• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Custom model using an existing portrait

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK portraits are only determined by name (and by the "portrait" animation). There are a few options:
  • Overwrite the path of the model with the portrait you want. e.g. If you want the footman's portrait for your model, just use the path Units/Human/Footman/Footman.mdx (untested)
  • Export the portrait from the MPQ and then import it into the map. Change it to your model's path, and add _Portrait.mdx to it.
  • You might be able to do some weird hackery. You can make the unit use the model with the portrait you want, but make the unit invisible (set its vertex color to transparent through triggers, and remove its shadow in the object editor). Then make a duplicate unit (same abilities, same fields, etc.) with the custom model. Give it locust. Then you just need to make a trigger where, if the main invisible unit is ordered, the locust unit copies it.

As long as he has the same fields, he should behave in exactly the same way. The only issue would be pathing. Maybe you could do some interesting things with ghost or something. Idk.

But this method is pretty convoluted and just a random thought. You may be better off just exporting and importing a duplicate portrait.

Level 12
Import the portrait to the same folder the model is in, name the portrait to (The model you want the portrait to show up for)_Portrait.mdx

Your model is in say, war3imported.

Example: I want the Footman to have the Peasant's portrait. So, I use a program (I use MPQEdit) to extract the Peasant's portrait from the MPQs, then import it to my map.

I name the file,

Units\Human\Footman\Footman_Portrait.mdx

You can do this with ANY model, as long as it's the same name as the model you want the portrait for with _Portrait at the end of it. It also takes normal portrait rules, in that it HAS to be in the same folder of the model you're trying to get the portrait to show up for.

Status
Not open for further replies.