torturer would have to be a Sociopath of the same sort that your criminal is.

As for killing criminals, what if you were wrong? execution should only be done when you are very very very certain the person committed the crime.

Remember a criminal has rights before and after his crime. (but while the major crime in progress, major as in life sentence-able) the criminal does not have rights (because protecting a victim is more important the protecting a criminal.)

My opinion of drug dealers is a bit different, they are rich and find all sorts of ways to escape punishment (the drug lords at least) And what they do is cause people to become criminals. Think on it, They get stupid teens/gradeschoolers hooked on horrible life wrecking drugs passed as candy, or something cool. And after the hook is in they pull harder and harder charging more and more until the druggie spends their time between stealing for drugs and "flying high".

Level 18
158487-albums5564-picture70928.gif

TFW beeing a notorious troll and rulebreaker that got banned several times but still reports people for rulebreaking and trolling, getting them banned
Also multi account calls for multiban.

But to be serious for a moment, your making the christian guy inside of me feel uncomfortable, dont get so upset over this, beg the admin for mersy, if that doesent work, take your conciquences as a man and do your time. Almost nothing personal.

-ontopic
@commie
:thumbs_up:

Level 2
It seems that most of you would be very harsh to offenders, some in such a way that they would actually have them suffer an equal faith as their victims. In my opinion, death penalty is just as bad as murder. It has no justification whatsoever.

I don't believe in punishment, it's just another word for revenge. Prison is a way of keeping the streets safe, and I support that. It gives convicts the time to reconsider, to learn, to reflect, to develop. Punishment is bullshit, and it achieves nothing. I'm the living proof of that. People, how rotten they may be, have potential to become something awesome, something else. Nobody, not even Hakeem, whose intellect I acknowledge and respect, has the wits to see through a person and determine whether or not they have something left to offer to our society. Unless, of course, you want to ignore their potential.

People are very, very complex.

I have no opinion on criminally ill people, yet, though.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
You have got this all wrong comrades. Why kill them, or even torture them when these unwanted persons can be used as cheap labour for coal mines, conscripts during war (as cannon fodder), or just sent off to siberia.
The cost of just housing an average prisoner is roughly $40,000 per year. Close to $70,000 if the prisoner is 50 or older. If you are trying to look at this purely fiscally, life time prison sentences should cost society way more than penal labor can generate/the services it provides are worth.

It's to lessen the cost of housing more than it is gaining something out of it.

Level 18
-Quote removed by Maker-

158487-albums5564-picture69505.jpg

The cost of just housing an average prisoner is roughly $40,000 per year. Close to $70,000 if the prisoner is 50 or older. If you are trying to look at this purely fiscally, life time prison sentences should cost society way more than penal labor can generate/the services it provides are worth.

It's to lessen the cost of housing more than it is gaining something out of it.

Me and my whole family in balkanistan live with around 1500$ a year. Prisons are wasting too much money on needless things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 16
Okay, from the posts I read up to the second page, this should converge to a discussion of whether there should be any punishment, and whether punishment is justified yes?

Pro's "we should punish criminals"
Cons "No, just put them in jail to prevent further crime and never avenge"

maybe we have to examin this from the littlest to the biggest crime

Level 6
Humans don't create people but god created them so we are not allowed to take people's life god knows what to do them (but they will not sent them to hell) instead when Jesus Christ will own the Earth again they will not be ressurected anymore..

This is not trolling and PLEASE READ BIBLE... this is true..

Level 6
Humans don't create people but god created them so we are not allowed to take people's life god knows what to do them (but they will not sent them to hell) instead when Jesus Christ will own the Earth again they will not be ressurected anymore..

This is not trolling and PLEASE READ BIBLE... this is true..

Lol, btw, in our country people would be sent to jail if they don't agree with you like me :D (that's one of the new laws)
I don't agree with you because it's too easy to give up punishment and leave everything to god (who isn't even proved to exist). We have to be sure that criminal was punished.

Level 6
This is going off topic.

Just to iterate, People who break the just laws deserve the punishment of the law.

That's right.. but i think death penalty is not to all criminals..

Pls. observed this..

What if you killed a person because you just defending yourself from him..
And because the person you killed is very influential and powerfull on the government even if you have a reason on killing that person you will recieved DEATH PENALTY...

IS THIS A JUSTICE THAT PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT?.. (but not all criminals) i mean there are still Injustice..

To all people out there if you believe me or not i don't care but jesus christ says..

The end of all things are near and the evidence for that are

1)PEOPLE WILL SUFFER MORE INJUSTICE AS THE END OF ALL THINGS COMING NEAR

So just expect that more poor people will suffer of injustice than those who are rich and very influential..

(Sorry for the capslock i am not anger)

Level 27
That's your argument?
You didn't actually make an argument, you just said that God was fictional and not natural. That's hardly a rebuttal.
People who break the just laws deserve the punishment of the law.
Which laws are just, then? How do we determine that any given punishment is just if we can't agree on which laws are just?

So what if they deserve punishment? If punishment isn't helpful then I'd rather do helpful things than waste my time with punishment and trying to convince you that law isn't a solution or a necessity.

Level 28
Aaaaaaaaalright people,
I've cleaned no less than 27 useless posts on the last two pages and am unsure whether I should just close this thread.
Thus, I'd love you to stay on the topic because the topic itself warrants a serious discussion.
If you, however, prefer to dump images in here, I'll whip out my magic stick to cast silence and pain (if you know what I mean here ;D ).

Thank you for reading~

Regards,
Squiggy

Level 29
Squiggy said:
...am unsure whether I should just close this thread.
Thus, I'd love you to stay on the topic because the topic itself warrants a serious discussion....

it's written in the first page...
mckill2009 said:
if this topic causes offend to people, please remove this and I knowledge my deepest apology...

but I prefer to request you not to close this, it maybe a serious matter but as a community in HW, we can express our feelings about matters of this world and give our thoughts...

Roland

R

Roland

You know, this thread is very Interesting but it may hurt the people's feelings, Death Penalty may scare other OFWs in the Philippines or around the world.

Level 28
but I prefer to request you not to close this, it maybe a serious matter but as a community in HW, we can express our feelings about matters of this world and give our thoughts...
I'm, not denying our opinion, that's for sure.
I just think pictures of water heaters and Luke Skywalker don't relate to Death Penalty.
Of course, closing would be the last resort.

Edit: More posts deleted

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.