• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Daily Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
"When my sons are grown up, I would ask you, O my friends, to punish them; and I would have you to trouble them, as I have troubled you, if they seem to care about riches, or anything, more than about virtue; or if they pretend to be something when they are really nothing — then reprove them, as I have reproved you, for not caring about that for which they ought to care, and thinking that they are something when they are really nothing. And if you do this, I and my sons will have received justice at your hands." ~ Socrates

Level 7
abraham-lincoln-quote-on-freedom.jpg

Reactions: pyf

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
quote-a-novel-is-never-anything-but-a-philosophy-put-into-images-albert-camus-385428.jpg

“How unbearable, for women, is the tenderness which a man can give them without love. For men, how bittersweet this is.”

“how hard it must be to live only with what one knows and what one remembers, cut off from what one hopes for!”
~Albert Camus.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
“The final conclusion of the absurdist protest is, in fact, the rejection of suicide and persistence in that hopeless encounter between human questioning and the silence of the universe.”
----
“To work and create 'for nothing', to sculpture in clay, to know that one's creation has no future, to see one's work destroyed in a day while being aware that fundamentally this has no more importance than building for centuries- this is the difficult wisdom that absurd thought sanctions. Performing these two tasks simultaneously, negating on one hand and magnifying on the other, is the way open to the absurd creator. He must give the void its colors.”
----
“At such moments the collapse of their courage, willpower, and endurance was so abrupt that they felt they could never drag themselves out of the pit of despond into which they had fallen. Therefore they forced themselves never to think about the problematic day of escape, to cease looking to the future, and always to keep, so to speak, their eyes fixed on the ground at their feet. But, naturally enough, this prudence, this habit of feinting with their predicament and refusing to put up a fight, was ill rewarded. For, while averting that revulsion which they found so unbearable, they also deprived themselves of those redeeming moments, frequent enough when all is told, when by conjuring up pictures of a reunion to be, they could forget about the plague. Thus, in a middle course between these heights and depths, they drifted through life rather than lived, the prey of aimless days and sterile memories, like wandering shadows that could have acquired substance only by consenting to root themselves in the solid earth of their distress.”

~Albert Camus.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
@pleasancer benediction unless you're going to die soon.

quote-a-true-masterpiece-does-not-tell-everything-albert-camus-49-93-04.jpg

“If I convince myself that this life has no other aspect than that of the absurd, if I feel that its whole equilibrium depends on that perpetual opposition between my conscious revolt and the darkness in which it struggles, if I admit that my freedom has no meaning except in relation to its limited fate, then I must say that what counts is not the best living but the most living.”
~Albert Camus.

Level 19
Did you think maybe, he bought them in the sense of adoption so they won't be bought by others and live a crueler life?
Hang on I'll check it up on google

"Did Abraham Lincoln Whip his slaves?"

Lol Google says that Lincoln did not own slaves but he inherited some from his uncle... G wiz google, what is the difference between buying a person and inheriting one in your will. It is still a crime no matter how you try and swing the bill.

Another Google link says that Lincoln was too poor to own slaves, so conflicting stories to say the least.

Digging deeper

Ok from my understanding of things Lincoln was not opposed to slaver, he just hated African Americans. He said that they should go back to Africa, essentially, because they should not mix with 'White People'
By Frank Lake on February 15, 2012

McLEAN, VA – Abraham Lincoln has inspired Americans for generations, but it was just revealed that he was a slave owner.

“For the sake of your race, you should sacrifice something of your present comfort for the purpose of being as grand in that respect as the white people,”

He also owned house hold slaves, free servants.

Lincoln joins George Washington and Thomas Jefferson as U.S. President that were slaveholders despite misgivings. Washington freed his slaves when he died. Lincoln never got the chance to do that.

Well that certainly clears things up....

Now for my wisdom of the day

"Do not quote from whom you know not, but instead, relate to us what can never be forgot"

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
"Do not quote from whom you know not, but instead, relate to us what can never be forgot"
I don't think you understand how quotes work. The message is important, not the people behind them.
And even if Abraham Lincoln was a slave owner or had something against black people, that's a different story. The message was then probably intended for the white Americans?

We've had a minor break in the thread before pertaining Albert Einstein's complicity with the making of the atomic bomb.

Level 19
I don't think you understand how quotes work. The message is important, not the people behind them.
And even if Abraham Lincoln was a slave owner or had something against black people, that's a different story. The message was then probably intended for the white Americans?

We've had a minor break in the thread before pertaining Albert Einstein's complicity with the making of the atomic bomb.
if the intention of the author was otherwise then you are just corrupting their quote for your own beliefs

which therefore means quotes are irrelevant..

only your intent is important

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
basically if that priest is a sin addict... they you can't learn anything positive from them
Basically, you're refuting everything. You know life itself is not fair, right? Nature is in contradiction with itself. It's balance. Thus, by your logic, you can't because the one who told you about it can't, therefore imagine how far anything (like humanity) would have gone.

There's another saying which is something like: those with misfortunes are the best advisers.

Level 19
Basically, you're refuting everything. You know life itself is not fair, right? Nature is in contradiction with itself. It's balance. Thus, by your logic, you can't because the one who told you about it can't, therefore imagine how far anything (like humanity) would have gone.

There's another saying which is something like: those with misfortunes are the best advisers.
why listen to the person who has made all the wrong choices in life, when you can listen to the person wise enough not to make them?

Level 11
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." -- John Muir

"People only see what they are prepared to see." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past." -- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
"An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger." ~ Dan Rather
Well, I'm sorry mister Rather that I don't think about the Power Rangers when I listen to Mozart's Requiem...

“From time to time I meet people who live among riches I cannot even imagine. I still have to make an effort to realize that others can feel envious of such wealth. A long time ago, I once lived a whole week luxuriating in all the goods of this world: we slept without a roof, on a beach, I lived on fruit, and spent half my days alone in the water. I learned something then that has always made me react to the signs of comfort or of a well-appointed house with irony, impatience, and sometimes anger. Although I live without worrying about tomorrow now, and therefore count myself among the privileged, I don't know how to own things. What I do have, which always comes to me without my asking for it, I can't seem to keep. Less from extravagance, I think, than from another kind of parsimony: I cling like a miser to the freedom that disappears as soon as there is an excess of things.”
~Albert Camus.

quote-whatever-prevents-you-from-doing-your-work-has-become-your-work-albert-camus-43-0-043.jpg

Level 7
Well, I'm sorry mister Rather that I don't think about the Power Rangers when I listen to Mozart's Requiem...

“From time to time I meet people who live among riches I cannot even imagine. I still have to make an effort to realize that others can feel envious of such wealth. A long time ago, I once lived a whole week luxuriating in all the goods of this world: we slept without a roof, on a beach, I lived on fruit, and spent half my days alone in the water. I learned something then that has always made me react to the signs of comfort or of a well-appointed house with irony, impatience, and sometimes anger. Although I live without worrying about tomorrow now, and therefore count myself among the privileged, I don't know how to own things. What I do have, which always comes to me without my asking for it, I can't seem to keep. Less from extravagance, I think, than from another kind of parsimony: I cling like a miser to the freedom that disappears as soon as there is an excess of things.”
~Albert Camus.

quote-whatever-prevents-you-from-doing-your-work-has-become-your-work-albert-camus-43-0-043.jpg
Speaking of Mozart

th

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
quote-at-one-time-or-another-all-normal-people-have-wished-their-loved-ones-were-dead-albert-camus-39-39-38.jpg

“But in order to speak about all and to all, one has to speak of what all know and of the reality common to us all. The seas, rains, necessity, desire, the struggle against death--these are things that unite us all. We resemble one another in what we see together, in what we suffer together. Dreams change from individual, but the reality of the world is common to us all. Striving towards realism is therefore legitimate, for it is basically related to the artistic adventure.”
~Albert Camus.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
quote-against-eternal-injustice-man-must-assert-justice-and-to-protest-against-the-universe-albert-camus-4-66-95.jpg

“The first thing to do is to keep silent – to abolish audiences and learn to be your own judge. To keep a balance between active concern for the body and an attentive awareness of being alive. To abandon all claims and devote yourself to achieving two kinds of freedom: freedom from money, and freedom from your own vanity and cowardice. To have rules and stick to them. Two years is not too long to spend thinking about one single point. You must wipe out all earlier stages, and concentrate all your strength on forgetting nothing and learning patiently.”

“Knowing whether or not man is free involves knowing whether he can have a master. The absurdity peculiar to this problem comes from the fact that the very notion that makes the problem of freedom possible also takes away all its meaning. For in the presence of God there is less a problem of freedom than a problem of evil. You know the alternative: either we are not free and God the all-powerful is responsible for evil. Or we are free and responsible but God is not all powerful. All the scholastic subtleties have neither added anything to nor subtracted anything from the acuteness of this paradox.”

~Albert Camus.

Level 19
Life was far simpler in the past. No paying for taxes. Kill those that offend you. Sleep with whoever without regret. Totally care free and relaxing....

Well except for the poor living conditions as the result of no government, people trying to kill you for killing their friends, women and man alike chasing after you for all the diseases you gave them, and the constant head ache of self preservation

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
“CALIGULA: I'm the only true artist Rome has known - the only one, believe me - to match his inspiration with his deeds.

CHEREA: That's only a matter of having the power.

CALIGULA: Quite true. Other artists create to compensate for their lack of power. I don't need to make a work of art; I live it.”

~Albert Camus.

0b7925b07bff87221a2f38a3ce30db0d.png

quote-the-most-loathsome-materialism-is-not-the-kind-people-usually-think-of-but-the-sort-albert-camus-42-33-13.jpg

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
quote-don-t-let-them-tell-us-stories-don-t-let-them-say-of-the-man-sentenced-to-death-he-is-going-to-pay-albert-camus-216192.jpg

“My moral code is no more or less than my likes and dislikes.”

“Works of art are not born in flashes of inspiration but in daily fidelity.”

“You see, Mersualt, all the misery and cruelty of our civilisation can be measured by this one stupid axiom: happy nations have no history.”

~Albert Camus.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
quote-if-after-all-men-cannot-always-make-history-have-a-meaning-they-can-always-act-so-that-albert-camus-42-26-39.jpg

“Metaphysical rebellion is the movement by which man protests against his condition and against the whole of creation. It is metaphysical because it contests the ends of man and of creation. The slave protests against the condition in which he finds himself within his state of slavery; the metaphysical rebel protests against the condition in which he finds himself as a man. The rebel slave affirms that there is something in him that will not tolerate the manner in which his master treats him; the metaphysical rebel declares that he is frustrated by the universe. For both of them, it is not only a question of pure and simple negation. In both cases, in fact, we find a value judgment in the name of which the rebel refuses to
approve the condition in which he finds himself.”
---
“You’re worried about getting things successfully done in order to attain some degree of self-worth. Your soul is for sale; You most likely deceive yourself in order to convince yourself. Letting go equals failing, isn’t that right? And you forget outstandingly well, don’t you? You forget that It takes admirable courage not only to try but also to gracefully give up.”
~Albert Camus.

Reactions: pyf
Status
Not open for further replies.