• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] Crawler (kill dinosaurs and poachers with heavy upgradeable tank)

What should be improved (next to balancing)?

• Better looking terrain.

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • More items (/gunners).

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Optional quests.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • More different enemies.

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Crawler - Mobile Fortress

138114-albums6211-picture66897.jpg

Small update that improves terrain.

Update that fixes tooltips, fixed collision problem with Crawler and dinos mostly and upgrades are now available at the Command Tower instead of the Support Bot (removing the annoying icon appearance and disappearance).

The dinosaurs are back! Poachers from all over the world come to kill dinosaurs for trophies. This is the moment to test your just finished prototype toy: the Crawler. The Crawler is a mobile fortress with several garrisons and equiped with advanced equipment to survive the most deadly scenarios. Next to that it is designed to be compatible with most hard- and software devices, allowing it to be easily upgraded and improved.

This will be your Crawler's first field test. Your main objective is to collect 300 trophies yourself before the Poacher competitors do.

Features:
- Play with a heavily modifyable tank. Buy gunners to add additional firepower (which you can see on the roof of your Crawler). Research to strengthen your Crawler in various ways. Find items to futher enhance your new toy.
- Fight all kinds of different and unique dinosaurs.
- Kill those nasty poachers once and for all!
- Being able to use a wide range of different abilities to play the way you want. Do you want fight close ranged or snipe enemies from a distance?

Not protected:
This map is not protected, you can modify, take things from it and hopefully learn :grin: from it. Do as you like.

Do not move items from one inventory slot to an other inventory slot, this will bug your gunners. Just drop and pick up items if you want to have an item in an other slot.

Models:
* UTN soldier models by Cavman
* M-163b model by Kofi_Banan
* IonTurret by jk2pach
* Konstrukt_SniperMissile01 by Talon the Mage
* Health Power ups (FPS game inspired) By Frankster
* Radar by RightField
* Special Unit by HappyTauren
* ToxicSoldier_v3 by VIRUS_OF_MADNESS
* Barracks by Mechanical Man
* Junkyard by donut3.5
* Therizinosaurus by olofmoleman
* Rhamphorynchus by olofmoleman
* Pteranodon by olofmoleman
* Triceratops by olofmoleman
* Stegosaurus by olofmoleman
* Tyrannosaurus rex by olofmoleman
* Ammo Box by Thrikodius
* Sci-fi Factory by Ket
* US Ranger by qassamzed
* GLA Sniper by qassamzed
* T-72 By Kofi_Banan
* Grassie by HappyTauren
* Helipad by ??
* Parachute by bisnar13
* Destructable Plant by HappyTauren
* Farn by Verdun
* Philodenron_Devansaveanum by Sven
* Fern by olofmoleman

Icons:
* BTNToxicSubstance by zbc
* BTNGaussRifle icons by The_Silent
* metal plating icons by The_Silent
* BTNPlasmaRifle by The_Silent
* BTNRocketFlare by 4eNNightmare
* BTNArtilleryAttack by Praytic
* BTNLightningGlobe3 by Hemske
* BTNg36 by Zombie
* BTNM24 by oh_snap
* BTNshotgun by Zombie
* BTNRadar by SantoRayo[iP]
* BTNGreenSkillz by Mobilize
* BTNGasMask by KaplanHorus
* BTNoicw by Zombie
* BTNWrench by Mr.Goblin
* BTNSystemEng by Captain_Rufar
* BTNAutoRepairBots by Infinitynexus
* BTNPlateBar by -Berz-
* BTNBattery by The_Silent
* BTNAmmodump2 by Zombie

Skins:
* WarfareAimSelection.blp by JollyD
* Healthbar_Epic.blp by Renderer17

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 418
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 334
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 1,152
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 326
  • Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 383
  • (1)Crawler.w3x
    3.5 MB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Level 23
Hehe, I like the concept of this map. Big guns and cruising around killing dinosaurs, huzzah!

Some thoughts:

It seems a bit cluttered. Up to six abilities on the Crawler (one of them a spellbook with even more), a huge pile of upgrades on the Support Bot, marines and/or flags on top of the Crawler, that crazy-detailed selection circle... Maybe make upgrades purchasable from spawn points or factories rather than carrying them around with you? I would also have just gone for Battleships-style items with Phoenix Fire rather than full attacking units snapped to the hero's position, but maybe I'm just sloppy.

Collision on the Crawler seems to be a bit too small (smaller dinosaurs disappear under it sometimes), but I seem to remember hearing there's a maximum radius the game will deal with so maybe that's as big as it can go already. I guess you can't exactly scale the entire world down a bit to fit in...

The support bot might be better as a hero than as a worker? Its icon flickers on and off as it goes from being idle to being ordered around (nice touch).

Art-wise, the Crawler itself seems a bit out-of-place in style. It's got those semi-realtextures, compared to all the other structures (and, well, all the terrain) being made from in-game textures.

Anyway, nice map, could do with a bit moar. :infl_thumbs_up:

Level 17
Thanks for your feedback Rao Dao Zao, those are some good points +rep. :)
Speaking of the gunners/items though, they are actually a mix of Phoenix fire and triggers. The triggers just let them look like they are attacking. But actually the phoenix fire does the real damage.

Concerning the collision size, I can increase the attack range of some dinos. That would probably help a bit.

Level 30
Kind of a nice map and BTW, try to put your screenshots in IMG form like this:

BTW, on to topic, the terrain is nice but dont try to spam grass that much. In some of your screenshot, the terrain looks dry. Add some more tiles to it. Terrain is so flat, use the Raise/Lower or Smooth/Noise Tool. Overall, nice project you have here, good luck!

Level 3
Yes I agree with hell master ahahahaha coz it takes alot of time to open the screenshots in that way and BTW Nice map because I like soldiers and guns and dinosaurs and killing hehehehehe!

I hope you finish the map and good luck!

Level 17
@Hell_Master,

Thanks for the feedback! I will add the images in hide+image tags too than ;). The terrain is flat cause otherwise is would make gunners look really strange, their height in comparison with the Crawler somehow is changed by Raise/Lower in comparison with blizzard cliffs. Plus I dont have enough time overhaul the terrain, but I can add tiles and add/remove doodads/destructibles.

@tunawasabe, glad you liked it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.