• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dark Beacons

Dark Beacons
190388-c7a55edfff94408268664f5823f5f6d1.png

Author Note: considering WOW lore, there are Draenei tribes in Swamp of Sorrows.

These ancient beacons were sealed long a go. But now they are lit again with dark magic. The creatures and tribes are becoming aggresive due to the dark influence. The corruption of these lands must be stopped.

Neutral Buildings
-2 Tavern.
-5 Goblin Merchants.
-1 Marketplace.
-3 Goblin Labs.
-2 Lordaeron Summer Mercenary Camps.
-1 Sunken Ruins Mercenary Camp (red creep).
-1 Black Citadel Mercenary Camp (red creep).
-8 natural expansion mines with 13500 gold.
-2 hard mines for competition with 18000 gold.

Creeps
-14 Green Creeps
-26 Orange Creeps
-4 Red Creeps

190429-b44546e9e8947e3828d0864444f8219d.png

190426-2382d03f8f46a7e9bb491a161dff2bca.png

191453-cd155ddced66222e54c4b7b5df083ac8.png

190431-f712a94b4894929df5b71e6e127c2eca.png

1)It is ideal that each player follows a route to not overlap. I can predict a posibility is that all players will follow a route and have a first engage in the tavern area to compite for the Marketplace.
2) Try to creep-hack enemy creeping routes. Player Pink-Violet may try to creephack each other the L8 creeps. Player Blue and Yellow may try to creep hack their low level creeps.
3) On a second phase each player will go for each expo. Aditionally The Merc. camp will be creeped and used.
4) Last phase will be aim for the red creeps. Aditionally it will be interesting that the merc camps on the waterfall will be used and that players will try to dominate center mines.
191452-7ce52fec5820ffdf11c588505550fe29.png

1.00 First Upload
- Added more decorations and some pathblockers. Adjusted green creeps positions
-Changed first green creeps from level 9 to level 7. Plus having both armor types.
-Changed creeps (armor types) in each team side gob labs and in the center/contested goblin merchant, levels and loot remain the same.
-fixed a silly mistake, green creeps L1 , loot perma any level set to level 1.
-minor adjustments in creeps positions, creep composition, level and loot is equal.
-Updated some of the mines creeps.
1.1 changed creeps formations, changed creeps.

Creep level in map screen doesnt exactly match current version. item drops remain the same.

This map is an entry for the 7th melee contest of 4v4 maps.
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/melee-mapping-contest-7-4v4.332255/
Previews
Contents

Dark Beacons (Map)

Reviews
mafe
Based on/In addition to the reviews of: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/melee-mapping-contest-7-results.333989/ Generally I agree with everything the judges said. Creeps and itemdrops are fine. Some creeps seem to be positioned a little weirdly...
Level 7
I just played this map 2 times, and I don't really find anything wrong. It feels so smoth and well done. You have my like and my personal 10/10

Things that I like:
  1. Pathing
  2. Gold mine positions
  3. Creep variety
  4. Creep levels
  5. Simmetry
  6. Tileset
  7. Love the description of the game map, and also the description of this post.

Things that I found "special":
  1. The most close green creep camp is pretty tough. That skeleton with the fire bow hits really hard at the very begining lol.
  2. Overall, red camps have a little low level items than expected.
  3. Double merc camp on the left middle side guarded by one big turtle and small ones.. I suggest to make a BIG RED CAMP. It's a 4v4 map. You don't want to creep that camp alone. Hydra creep camps feel more difficult.

Level 29
  1. The most close green creep camp is pretty tough. That skeleton with the fire bow hits really hard at the very begining lol.
  2. Overall, red camps have a little low level items than expected.
  3. Double merc camp on the left middle side guarded by one big turtle and small ones.. I suggest to make a BIG RED CAMP. It's a 4v4 map. You don't want to creep that camp alone. Hydra creep camps feel more difficult.
Thanks a lot for your kind comments, I am glad you liked my map.
Regarding those 3 items...:
1) 100% agree,I felt the same while playing, those greens are harder for orcs because the armor type. Changed all the 8 first green creep for a L7 and now they have both armor types.
2) 3 of them have permanent level 5, in theory, when a marketplace is used, permanent level 6 and charged level 5 are avoided. And the gob lab looting a permanent level 4, thats the most easy red creep so it needs to have a lower loot than the other red creeps. Also I wouldnt put a harder creep in a gob lab, level 20 is the min.
3) My idea is that, the red creeps in mines would be the last and hardest thing. Thats why I dont put a harder creep on the mercs.
again thanks.

Last edited:
Level 26
I finally have a time to check on :D, I crazy in love with these dungeon-underground tile. decoration choice are gold very like it especially how you use outland flower color here.
1. creep choice are questionable... due to the amount of undead creep on the map anyway I have no idea how 4v4 work anyway so let skip it.
2. amount of medium armor creep is worried...
3. expo lv16 drop permanent 3 is a question mark... lv10 with frost armor and heal and drop only p2 and pw1? IMO this camp need to buff the item drop... just IMO. green camp lv9 drop permanent 1 I'm a bit disappoint... xD sorry!
4. Over used rock on the left side but I think it was okay cause you have sufficient of time.
5. trees line in the middle marketplace next to the tavern look a bit weird look like it was cut? was that intend or a mistake?
6. also the fog... with the -zoom idk will this be okay or not. But I think later edit maybe fine I guess?

Good luck mate! :D

Level 29
I finally have a time to check on :D, I crazy in love with these dungeon-underground tile. decoration choice are gold very like it especially how you use outland flower color here.
1. creep choice are questionable... due to the amount of undead creep on the map anyway I have no idea how 4v4 work anyway so let skip it.
2. amount of medium armor creep is worried...
3. expo lv16 drop permanent 3 is a question mark... lv10 with frost armor and heal and drop only p2 and pw1? IMO this camp need to buff the item drop... just IMO. green camp lv9 drop permanent 1 I'm a bit disappoint... xD sorry!
4. Over used rock on the left side but I think it was okay cause you have sufficient of time.
5. trees line in the middle marketplace next to the tavern look a bit weird look like it was cut? was that intend or a mistake?
6. also the fog... with the -zoom idk will this be okay or not. But I think later edit maybe fine I guess?

Good luck mate! :D
Hey thanks a lot for the feedback.
1) the only problem of undead creeps are that you cant hit them with death coil, but I always put other creeps not undead, so you can hit with death coil.
2)I will try to fix some creeps regarding that topic.
3)expo lv16 drop permanent 3 is a question mark...
level 16 creeps must loot a permanent level 3 or charged level 3, thats standard.
lv10 with frost armor and heal and drop only p2 and pw1?
is a level 10, it should not loot more, is not that hard to creep and is the 3rd creep to engage.
just IMO. green camp lv9 drop permanent 1 I'm a bit disappoint...
is a a level 9 green creep, loots a PerL1 +PuL1, thats a standard loot, the objetive of those creeps is to hit L2 more easy with less effort.

4) it was to hide the underground cliff, is a matter of taste, if somebody doesnt like it, is just the border, you wont focus on the border while playing.
5) Intended, I valued more to have confortable space for the red creep rather than how it looks the tree line. I think I will put some logged trees so it will look more cool
6) I dont know what is the tendency with the fog these days, I know users that put a lot of value in a good fog, while I understand some dont like it, remove a fog is just 1 click so it shouldnt be a matter of debate IMO.
again thanks, good luck to you too!

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Based on/In addition to the reviews of:

Generally I agree with everything the judges said.
Creeps and itemdrops are fine. Some creeps seem to be positioned a little weirdly, sitting almost on top of each other, but whatever.
The layout idea in terms of spawning positions is very nice, I like it a lot. Also the double merc camp is a nice idea, it should work fine in 4v4.
Visually, there are some parts of the map which I like a lot, like the area around the double merc camp. But the Sunken Ruins dirt somehow does not fit with the rest of the colors of the map; reducing the amount of large single-tile patches would also be nice. Same for the trees, though there really isnt much choice here for alternatives. On the other hand, the tilesest combination in itself is really creative.

So overall a good map. Approved.