• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My map keeps crashing and its so bizzare..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey everyone , i hoped maybe some could help me because i cant figure it out..

Just like many other ppl , my maps started crashing after 1.33.. (fuck 1.33)

But i could usually save them , even my 500mb+ map. I had tried to troubleshoot and find the models which would cause the crash , but it seemed to make zero sense .

In the end i just deleted every custom import and reimported step by step checking what causes the crash and actually ended up restoring the map without any issues at 250+mb while giving up on a few models and getting rid of junk which i didnt use anyway.

Noneless I was rlly relieved that there was still some kind of "coherence" to work with .

Until i had started this new map..

The map is currently 30+mb . Everything went smooth at first until suddenly a few new models which i imported, caused the map to crash. For example one of the old villager models for reforged.

The issue however is , that i can run these models on other maps just fine. At first i thought its the size + these specific models.

So i tried them on my 200mb + map , but no they work just fine.

Then i thought it could be some kind of a combination of models which cause the crush and deleted every model except the model which would cause the crash . This had worked on another map before

This time however , it didnt.

Then I wondered if i could start the game and yes , i can without any issues. I can play with the model , within the map , i can edit the map as much as i can , but i cant reopen the map without deleting the SKIN of the model which causes the crash.

Yes only the skin needs to be gone because i can also open the map just fine without it and the model will look completely white. I also can open the map while having the blp file within the editor , as long as i do not set the model onto the map.

I also tried to set the models to hd but neither that helped.

There is this villager re-reforged set on hive. From that set , i can use the old villager female model without any issue , but if i try to use any of the coloured villagers from the same set , it will crash.

All of this makes zero sense to me. Its like the map is deciding which models will get cursed and which will not and that remains . If it was only 1 model , i could always delete that one skin.. but once the numbers go up , its going to be a huge pain in the ass to always having to reimport the god damn skins..

I also tried to compare my map with the 200mb map within the mpq editor , and the only difference i saw was that this map which keeps crashing lacks the w3t file , but i dont know if thats an issue and if yes , what the fix would be.

Why is this happening? Does anyone has any advice for me? Nothing here seems to make any sense to me ..
Also , is there a chance that the editor somehow needs more than 16gb ram now? Out of curiousity i had checked my ram and it goes reaaaly high at the process of opening the map..But that wouldnt explain why it would pick models/skins to crash on ..

Last edited:
Level 3
Always read this thread if you don't want the game to be screwed up:
Well his issue is nothing like mine tho.. my game doesnt crash/free ingame at all.

Ram (ive 16) wouldnt explain why i can run model X on my 250~mb map , but cant run the same model on my 30~mb map..

Like why would this map need more ram?

Also why can i import other models without any issue but not that one specific model? I can now import 10 models and use them , but not the cursed one..

Do you think the cursed models require more Ram?

Like if i knew its on 100% because of ram , i would actually consider upgrading my ram just for wc3 lol , but i cant explain myself how this is supposed to be a ram issue

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Yes only the skin needs to be gone because i can also open the map just fine without it and the model will look completely white. I also can open the map while having the blp file within the editor , as long as i do not set the model onto the map.
BLP You say? Possibly is a malformed file. A lot of third party, especially older, tools do not make correctly formatted BLP files. Although massive improvements were made during the Reforged process to make the BLP loaded more robust it is still possible some files could cause issues.

I tried to look up the resource you mentioned "villager re-reforged set" however the main result seems to use DDS textures and not BLP textures. If they have changed the texture format, it is possible it was a known issue with the pack and so they have fixed it.

All of this makes zero sense to me. Its like the map is deciding which models will get cursed and which will not and that remains . If it was only 1 model , i could always delete that one skin.. but once the numbers go up , its going to be a huge pain in the ass to always having to reimport the god damn skins..
Why is this happening?
Such unpredictable behaviour can be caused by dangling pointers, buffer overflow/underflow and other such programming errors. Some part of the application memory is corrupted. Such corruption might not affect anything important or might have affected something that causes a crash when processed later. The reason some maps might seem to work fine is because they were subject to different loading order and complexity so the corruption might be less easy to encounter or even harmless in that particular case. In other cases, something important may have been corrupted so the application quickly crashes.

Warcraft III has a long history of being prone to such memory corruption. The Reforged team did try their best to improve code quality and practices to help fix such issues, but it is possible a few edge cases were overlocked.

is there a chance that the editor somehow needs more than 16gb ram now? Out of curiousity i had checked my ram and it goes reaaaly high at the process of opening the map.
It is possible it might use more than 16 GB of memory. The amount of memory used depends on the complexity of the map as well as the size of the asset set used. Reforged has over 30 GB of assets. Some people have reported editor crashes when using too many assets on GPUs with little VRAM.

Level 3
BLP You say? Possibly is a malformed file. A lot of third party, especially older, tools do not make correctly formatted BLP files. Although massive improvements were made during the Reforged process to make the BLP loaded more robust it is still possible some files could cause issues.
Im sry , i meant DDS , blp was from some other model which also happens to be a cursed one
Such unpredictable behaviour can be caused by dangling pointers, buffer overflow/underflow and other such programming errors. Some part of the application memory is corrupted. Such corruption might not affect anything important or might have affected something that causes a crash when processed later. The reason some maps might seem to work fine is because they were subject to different loading order and complexity so the corruption might be less easy to encounter or even harmless in that particular case. In other cases, something important may have been corrupted so the application quickly crashes.

Warcraft III has a long history of being prone to such memory corruption. The Reforged team did try their best to improve code quality and practices to help fix such issues, but it is possible a few edge cases were overlocked.
Sigh.. that sounds bad ..but pre 1.32 i never had issues like this tbh. It all started with this god damn patch.. if only i knew and kept my game at 1.32..

Thanks anyway tho , guess cant be helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.