• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

create too many unit will cause lag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
i m planning to make a map with a high quantity of unit.(around few hundred)

Question 1:
Will this causing lag to ur computer?
will everyone can support this?
(i try create 200 footman in my computer "intel dual core processor and 2Gb ram", my computer usage up to 40% when starting, then drop to 1~6%, when have some unit is die, it up to about 60%)

I'm try to reducing the lag to minimum, coz i knew some of civilian in my country still using very outdated computer.

Question 2:
What causing lag actually? How to reduce it to minimum?

Level 6
I think Like this.

For ? no 1:
Your CPU will not lag, but in other comp that have a lower processor it may cause lag!
Thats why in melee maps people usually not play 5v5 bçoz will lag.

For ? no 2.
Lag may be caused by the size of maps. In case, size of map is depended on the unit, doodads, creeps, import item. More= More chance to lag.

Level 18
1) If you make 200 footman die (or any other executive order) at the same time, it will without a doubt cause lag to nearly all computers. Just making them stand or make a some of them move will not cause lag to most computers.

2) Lag is caused by a lot of actions executed at the same moment. That means if you make a trigger that tells the computer to execute more orders then the computer can execute, the computer will need some time to get all orders done, which is what we call 'lag'.

Level 11
will i use trigger who doing a single action that order 100 unit to partol to a point,
i think it can cause some at a beginning, but will it cause lag after few seconds?

i found when i m pressing "alt" button that show the life bar, my computer usage is up to 40~60% until the unit die, any way to disable life bar?

what is that standard and maximum unit i can create in a time without causing lag? (assume that my computer has 2.0Ghz and 1Gb ram)

any way to reduce lag if i want to use up 100 unit at a same time?
like preload? creating same type of unit? or.....?

Level 15
No, there is no definite way. Even if you preload you just remove the lag when the game loads the unit's stats. So if you want to reduce lag, you can create less units through triggers or you can try and make the units simple. For example you create units with 5 skills. That would cause some lag.
Also, removing leaks can help alot in reducing lag. Please read here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f269/things-leak-35124/
Finally, I have to remind you that creating lots of units at once may cause alot of lag to computers which are not as good as yours. So maybe you should create the units one at a time with a short wait between each one to make it so that the game will not need to take in so much information at once.
Thats all I can say, I really hope it helps you in your map :D.

Level 18
It will cause lag for as long as the trigger is being executed.

I believe there are threads with the same question about the info above a unit's head.

I have no idea. Go test and expend your knowledge :p

Creating a unit is a executed order. Creating 100 is likely to cause lag to some computers. Pre-placing units is like executing orders on the loading screen, which will only cause bigger file size, meaning it will take a little bit longer to load the map. Shouldn't be much of it's only 100 units of decent size. That means that it won't cause lag to get the units on the map, but it will cause lag to execute further orders with them.

As you probably experience with TD's: With every wave you get a little bit of lag if you got a slow computer. Faster computers can take this easily becouse there aren't that many units created at once.

Level 9
Everything depends on map size, efects that unit have and size of the unit. If i create 50-70 units with trigger my computer pause for 1 second, it's normal PC for normal games (i wil update it soon) but normal created units is around 20-40 at one time and no more than 1000 at the map if you go more than this ppls who will not have lag will be limited others will leave when begin the heavy lag

Level 18
There's also 'on the edge'. It's what I had with my old computer. If you have just another program too much open besides Warcraft III (or something else causes high memory use at that moment), it can cause the game to have too much lag, resulting in an immediate disconnection. On my old computer I had that with Dark Lineage Owen 0.3. Sometimes I could play, and sometimes I just waited over 15 minutes just to get disconnected xD

Anyway my point is: If you want more people to enjoy your game, you should do as much effort to prevent lag if you think that's going to become an issue for some people. You'll won't be able to do a stage dive by preventing lag, but your map will surely get less popular if you don't :p

Level 11
more question here sry xD
will model size (i mean scaling value) will be a reason causing lag?
i mean if i'm creating many unit with a same size, will the lag reducing?
the lesser texture memory used up?

some think that i saw in many map that was:
when there are too many unit available, the unit will move 1 sec stop 1 sec, move 1 sec stop 1 sec
i know that not cause by trigger error.

Level 18
No. the scale of a model has nothing (or barely anything) to do with lag or file size. If you create multiple units (both for same or different models) your file size will increase, and when you command an order to all of them at the same time, it will cause lag. More units issuing an order at the same time causes more lag.

EDIT: I just noticed vercas' post while I was typing mine. I've never seen scale causing lag. It's 1 unit issuing an order which gives the computer only 1 command to execute instead of multiple at the same time. The command is the same, so this causes the computer to need less time then ordering multiple units.

Level 21
Blizzard's models are not laging so much than custom/edited models!
Have you ever tried?
I think it is very stupid to think that bigger models are not laging.
They lag because : Moving parts are much bigger and the moving course is bigger, too.
Bigger the model, slower or faster the animations, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.