• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Tech Tree Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I've been working on a custom race, but I've been having some trouble. So far it includes:
Pioneer (Copied from SCV)
Outpost (Copied from Hatchery)
Town (Copied from Lair) and
Palace (Copied from Hive)

Now here are the problems.

1. When building a new Outpost, the outpost model appears immediately after construction begins and the zerghatcherytolair model is hidden underneath it, only poking out a little bit towards the end.

2. I tried to give the Outpost a "halt" button. It seems to work fine for structures based on terran ones, which I did not include, but when i try it on the outpost it just explodes.

3. Currently all renovations are free, but on the tooltip the cost of renovating from outpost to town is listed as -300 minerals.

4. The animations for renovating to Town and Palace seem to work just fine if not interrupted, but if you hit "cancel" while renovating they take on the model of what they were morphing into, not what they were before.

Can anyone tell me how to solve any of these problems? You can find a map containing all relevant data from my map here. http://bit.ly/p1nQXu Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1. When building a new Outpost, the outpost model appears immediately after construction begins and the zerghatcherytolair model is hidden underneath it, only poking out a little bit towards the end.
You have not set up the appropiate actors to link to this unit. Construction has a vast array of actors and events involved in it. Explore around a bit and I am sure you will eventually see how it is normally done.

2. I tried to give the Outpost a "halt" button. It seems to work fine for structures based on terran ones, which I did not include, but when i try it on the outpost it just explodes.
Make sure the ability is set up correcly. It might be causing some bizzar effect to fire.

3. Currently all renovations are free, but on the tooltip the cost of renovating from outpost to town is listed as -300 minerals.
Thats because it is not free and instead costs -300 minerals (it gives you 300 minerals). Morphing a unit into another costs the net difference in construction costs of the target unit type minus the starting unit type. As your initial building costs a total of 300 and the upgrade costs 0, that means that it will have to refund you 300 minerals to reach that cost. The soultion is to make both cost the same (300), thus it will be free to upgrade as it has the same cost. This system makes upgrades much easier and more logical to handle as it keeps costs cosistent. In WC3 it was easy to make a parallel upgrade path that eventually rejoined that cost more than the other path, where as with this system it is impossible.

4. The animations for renovating to Town and Palace seem to work just fine if not interrupted, but if you hit "cancel" while renovating they take on the model of what they were morphing into, not what they were before.
Again, sounds like actors are not set up correctly. You will need to make sure the cancle command destroys the upgraded actor and remakes the downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.