• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Crossover 1.30d

Meatmuffin Presents

Crossover
Created by Meatmuffin

Map Info:

Crossover started out as a Hero Arena-type map and over the course of developing it has been improved A LOT.
Now it has different modes and sub-modes!
Modes:

Deathmatch - Has FFA and Teams, with the choice of 5/10/15 round win count. Reach the selected round win count alone, or with a team and win the game!
1v1 - Different arena, quite smaller for better flexibility. Red and Blue faces off in a 1v1 match to come to a conclusion of which is better.
Arena - Every player teams up to battle waves of creeps in different arenas. Each 5 waves there is a boss battle, during which, you must defeat the boss or you lose the game.
Magic Mode - Created in 1.28, this mode gives Bob the Magician for each player in a different arena. Press ESC and for 5 seconds, elements will appear in a circle around you as items and when an item is picked up, you invoke an element. You can have maximum of 3 elements and if you press "Combine", your elements will combine into 1 Crossover spell. Each combination replaces any spells that you currently have.
--
Turns out the mode is a complete trashbag, I will try to make it more rad in the upcoming versions :D

It has 19 different heroes with unique abilities, most are purely triggered.

Features:

Crossover has a picking phase where you get 1/2/3/4 minutes (depending on what the host chooses) to pick a hero. There are adequate descriptions next to each hero for beginners to understand what heroes do. Simply double-click to select the hero.

Burst - three different types of orbs appear on the playing grounds. If a unit walks on the orb, it will launch the unit up to ~1000 range into the direction it's facing. You can only walk on an orb once every 15 seconds. Every 15 seconds the orbs will change locations.

Invisibility rush - Each player gets a Circle of Power in the top-left part of the playing grounds. The circles have 1 ability, making all of the owned units partially invisible. It gives you invisibility every second, but it creates wisps on the trail to show where you are. If teams mode is activated with this, only the team captains will get the circles of power and only they will have to activate Invisibility Rush to make all of the teammates invisible.

About the map-making:

I started this map around mid 2013. Back then, it was the first time I opened world editor and the first versions didn't have a single trigger in them. Up to now, it has been polished and improved and I hope you all enjoy my first ever project.
Shoutout to RGC players that frequently play this map. Also note that this map is open source, any map-maker can open this map without me yelling at them.

Screenshots

Entire map view:
Taken from World Editor.

full

Picking area:
This is the area that allows you to view and study heroes.

full

Round preparation area:
The area where you prepare for the next round.

full

Deathmatch terrain:
The terrain isn't much so I won't put a lot of screenshots of it.

full

Arena mode grounds:
Sample of Arena grounds.

239494-albums8676-picture105396.png

Magic Mode grounds:
Sample of Magic Mode grounds.

239494-albums8676-picture105397.png

Note: These screenshots are from an older version, though that doesn't change the way heroes do battle. ^^
Sasquatch vs Trickster 1:
A screenshot of Sasquatch battling Trickster

239494-albums8676-picture105398.png

Sasquatch vs Trickster 2:
The second screenshot of Sasquatch battling Trickster

239494-albums8676-picture105399.png

Arena Gameplay:
A screenshot of Sky Archer in Arena mode.

full

Changelog:

- Optimised the terrain, replaced shops, rescaled them, added new terrain, such as lava.
- New hero: Zealot

- Removed the periodic message of tree ressurection;
- Optimised Ray of Arrows to make less lag;
- Fixed Air Dive dealing too much damage;
- Creating floating texts above each hero in the picking phase to make it more obvious what is the hero name and how to pick it:
- Each swipe from Blood Flurry now reduces the HP of the Blood Guard by 5%;
- Increased the vulnerability of Reckless Madness 150%->300%;
- Reduced all deathmatch item stock replenish intervals to 1 second;
- Tree destroying abilities no longer destroy pathing blockers.

- Fixed Binding Enchant not working properly;
- Fixed Lightning Lock sometimes bugging out.

- Reworked the mode picking system to make it less keyboard dependant and more friendly to new users;
- The game is now round dependant rather than being kill dependant (you gain 75 gold after each round);
- Reworked the multiboard to be more fancy and informative;
- Reworked the deathmatch terrain to suit the round based game.

v1.30
- Removed income;
- Force Blast charge duration halved (still charges up the same amount of damage);
- Added the Zealot shop to the arena;
- Double-click picking instead of writing -select <hero name>;
- Nerfed Turn Essence (target's life force 55% -> 65%, caster's life force 35% -> 25%).
v1.30b
- Fixed each player having a selector;
- Fixed not being able to sell items to certain shops;
- Fixed Commanding Blade recipe staying after being combined;
- Added invulnerability to all the units when the round is finished to avoid draws.
v1.30c
- Resetted each unit's life after each round;
- Added a status bar on the multiboard that says who is alive;
- Now if the hero dies, any units that he controlled will die with him;
- Created a visibility modifier in FFA mode that lets the dead players see the fight to the end;
- The Blood Guard now can't cast Blood Flurry if his health is below 15%. Additionally, if it drops below that percentage mid-cast, it will immediatly end;
- Reduced Staff of the Snake manacost (30 -> 15);
- Increased the mana regeneration of Rogue Mage (2.00 -> 4.00).
v1.30d
- Fixed a fatal flaw not being able to pick a hero in the Arena mode.

Credits:

Special Thanks:
Special thanks to:
PsYCHzZz, Ramy, Whiteboard, for explaining the basics.
Skudurelis, OmaR|, DEVIL_BOY12, 5togo, xs~, Rhydon, NOVA for testing the map. PsYCHzZz has a map called The Mechanics, you should go check it out. Whiteboard also has a map called Ashenvale Reunion, go check it out too, they are both awesome.
Smiley for promoting the map and spreading it through RGC
Flieskiller for making the first teams mode & multiboard, he also helped me go through unworking triggers.
Charizard for awesome brainstorming, a lot of spells are based on his ideas.
Hive icon credits:
Thanks to Palaslayer, Mullar, ~Nightmare, Praytic, Sansui, Marcos DAB, CRAZYRUSSIAN, SkriK, The Panda, Golden-Drake, Sin`dorei300, OgeRfaCes, PeeKay, KelThuzad for making awesome icons and importing them to Hiveworkshop!

Author's notes:

The map can have minor bugs, if you find any, message me at hive.

[Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
Crossover, hero arena, arena, magic, spells, unique, picking phase, kill count, massacre
Contents

Crossover 1.30d (Map)

Reviews
8th Aug 2016 10:37, 14th Feb 2016 Kam: Set to Awaiting Update: Review

M

8th Aug 2016
Crossover 1.29b is an arena map with variety and entertaining fast paced gameplay.

Starting off, the hero picking isn't great. It isn't atrocious, but it's clunky and time consuming. It also gives little time for the host to decide on the modes. A traditional hero picking system, even the old school DotA way would be much smoother! However, the game isn't hard to learn because of its simple concept, tool-tip descriptions, and informative quests log.

The heroes differ from each other quite a lot by their spells, speed, and other statistics varying in plenty of ways - which is good. Most heroes have unique and cool engaging spells that look good and execute well. The heroes aren't all balanced though. Notably the dragon hero is just much stronger and one of the support heroes not having any offensive abilities leading to pure dread to a player in the FFA game mode. Most of the heroes didn't seem to have a significant edge over others, though, so good job on that. There is also a good amount of items and recipes now compared to what was noted in earlier reviews.

The arenas are pretty generic. There's nothing dynamic about them, but they do a reasonable job for them being playable and not terrible. What you can do is add events, unique pathing, capturables, loot, or other things to spice things up. You should also remove cliffs with no ramps because players can (even though it's a very tiny chance) spawn on them and stay stuck until they die as I did in the FFA arena.

The visuals are just average. There's a lack of general decoration and doodad placement. What makes up for it are the triggered spells which look great and aren't too flashy and over the top.

Overall, the map can definitely be improved but there is no absolute need for it. Recommended for arena lovers and people into simple maps. Many things seem to have been fixed and improved since Kam's review as well. Map approved, I give it a 3.4/5 :)

10:37, 14th Feb 2016
Kam:

Set to Awaiting Update: Review

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 2
Well done mate , I had fun while playing it.

Heroes are great , Modes & Spells are awesome especially the Dagger Chaos spell that look like someone dancing & pissing around :p

The thing i hate is the mana of heroes.

Anyway, Good Job & Keep it on.

Everyone should try Crossover map, its funny & need skills :)

Level 11
If the screenshots were placed in a private album, they aren't being visible to other players except you. You should set that album to public. Hope that will fix.

Do the pictures have to be in a hive album? Because I used postimg.org, that's probably the problem.

EDIT: Reuploaded screenshots using a hive album.

Last edited:
Level 14
Do the pictures have to be in a hive album? Because I used postimg.org, that's probably the problem.

EDIT: Reuploaded screenshots using a hive album.

About that "Do pictures have to be in a hive album", I don't think so. I tried using the BB Codes of showing a image from another website and it worked.
It's strange how the pictures can only be view from you except everyone else..

By the way, I like how you make the hero selection (viewing stats, advantages and disadvantages).
I downloaded the map but I haven't tried it out yet. So I'm still in progress.
Good luck on your first project! :)

Level 11
About that "Do pictures have to be in a hive album", I don't think so. I tried using the BB Codes of showing a image from another website and it worked.
It's strange how the pictures can only be view from you except everyone else..
I'll try to do the same, thanks for the advice.

By the way, I like how you make the hero selection (viewing stats, advantages and disadvantages).
I downloaded the map but I haven't tried it out yet. So I'm still in progress.
Good luck on your first project! :)

Thanks, means a lot because I spent a lot of time working on that hero phase, it even got corrupted at one point and I rollbacked termendously..:D
I'm thinking about adding an ability that picks the hero instead of writing -select <hero name>. Too many people are confused and/or don't know the hero names, thus, randoming.

Of course you can't test the map alone and come out with a full opinion, but I'm glad you liked it at first glance.:p

Kam Review

Cons:

-Hero selection system is awkward, I suggest using:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...3-a-192082/?prev=search=selection&d=list&r=20
-Terrain is lacking. There could be far more detail and and variation in the tileset and doodad palettes. Read through this:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...78/ultimate-beginners-terrain-tutorial-35233/
-Items are severely lacking in number and complexity/interest (There are two identical shops adjacent to each other?)
-The main arena is asymmetrical, I suggest against this as depending on where a hero starts they have access to basic items faster
-The periodic message about tree regrowth should be removed
-I should not need to wait for empty player slots to be skipped
-No AI support

Pros:
-QWER key setup is always preferred
-I tried 6 heroes and the spell sets were diverse and interesting. You could enhance them though with triggers.

Overall:

You have a good start to a hero arena. Where this is lacking is in detail and complexity.

Level 11
Hey Kam, thanks for the review.

-Hero selection system is awkward, I suggest using:
Ultimate GUI Hero Pick System 2.3

I'm not planning on importing any systems, but I'll think about optimizing the system a bit.

-I tried 6 heroes and the spell sets were diverse and interesting. You could enhance them though with triggers.

The first ~6-7 heroes are with less triggers. From that point on, most of the abilities are triggered completely.

All the other points are valid, I'll think about how to improve them, especially the terrain, though I don't think it's THAT lacking.
AI support is a huge no, I'm not planning that under any circumstance.

Level 11
Bump, bump!

Update 1.29:
- Optimised the terrain, replaced shops, rescaled them, added new terrain, such as lava.
- New hero: Zealot

- Removed the periodic message of tree ressurection;
- Optimised Ray of Arrows to make less lag;
- Fixed Air Dive dealing too much damage;
- Creating floating texts above each hero in the picking phase to make it more obvious what is the hero name and how to pick it:
- Each swipe from Blood Flurry now reduces the HP of the Blood Guard by 5%;
- Increased the vulnerability of Reckless Madness 150%->300%;
- Reduced all deathmatch item stock replenish intervals to 1 second;
- Tree destroying abilities no longer destroy pathing blockers.

New hero!

Description

Zealot

Binding Enchant

Shock Burst

Lightning Lock

Force Blast

The Zealot "Mambo" is a unique hero which primarily depends on synergizing with other heroes and dishing out a lot of magic damage. What makes it original is that this hero doesn't have to synergize with an ally to gain advantage! Without further ado, I present to you - Zealot!
239494-albums8676-picture107025.png
239494-albums8676-picture107026.png
239494-albums8676-picture107027.png
239494-albums8676-picture107028.png
239494-albums8676-picture107029.png

Level 32
Crossover 1.29b is an arena map with variety and entertaining fast paced gameplay.

Starting off, the hero picking isn't great. It isn't atrocious, but it's clunky and time consuming. It also gives little time for the host to decide on the modes. A traditional hero picking system, even the old school DotA way would be much smoother! However, the game isn't hard to learn because of its simple concept, tool-tip descriptions, and informative quests log.

The heroes differ from each other quite a lot by their spells, speed, and other statistics varying in plenty of ways - which is good. Most heroes have unique and cool engaging spells that look good and execute well. The heroes aren't all balanced though. Notably the dragon hero is just much stronger and one of the support heroes not having any offensive abilities leading to pure dread to a player in the FFA game mode. Most of the heroes didn't seem to have a significant edge over others, though, so good job on that. There is also a good amount of items and recipes now compared to what was noted in earlier reviews.

The arenas are pretty generic. There's nothing dynamic about them, but they do a reasonable job for them being playable and not terrible. What you can do is add events, unique pathing, capturables, loot, or other things to spice things up. You should also remove cliffs with no ramps because players can (even though it's a very tiny chance) spawn on them and stay stuck until they die as I did in the FFA arena.

The visuals are just average. There's a lack of general decoration and doodad placement. What makes up for it are the triggered spells which look great and aren't too flashy and over the top.

Overall, the map can definitely be improved but there is no absolute need for it. Recommended for arena lovers and people into simple maps. Many things seem to have been fixed and improved since Kam's review as well. Map approved, I give it a 3.4/5 :)

Level 11
Okay, after a while, I finally got myself into this map again, so 1.30(c) is out! Full changes are in the changelog in the description, but what I mostly focused on this version, was less awkward mode picking and hero selecting.

I've also noticed that in the previous versions, a kill count based game with a short respawn timer is too fast-paced and chaotic and completely unfriedly (especially to beginners) so I've introduced a round system instead.

What to look in the upcoming versions (if I don't lose my passion for this map):
- Arena random item drops;
- Reworked magic mode with rounds just like in deathmatch because the current one is way too hectic;
- More content (items, modes, heroes) and balance changes (Notably Nature's Guardian, Zealot and Warden getting buffed);
- Bug and lag fixes (I'm looking at you, Binding Enchant and Mechanical Pests abilities :mad: )

Thanks to @StoPCampinGn00b for pointing out the major flaws in the map. I'm not much of a terrainer so I didn't spend much time designing it, I know I can't do better. But I guess a map like this wouldn't require a fancy terrain, would it? ^^

Also I'm glad to say that the Crossover channel in RGC is back on again, I'm trying to get more players so if you're interested, come on over! You can download the client on www.rankedgaming.com