• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Damage systems obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi... I still have no idea what Im doing when it come to Bribe's Damage Engine..Im trying to learn more everyday. Today I stumbled across ruleofiron99's damage modification.. but on page 2 of the thread found out it is now obsolete?

[GUI] Damage Modification System 1.02

It just felt a little more user friendly so I was going to start fiddling with that first... but I don't want it if it's obsolete. The map i'm trying to make will be for the latest available patch and in reforged mode. So I guess my question is can I still do all the things that system offered with Bribe's Damage Engine? (ex. I want spell crit)

Haha.. so far.. all I've done with Bribe's Damage Engine trigger in my map was enable all the triggers that were disabled (pink text).. hoping it would show floating damage text... but nope... I have a lot to learn...

But should I still get ruleofiron99's system? I also really want his control point system... is all the code obsolete now in the current patch we're on?

I got discouraged in making my map, thinking the w3 editor was too limiting.. I wanted a stun break and different camera angles.. lo and behold I found:

[GUI]Simple Stun System v1.1 [Legend is back]

.. and a bunch of camera systems.. so I'm reinspired... im just so fucking stupid...

I initially told myself my deadline for uploading my map was dec. 1st..but im gonna push it back one week..to dec. 7th.. then i'll share here.. and y'all lovely geniuses can maybe help me pick it apart...

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
For Bribe's Damage System (Damage Engine 5.7.1.2):

After opening his demo map you want to open the Trigger Editor and copy and paste the folder called Damage Engine into your map.

Now to actually use the system you will need to create a new trigger that uses this Event that his system provides:
  • Events
    • Game - DamageEvent becomes Equal to 1.00
The Event "DamageEvent becomes Equal to 1.00" happens every time a unit takes damage. This is a "custom" Event, it's basically Blizzards way of providing us with the ability to create our own Events.

Remember that Bribe's system is doing all of the work behind the scenes, so by the time this Event occurs the system has already Set a bunch of important variables related to the Damage Engine (damage source, damage target, damage amount, etc) for us to use. You'll see in the trigger down below which Variables you can take advantage of and you'll see that the names are very self-explanatory.

(Note that there are others Events as well as configurations of this Event which allow you to detect different moments during the damage phase like pre-armor calculation, post-armor calculation, etc. But don't worry about those for now.)

For now, focus on the important stuff. Here are the most common variables that you'll be using in response to this Event:
  • Important Variables
    • Events
      • Game - DamageEvent becomes Equal to 1.00
    • Conditions
      • IsDamageAttack Equal to True
      • IsDamageCode Equal to True
      • IsDamageMelee Equal to True
      • IsDamageRanged Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet DamageEventAmount = 123.00
      • Unit - Kill DamageEventSource
      • Unit - Kill DamageEventTarget
The IsX Conditions are self-explanatory, they allow you to check the type of Damage that was dealt (Melee, Ranged, Spell, Code-aka Triggered Damage).
DamageEventAmount = A Real variable that's been set to the amount of damage that was dealt. You can adjust this however you'd like. Want the unit to deal double damage? Set DamageEventAmount = DamageEventAmount * 2.00.
DamageEventSource = The unit that dealt the damage.
DamageEventTarget = The unit that was damaged.

With these variables you can do just about anything.
With that being said, the system offers more options if you wish to dig deeper into it's mechanics.

Bribe breaks everything down here: Damage Engine 5.7.1.2
Click his FAQ and other tabs to read more about the system and how to use it.

I also attached a map with a few example triggers of the Damage Engine in action. I provided some Floating Text stuff in one of the triggers as well.

Attachments

• Damage Engine Example use.w3m
    56.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Level 1
@Pyzdra I am not sure you realize that rulerofiron99's system requires Bribe's, so you will have to install Bribe's either way. Why rulerofiron99's system might be considered obsolete because it was based on an old version of Bribe's. So, you might have to make some changes to rulerofiron99's system. With a bit of effort, you can do everything that rulerofiron99's system does with Bribe's alone. Of course, rulerofiron99's system does the work for you in the background, simplifying the workload.

As far as capture point systems go, there is the more recently uploaded system, [GUI-Friendly] Capture Point System 1.5b.

Anyway, no need to consider whether a system is obsolete or not along as it works well for your purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.