• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Ability Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Trying to quickly figure out how to make this hero ability. I'm not sure if there's one like it already in the game. It's basically the same as Searing Arrows, except instead of increasing attack damage it increases the hero's attack rate for each strike with the cost of mana.

Level 25
There's no such ability and I don't think it is possible to create one like that accurately.
You can increase hero's attack speed either when he:
a) attacks -> this can be abusable, as you can stop the attack and start it again, thus he would gain the bonus quickly
b) damages enemy -> however there is a delay - the time when he shoots the arrow and the time when the arrows land. The good thing is that this will not be abusable.

Then I think you could add an invibile ability (e.g. gloves of haste with levels) and just level it up to give the feeling of "bonus speed" (though I did not test if leveling up gloves of haste when they're on unit will increase the attack speed).
And you would need to keep track of when hero has activated those arrows and when not, so you won't increase his attack speed when he does not shoot those arrows.

Level 21
If you want the attackspeed boost to be constant and toggleable, then it's actually quite easy.
Simply make 1 ability to turn it on, 1 to turn it off(switch one to other when used) and 1 ability for the attackspeed bonus(base on gloves of haste).
Then make a trigger that checks whenever that unit attacks or deals damage and make the unit lose mana when it does.

If you use a damage detection system, then you can combine the approaches by incrementing an integer whenever a unit attacks and decrementing it when damage is done. This would also require a timer to decrement the integer though, because elseway you can just cancel attacks all the time and then lose more mana for spells.
OR
If your damage detection lets you detect spell damage separately, then you can just assume that physical damage is from attacks.

Level 10
You could also base the ability on cold arrows with a custom buff B. Also create a dummy ability A based on item attack speed bonus. Use a damage detection system to detect when a unit is damaged, and if it has buff B, remove the buff and increase the level of A for damaging unit. Also set up a timer, which will decrease the level of A after X seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.