• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Crow Form and Negative Height Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
So, I've been working on a skill called Ground Pin lately, which is a damaging spell as you can see and based on classic Ensnare ability, making unit immobile and "half-body under ground" during the effect...
The thing is that the actual ground pinning part isn't working for some reason.
I've tried many variations, even making the spell to be based on different one such as Storm Bolt or have been poking around with flying height to be negative value at start (-50.00) and speed at which the unit descends, if it's the current or default flying height of unit and so on...
Now before you ask:
- Yes, I do have negative values allowed
- Yes, the unit have Movement Speed higher than 0
- No, it does not have anything to do with the nature of Ensnare ability to "put units down"
- Yes, I've tried switching "Unit - Remove Crow Form from (Target unit of ability being cast)" for "Animation - Change (Target unit of ability being cast) flying height to (0.00 - 50.00) at 500.00" functions

• Events
    • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
    • (Ability being cast) Equal to Ground Pin
  • Actions
    • Set Skill_GroundPin_Target[(Player number of (Owner of (Target unit of ability being cast)))] = (Target unit of ability being cast)
    • Unit - Cause (Triggering unit) to damage (Target unit of ability being cast), dealing ((Real((Strength of (Triggering unit) (Include bonuses)))) x (0.50 + (0.50 x (Real((Level of Ground Pin for (Triggering unit))))))) damage of attack type Siege and damage type Normal
    • Unit - Add Crow Form to (Target unit of ability being cast)
    • Unit - Remove Crow Form from (Target unit of ability being cast)
    • Animation - Change (Target unit of ability being cast) flying height to (0.00 - 50.00) at 500.00
    • Wait (1.80 + (0.20 x (Real((Level of Ground Pin for (Triggering unit)))))) seconds
    • Animation - Change Skill_GroundPin_Target[(Player number of (Owner of (Target unit of ability being cast)))] flying height to (Default flying height of (Target unit of ability being cast)) at 500.00
- My guess is that the game doesn't allow hard-codedly to change units' height to negative values via triggers even though I can change it manually in Object Editor by "shift-click" and it can be actually seen half-buried...

Please, help me guys, I really need to learn from this as the Hero that I'm working on can't be finished without it...
I prefer it to be in GUI btw... thanks in advance

Level 20
Animation - Change (Target unit of ability being cast) flying height to (0.00 - 50.00) at 500.00...

So, it will change the Flying height of the unit to -50 at a rate of 500. I'm not sure how rate works, but I think it will change gradually to -50 over 500 seconds. Try replacing the "500" with a "1" and check if it changes over a second.

Level 4
Hey, thx for replying, but I was checking the forum on how the rate works and in my knowledge it is like "distance", "speed" and another calculated thing from it is "time"...
So in my meaning it's like distance of value 50 and -50 are the same distances different from 0 and the rate is basically the speed, hence 50 or -50 distance at speed of 500 is traveled in 0.1 second which is the speed I wanted to achieve...
Maybe you're right, I might think of checking it out and see what happens...

Level 4
Well, after a few minutes of further testing on "new map" trying just the part of descending of unit (setting flying height to -50, (0-50), (current-50) or (default-50)) I've given up my hope :(
WE just can't make it work for me, the only way to make unit being underground is by setting it manually in Object Editor...
And yeah mr. Spartipilo the rate works exactly as I mentioned... height of 100 is at rate of 100 set in 1 second, so does the height of 500 at rate 500 made in 1 second perspectively and so on, to just let you know if you already haven't :)
I think I'm gonna shoot myself, any more ideas please?
Thanks Blizz btw... :(

Level 4
Yes, you can go below 0 :) manually in Object Editor as I said, just don't forget to allow negative value in your editor and then shift-click on the Movement Height to set negative value, trust me, this one works but it's worthless for me...

Level 33
Ok, I need you to differentiate between units that have flying height of 0.00 and -2546556456764556.00 in Object Editor.
So you have 2 units, Unit A has 0.00 flying height while Unit B has -2546556456764556.00 flying height.

After both units has entered the map, compare both of their flying height, isn't it the same ?

This indicates that minimum fly height of a flying unit is 0.00 AT ALL TIMES (hard-coded).

Level 4
Apparently you confuse this with "Movement - Height" and "Movement - Height Minimum" in Object Editor...
What you're talking about is "Movement - Height Minimum" when two different units at different "Height Minimum"s look the same in the game because it's the minimum of unit's height when ascending or descending the terrain level...
While what I'm talking about is unit's height at all times, sure unit's "Height" should be less than "Height Minimum" but when minimum is set to 0, you can change the unit's "Height" even to negative values to see the unit underground...
And finally, changing the "Flying Height" via trigger is the same as changing unit's "Movement - Height" in OE... there goes the difference...

Level 28
Defskull: you can go below 0.00 flying height, as long as the minimum height allows you to do so.
However, I couldn't trigger the units to go below 0.00 current flying height.

matisko: I really couldn't trigger it to go below 0.0 flying height.
I tried setting the default flying height to -50 in the OE (which does work), then setting to 0. when the unit spawns (so everything looks normal) and reset the flying height to the 'default height of (unit)' after being targeted by a spell, but that didn't seem to work either. It just won't go below 0. :p
The only other option I have is quite drastic (but it works): create an additional unit for each possible target of the spell, the only difference being the flying height (one normal, one to -50.), then swap them when the spell is cast.

Also, "Target unit of ability being cast" cannot be used after you used a wait in your trigger. You will have to set it to a variable first (if you don't care about MUI / MPI).

Level 20
I suggest you to send the unit to the ground and create a false sand block (like a small volcano) to make it look "stuck on the ground".

You know whay they say.. If you can't lower the unit heigth, increase the terrain height (It could desync and lag and it would still be stuck on ground, not under, that's why i suggest using a dummy effect with the vulcano) ;)

Level 4
Hmmm... interesting ideas fellas, I've been really thinking about the mr. ap0calypse's idea myself, but it's too tricky, maybe I'll need a replacement for such a spell in form of different kind of stuff, but thanks for reactions ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.