• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Current Version 1.28 Map Editors and Tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello Hive, I recently came back to WC3 to finish a long going WIP map. Problem is when I updated my game to the newest version "1.28" , sadly my map when loaded in multi player instantly disconnects all the other players besides the host "looks like a desync error" this did not happen before the update. So i pulled out my old flash drive of a pirated version for LAN when people forget keys or on laptop blah blah blah... Anyway low and behold WC3 version 1.26 loads the map just fine. Also note all my old tools like NEWGEN seemed to have various bugs in 1.28.

My question is not how to fix those issues with my map since i can easily paste my trigger and object editor work. I was never impressed with my terrain anyway.

Now for my actual questions. How do i effectively create maps in 1.28? should I not be using this version? what tools work? what current map editor can I use? The default might be fine if its been slightly improved it had issues in the past. Will their be future updates making map editors buggy?

I want to avoid using 2 different versions of WC3 one for editing and another for playing that seems a good way to get bugs and hard to fix errors.

What do you think is the best method for making maps in version 1.28?
what editor or tools do you use "strictly referring to map building not model editing"?

I already browsed the tools resources on this website but found some bugs and conflicting information so I am hoping to get some solid answers on what tools the editing community actually uses.

Level 4
Are you using JNGP? Here's the replacement for it: Sharpcraft WEX
Thank you for the reply.

This is the general advice i am being given..

Sharpcraft seems to be the current replacement editor tool however after using it myself and getting similar bugs others are speaking about i was hoping there was other options.

I am very curious to hear how other map creators are currently doing things.

I am thinking 3 possible ways to work with the current version.
#1. Have an older version installed with NEWGEN. My worries here is that it will bug out when i try to play it in the new version.
#2. Only use sharpcraft when necessary and doing the bulk of the work in the default editor and hope that changing between editors doesn't cause problems.
#3. Just use the basic editor so that maps remain bug free. No giant map no Jass no infinite doodads. Blizzard did increase the multiplayer map size to 128MB if i am correct so thats nice... they did just destroy all mod tools but at least there was that.

^^ I'd suggest going for option #1 if you're working with lua script, and if coding in vJASS, sticking with WEX.

EDIT:

If I recall the bug, it is when you save a file and it doesn't save correctly (there were compile errors) and you ignore a dialog box that pops up, which messes up the editor when saving (by clicking the save button, shortcuts are overridden at this point).

I'd rather compile it first and save it thereafter, making the occurrence of the bug a remote possibility.

Last edited:
I'd suggest you check out WurstScript if you want to invest some time into learning new tools. NewGen was unsupported for years so the new patch breaking it was just going to happen anyways, and wurst has a small but active community that's also working on Wurst itself, alongside their own projects, so if you want to have a hand in not only using, but also helping design tools for wc3 mapmaking, WurstScript is the way to go. Warcraft III is going to get more updates, so sticking to toolts that have an active community around them and which is updated for every patch is better.

If you don't like it, though, there's not much you can do about that, but new gen is broken and vJass has some glaring design issues. WEX Editor is nowhere near as good as NEWGEN was back when all features worked (talking ~pre 1.24 mostly), but it is something you have to work with in this version.

If I were you, this is what I would do - keep two versions of wc3 on my system, 1.24/1.26 and 1.28. use 1.24/1.26 to edit the terrain, and use 1.28 in conjunction with wurst or if you're doing everything in newgen, just use it to run maps while working ON the map in 1.26. Either way, you can still use newgen, it is just a bit harder to use than WEX, and when it comes to coding news, wurst blows it ouf of he water anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.