• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Crash issue some people experience on my new UMS map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I have an interesting problem that some people are experiencing while loading my new custom map RPG Battle Siege. I myself do not have this issue at all... and many others do not as well. Although some people, especially LABTOP users are crashing the moment the game would begin for them.

I did some research online and have found possible problem causes... According to online, some custom models or doodads may cause some people to crash while they run custom maps, or even some initital triggers may as well.

I do not use any map INIT triggers, everything that would normally be MAP INIT is rather a 0.03 elapsed time. And even if I were to transfer my trigs into INIT trigs I would still only have 3 initial triggers, and they are all trigs I have used in my MTG map and this problem never occurred for that map.

Regarding doodads my map doesnt use any at this point at all. But I am using many custom models, and some date back to 2004. So I have reason to believe it might be one of the custom models that is causing this issue. If thats the case I have to slowly weed them down 1 by 1 and hopefully find the one that is causing the problem. But each model I use is from this website (HIVE) and you would figure their shouldnt be an issue right? Anyhow, any advice or method I can take on this subject to help speed this process up would be much appreciated.

So your map crashes while loading am i right?
Can you somehow tell us the length of the loading progress when it crashes.
If it is less than 1/2 then it is from the imports if it is greater then it is the coding.
But the possible thing is that only imports crashes the map while loading it.
Do you somehow uses Custom Fonts or has an import war3Skin.txt inside?

Level 5
It doesnt crash for me at all... I am trying to help out users that it is crashing for.

What I hear, it crashes for them the moment they press ANY KEY after the loading screen, just before the map would actually load for them.

No custom fonts, no skins.

Do you use custom models with custom textures?

Certain tools like BLPaletter or BLPlab have the ability to remove low quality mipmaps from .blp files to reduce filesize. This causes the map to not load on lower texture settings in the game options.

Have one of your "crashers" set his texture quality to the max setting and check if it works then.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Seeing how this is the year 2013 and WarCraft III is slowly approaching 10 years of age, one should be able to assume everyone is running the game at maximum settings. If not, they are either very stupid or very unfortunate to be using a >10 year old computer.

Tell them to make sure their graphic drivers are up to date and also that they are running in highest quality mode. Laptop graphic drivers are notorious for not working well.

Level 5
Thats what I was figuring. Had to be something with the graphics. I tell people I am playing with all the time... AVOID using Labtops as gaming machines, there are far too many issues, check online, there are many forums disscussing the problems people encounter while gaming on labtops. But its a shame most don't care to listen, or bother looking for a solution... They just blame the map... It must be a bugged map... Well I appreciate the response, I guess these people will have to learn the hard way... Encounter the problem over and over before they attempt anything at all.

Cheers

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Its not the map's fault, but the game. The fact you can break the game easilly is a sign of poor code.

StarCraft II (for comparison) is very difficult to break in such a way. Even if you play at ultra with players playing at low, the game will still keep in synchronization.

Status
Not open for further replies.