• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Creating a gate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
So I'm making a strategy-like map (heavily inspired by lord of europe). And one of the things I really missed in LoE was having some gates with your walls. Basically I'd like to create a building (like a wall) with an open and close feature. when you close the gate, it's given a collision path, but when it is open it's collision path disappears. I'm not sure how to do this so I need your help.

Level 5
Just get a regular model with open and close animations, add it a huge collision size and turn it off when it opens, or just place few pathing blockers on it in a line, and kill them when door opens, resurrect when closes.

Yeah, but the problem is that this a a strategy map where players place the gates as if they were buildings so I can't use the pathing blockers you're talking about. I don't quite understand how to turn off the collision path. Explain pls

Level 5
You could you know.. just use a gate where this function is built in?

Haven't found any so far. If you found one mind dropping me a link to thread?

There is a trigger function to turn it off or on, look for it. You can still use pathing blockers, so that when gates are placed, create destructibles with point offsets, then manipulate those.

But I wouldn't be posting to this forum if I had found this trigger. Can you please tell me how to create this trigger?

Level 31
i0bIQ0i.png

Level 6
Continuing from what Chaosy is saying, every gate in the WE can be opened/closed.

You have to make a trigger to open/close it. say, everytime the gate is attacked by a unit, it either closes or opens depending on the current state.

Level 11
Melon

Search for "gate" or "buildable gate" in this forums, there have been quite a few threads about this particular topic already, I myself dealt with your problem last year:)

Chaosy

Also, the current models provided by Warcraft 3 are not suitable! They appear open when a certain Death animation is played, and you cannot input death animation in the Object Editor, only through triggers, and even then you cannot make both vertical and horizontal gates reliably without creating more models.

Level 11
You need new animations names if for example you want to do most of the changes through morph abilities, using different animation tags in the units themselves rather than changing the "open" and "closed" state through triggers.

If you are fine with triggers, then you can make do with the current models. To be frank using triggers with non-buildable gate is probably the best idea.

If you want your gates to be buildable by workers for example I am in favor of simplifying the triggers with a few morph abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.