• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Danath Trollbane

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
Danath Trollbane, Warrior of House Trollbane, second-in-command to Turalyon in the Sons of Lothar.

I had a blast making this one and really like the result. Has an alternate animation set too.

CHANGELOG:
  • September 5th 2022 - Optimized model by removing unused keyframes
  • February 5th 2023 - Made model pass sanity check
Previews
Contents

Danath Trollbane (Model)

Reviews
ILH
ILH
A really well-made warrior hero with great animations and textures that fit the game's style. Changes made. Works in-game. Approved!
Level 48
Another lovely work of art and tribute to Warcraft's past from the mighty Tauer. I'm in love with that gambeson, the alternative animations and the helmet he puts on. Walk Alternate reminds me a lot of the way RuneScape characters carry their two-handed swords, in the best possible way. The proportions seem a little stout, but I suppose it's nothing crazy by Warcraft 3 standards, though I can't help but think that with a few minor changes he'd make an excellent Dwarf.
My main point of criticism here is the low resolution space afforded to the character's face on the UV map, and the use of "painted-on" eyes instead of 2D pupil planes. I believe portrait fidelity is crucial in maintaining that "Warcraft 3" feel, and only very few original models (especially heroes) have a lower resolution face texture or 2D eyes in the way Danath here does. It reminds me most of the Bandit model, whereas I think the fidelity you should strive for with such legendary heroes is something closer to Arthas or Uther. If the UV wrap and texture could be adjusted a little, and 2D planes added, the model would benefit greatly in my eyes.

Level 39
UPDATE: Made model pass sanity check
Another lovely work of art and tribute to Warcraft's past from the mighty Tauer. I'm in love with that gambeson, the alternative animations and the helmet he puts on. Walk Alternate reminds me a lot of the way RuneScape characters carry their two-handed swords, in the best possible way. The proportions seem a little stout, but I suppose it's nothing crazy by Warcraft 3 standards, though I can't help but think that with a few minor changes he'd make an excellent Dwarf.
My main point of criticism here is the low resolution space afforded to the character's face on the UV map, and the use of "painted-on" eyes instead of 2D pupil planes. I believe portrait fidelity is crucial in maintaining that "Warcraft 3" feel, and only very few original models (especially heroes) have a lower resolution face texture or 2D eyes in the way Danath here does. It reminds me most of the Bandit model, whereas I think the fidelity you should strive for with such legendary heroes is something closer to Arthas or Uther. If the UV wrap and texture could be adjusted a little, and 2D planes added, the model would benefit greatly in my eyes.
Thanks man!
Regarding the eyes: normally, I would 100% agree with you. For this particular model, however, the 2D eyes were kind of deliberate. I was going for that "narrow-eyed" look from the Warcraft II icon, as well as the poster from the cancelled Lord of the Clans game:

HeroDanathWC2.gif

94px-Danath_Adventures.png

His eyes are so narrow here that they almost look like they're closed. To me that's just such an iconic part of Danath's look that I had to include it - which would be a quite challenging look to achieve with 2D planes, in my opinion. Hope that makes sense!
Made some icons for this since I couldn't find one.

Attached zip has all of them.

View attachment 417655View attachment 417656
Sweet, thanks :)