• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Hero Battle Alpha (with QWER Ability system)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
fLmr04h.png

JsIF30C.png

Introduction

Hello, i've always been a fan of the custom hero maps. The possibility to create a hero that fits your playstyle always attracted me, as well as the creativity in combination with game-knowledge to build a funny hero that is also effective. A few years ago i created this map

[Miscellanous / Other] - Custom Hero Wars Beta 1.0

The map didn't go very well and people were not intrested in it. The map was very rudimental and a kind of experiment. So i abandoned it. But last year with the constant patches, world editor improvements and the announcement of WC3 Reforged at Blizzcon i got some more energy and started to work on it again. I made several changes while trying to keep the basic mechanics the same and came up with this.

Features

Q W E R binded abilities

The map has a new method to add abilities to heroes. Insead of selecting the abilities in the beginning of the game, every hero start with no abilities. During the game a player can choose the ability he wants and those are added to the hero with the binded hotkeys based on the pick order, so the first ability picked will be on Q, the second on W and so on...
All melee abilities are avaliable (except for some ultimates), some of them are reworked for obvious reasons and i added some custom abilities. The map has a total of 108 abilities. I will add more custom abilities in the future.

Gkl7Wvq.png

HbtY2Hm.png

FMJ9LgE.png

Non-permanent abilities

Once the hero has learned one ability, he can remove it and switch to a different one. This feature allows players to adapt to the other team's builds and pick abilities that counter specific playstyles or strategies. This can be done only with normal abilities, Ultimates can't be removed.

Cusomized attributes points

Players can choose to add attributes points to their heroes based on pre-existing heroes models. I will explain this better.

fjlFtuk.png

These are the attributes for the heroes at level 1. As you can see the mean value for the sum of all attributes is 52.
As you know, every level the hero attributes are increased, every hero gains an amount of points that are based on his main attribute(for instance the archmage gains 1 agility, 1.8 strenght, and 3.2 intelligence). The sum of the attributes points per level is 6. The sum is the same for every hero(after the patches some of these values changed but overall is 6).

Fun fact: before all the patches all heroes had 6 attributes points per level except for the lich that had 0.2 int more, that is 1.8 int points more that any other hero.

What i did was to give a sum of 9 points as base attributes, and then players can add the remaining 43 points as they want. In addition, when a hero levels up, players can assign one extra point to the attribute they want. So the total sum of point per level is 7.

bIZY6w4.png

For example.
The Tinker has 1 agility, 4 intelligence and 4 strenght.

I tired to keep the proportions between all attributes and how many points per level a hero gets.

I also changed the amount of mana, hp and armor/attack speed for every intelligence, strenght and agility point. This was necessary because agility heroes were super strong.

Gameplay

Map Objectives
Two teams of 5 players fight each other in a single battlefield (one lane map). The main goal of each team is to destory the other team general.
Every 8 minutes there is an arena event that lasts 2 minutes. If all members of a team are defeated the other win. When the time's up, the team that has more alive members win, if the number is the same it's a tie. Every match is supposed to last about 30 minutes, so the game is very fast, heroes gain levels quickly and minions are pretty strong.

Hero progression
Heroes start with 1 skillpoint and gain 1 skillpoint every level that can be spent to buy new abilities or upgrade already learned ones.

The basic abilities have 5 levels, the ultimates have 2. Every hero can learn at maximum 8 abilities, he can choose to not buy an ultimate or other abilities. Normal and units abilities can be removed, ultimates are permanent.
The ultimate that a hero choose define his role. I created 4 roles (for now). Assasin. Tank. Support. Summoner.

Spellbooks

Spellbooks are end game abilities that enhance the role of the hero. There is one spellbook for every role, that contains unique spells that fit the role playstyle (survivability for tanks, more healing for supports ecc). A spellbook is considered as an ability and can't be removed.

Screenshots and video
kwPwqPv.png

i0NuXtW.png

sgLwpQ6.png

UnuxJq3.png

yshAhhZ.png

cHTEqk9.png

in7KnKq.png

HbtY2Hm.png

Credits
Birbe - Damage Detection System
WereElf - Custom Multishot System
Mortar - Kill Streak System
Matarael - Boots model
Champara Bros - Arcane Explosion model
JetFanginferno - Blood Tornado model
Illidan(Evil)X - Lightsaber model
WhiteDeath - Spirit Bolt model
UgoUgo - Orb of fire missile model
Mythic - Silver Bolt model
HerrDave - Serpent Blade missile model

Final Comment

I know that the gameplay might be overused but i didn't had an alternative idea that was good enough, i would love to make some maps with the same system but survival, dungeon or others type of maps, i dont have experience to create those. If you have suggestions about this let me know.

I know that a map like this is very difficult to balance(someone may say it's impossible), it think that a balance can be found because one can create a counter for almost everything, i tried my best to do so and im still working on it.

If you think that 8 abilities are too many i may agree with you, i just thought that if i was doing this it was worth to do as many as possible, just in case.

The map is an alpha and im still developing it, i know that it needs a lot of work, it has bad terrain and some tooltips are in my own language, i just wanted to make it playable so i can have some feedback on it.

Also i really hope that some of you will give me suggestions and constructive criticism

Map file is attached below

Edit: Added new map version

Attachments

• Custom Hero Battle QWER0.6.w3x
    2.6 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.