• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] critical strike aura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
hey I've been trying to make a critical strike aura from scratch but I've been unlucky, with my trigger every thing works perfectly except no damage is ever dealt (deals zero multiplied damage) . any help would be greatly appreciated

• Crit Aura
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set loc = (Position of (Attacking unit))
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • ((Attacking unit) has buff Crtical Strike Aura L1) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • -------- -------- Damage Multiplier -------- --------
          • Set CriticalMultiplier = 2.00
          • -------- -------- Random Percentage -------- --------
          • Set RandomReal = (Random real number between 0.00 and 100.00)
          • -------- -------- Critical Percentage -------- --------
          • Set CriticalPercentage = 15.00
            • If - Conditions
              • RandomReal Less than CriticalPercentage
            • Then - Actions
              • Set DamageDealt = ((Damage taken) x CriticalMultiplier)
              • -------- -------- Anti-Infinite Loop -------- --------
              • Unit - Cause (Attacking unit) to damage (Attacked unit), dealing DamageDealt damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Universal
              • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
              • Trigger - Turn on (This trigger)
              • -------- -------- Shows a Red Floating Text -------- --------
              • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads ((String((Integer(DamageDealt)))) + !) at loc with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (100.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%), and 0.00% transparency
              • Floating Text - Change (Last created floating text): Disable permanence
              • Floating Text - Set the velocity of (Last created floating text) to 15.00 towards 90.00 degrees
              • Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to 3.00 seconds
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions

Level 9
Because the "damage taken" does only work with the "unit takes damage" event, not "unit is attacked event"
And since the damage taken event only works for specific units, we use a DDS (Damage Detection System) for that purpose.

There are a few of those in the spell section.
had that feeling however could you recommend me one and if you can, give me a little out line of what to do because I've tried DDS's before but I couldn't for the life of me understand them with "Index this and Damage that" i'm quite noobish unfortunately.

Level 12
Personally I would recomend Bribe's DDS, as it has built in function for damage multiplying, while you can't manipulate the damage dealt with Weep's GDD (and you'd need to trigger the whole thing, while with Bribe's DDS - you'd just need to set few variables and your trigger will be complete) :p

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Weep's DDS does what is supposed to - detect damage.
(+ it doesn ot require unit indexer, fuck inderxers)

The more modern DDSs are kinda like smart phones. Originally, they only detected damage but now they got a lot of extra added.
Camera, internet, weather report, temperature sensor, mp3 player..

The modern DDSs can be useful don't get me wrong, I have not used their features myself even once though which is why I don't use it personally.

Level 9
Weep's DDS does what is supposed to - detect damage.
(+ it doesn ot require unit indexer, fuck inderxers)

The more modern DDSs are kinda like smart phones. Originally, they only detected damage but now they got a lot of extra added.
Camera, internet, weather report, temperature sensor, mp3 player..

The modern DDSs can be useful don't get me wrong, I have not used their features myself even once though which is why I don't use it personally.
YES!!! every thing ingame appears to work exactly as intended so thank you! you have no idea how glad i'am to finally be able to use a DDS, @WereElf considering I still don't 100% understand this "simpler" one that chaosy has showed I think its best if I master this one first before moving up but i'll save that link so thank you for the suggestion!.

btw heres my trigger (I know I have to do custom script remove location udg_loc...)
is therr any other way to make it more efficient/awesome

• Crit Aura
    • Events
      • Game - GDD_Event becomes Equal to 0.00
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set loc = (Position of GDD_DamageSource)
        • If - Conditions
          • (GDD_DamageSource has buff Crtical Strike Aura L1) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
              • Set DamageDealt = (GDD_Damage x CriticalMultiplier)
              • Unit - Cause GDD_DamageSource to damage GDD_DamagedUnit, dealing DamageDealt damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Universal
              • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads ((String((Integer(DamageDealt)))) + !) at loc with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (100.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%), and 0.00% transparency
              • Floating Text - Set the velocity of (Last created floating text) to 15.00 towards 90.00 degrees
              • Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to 3.00 seconds
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions

Last edited:
Level 20
Everything is good and just clean that leak,

In terms of efficiency:
* the if statement about the buff can be place inside the main If ( below the event ) to avoid creating another If.
* Critical multiplier and percentage data values can be initialized on MapInit.
* The real condition about "Less Than" can be "Less than or equal to" to make it more accurate.
* The floating text can be stored on a variable since you have multiple reference from it.

I'm still curious why you need to turn on and off this trigger.

Level 9
Everything is good and just clean that leak,

In terms of efficiency:
* the if statement about the buff can be place inside the main If ( below the event ) to avoid creating another If.
* Critical multiplier and percentage data values can be initialized on MapInit.
* The real condition about "Less Than" can be "Less than or equal to" to make it more accurate.
* The floating text can be stored on a variable since you have multiple reference from it.

I'm still curious why you need to turn on and off this trigger.
idk why either I was told by a friend that it makes an Anti-Infinite Loop or something? and I also have another question which is sorta related if a unit with 17-19 damage attacks a unit while having the buff of doubling its damage, why does it then some times deal 27 damage when 27 isn't one of the multiples?

Level 9
The damage is reduced by the damage reduction based on the defense type of the damaged unit.
ah ok and I where would I put the custom script: RemoveLocation: (udg_loc) because where ever put it makes the floating txt no longer appear
  • Precision Aura
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (GDD_DamageSource has buff Precision Aura L1) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • RandomReal Less than or equal to CriticalPercentage
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Cause GDD_DamageSource to damage GDD_DamagedUnit, dealing DamageDealt damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Universal
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (GDD_DamageSource has buff Precision Aura L2) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • Set CriticalMultiplier = 3.00
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (GDD_DamageSource has buff Precision Aura L3) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • Set CriticalMultiplier = 4.00
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions

Last edited:
Level 9
^ To the very bottom part of the trigger.

Put the other if's inside the else blocks so it will skip the checking when it is already true.
so I did this to remove the leak but now no text ever shows up and if I put the other ifs under the else blocks won't it require the unit to have the previous buff as well?
  • Precision Aura
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_loc)

Level 20
I put the other ifs under the else blocks won't it require the unit to have the previous buff as well?

If the first condition returns a false statement then it will directly go to the else block and will read your second condition as the same way goes to the third condition.

About the text, maybe the turning on and off trigger is the issue, try to delete that both lines to test if the text now works.

Level 9
If the first condition returns a false statement then it will directly go to the else block and will read your second condition as the same way goes to the third condition.

About the text, maybe the turning on and off trigger is the issue, try to delete that both lines to test if the text now works.
I've done this but the trigger does not work now
  • Precision Aura
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
    • If - Conditions
    • Then - Actions
    • If - Conditions
    • Then - Actions
    • Else - Actions
    • If - Conditions
    • Then - Actions
    • If - Conditions
    • Then - Actions
    • Else - Actions
    • If - Conditions
    • Then - Actions
    • If - Conditions
    • Then - Actions
    • Else - Actions
    • Else - Actions
    • Else - Actions
    • Else - Actions
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_loc)

Level 20
Sorry to hear that, return the turn on and off thing ( the else blocks should work ), Im not really familliar with that trick.
If removing the "RemoveLocation" line works then you can remove it but it will cause leaks, maybe some other users can find any solution for that.

Level 9
Sorry to hear that, return the turn on and off thing ( the else blocks should work ), Im not really familliar with that trick.
If removing the "RemoveLocation" line works then you can remove it but it will cause leaks, maybe some other users can find any solution for that.
Hoorah! I completely redid the trigger from scratch and now it's leakless, applies the proper multiplied damage and shows the red text so in other word IT FINALLY WORKS PERFECTLY ! thanks to all that helped especially jakeZinc and Chaosy! I could not have done it with out you! :D

FINAL TRIGGER FOR WORKING CRITICAL STRIKE AURA:

• Precision Aura
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set DamageDealt_Copy = (GDD_Damage x CriticalMultiplier_Copy)
      • Set CriticalMultiplier_Copy = 3.00
      • Set DamageDealt_Copy_2 = (GDD_Damage x CriticalMultiplier_Copy_2)
      • Set CriticalMultiplier_Copy_2 = 4.00
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Set chance = (Random integer number between 1 and 100)
            • If - Conditions
              • chance Less than or equal to 15
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Cause GDD_DamageSource to damage GDD_DamagedUnit, dealing (DamageDealt - GDD_Damage) damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Universal
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Cause GDD_DamageSource to damage GDD_DamagedUnit, dealing (DamageDealt_Copy - GDD_Damage) damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Universal
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Cause GDD_DamageSource to damage GDD_DamagedUnit, dealing (DamageDealt_Copy_2 - GDD_Damage) damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Universal
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_tempPoint1)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.