• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] Crash after placing imported model and texture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
It doesn't happen with lots of models, but it happens every damn time i try to import a nice model from UTM. This time a supply crate. What is causing this?

I imported the model and its texture. Set it to right path(checked it with mdx pather). The model even showed in the preview window. Then I placed it on the map and BOOM crash!

Level 6
When importing models, most of the time the path doesn't need to be changed and can be used normally just fine.

Try re importing the model in another blank map (and don't change the path) and see if it's the problem. If the map ends up crashing as before, you probably did something wrong with exporting the model, or the model itself somehow got corrupted after exporting.

Level 19
I tested it on a blank map and if i dont touch the path, it remains as a checkered box, meaning no texture.

EDIT: After not changing the path and placing it on the map, then changing the path and reopening the WE worked however. There must be a really stupid reason behind this, which I'd really like to know..

EDIT2: It worked for blank map but not for the other map, got back to where I've started :((

Level 6
The model doesn't normally show up until you reset WE (not closing/opening map). If you still have a problem can you point the exact name of the model and I'll do some look?

Level 6
Found the model you were talking about.

I found the model itself in the import manager. Then I exported the file to a folder, made a new map, imported the same file and didn't change the path at all. No problems here. http://i.imgur.com/XNoAQl9.jpg

Like I said, the pathing is fine after importing a model and doesn't need a change unless you need to change for a specific reason like organization.

Level 14
It is a wc3 model. I use it as well in a map and it does not crash.

Maybe you placed it near these clouds from the UTM? I encounter map crashes, when I place too many models from UTM close to these cloud models, I dont know why.

So maybe it is not the crates themselves, rather a combination of things, because you said, it works in an empty map?

Edit: Did you compress the texture? I had the problem once, that the crate's texture in a wrong format (64x64 instead of 256x256) crashed the map.

Level 19
It was the first model from utm to import into my new map. After the crash i imported the starcraft: windows(dont remember the models org. Name) it worked just fine though.

I dont know about the compression. Never did that before. How can i do that? Or if you have it already can you send that?

Level 14
I dont know about the compression. Never did that before. How can i do that? Or if you have it already can you send that?

If you dont know how to do, then everything is fine. It could have been a reason for the crash, but as you did not compress the texture (which might be just resizing the texture in photoshop, or using a tool from the hve), there is no problem here.

I still think, you did something wrong, because it works on my pc and also on Alright's.

Maybe the map crashes without the model as well? As the model works in a blank map on your pc, I think it might be something different.

You could try to add a default stand animation to the model, which is very simple: (I dont know if this helps here though, but it sometimes helps with crashing models)
-Use Mdlx converter to convert the mdx file into mdl.
-Open it using text editor
-Check, if one of the stand animations looks like this (ignore the values after MinimumExtent, they are model specific):

JASS:
Sequences 1 {
	Anim "Stand" {
		[B]Interval { 0, 3333 },[/B]
		NonLooping,
		MinimumExtent { -26.411800, -25.770599, -18.993799 },
		MaximumExtent { 32.882301, 33.243999, 51.746700 },
		BoundsRadius 44.601715,
	}
}

- If not, copy one of the "stand" sequences, and change the number after Sequences to the number + 1
- Change the values in the interval {} brakets to 0 and 3333.
- Convert the mdl back to mdx
-Test, if it still crashes.
- dont change the models path, just change the texture path to the appropriate one.

Credits: I got this method from Rao Dao Zao http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?p=776777&fromattachment=776777#776777

Last edited:
Level 19
Wow, thanks for the detailed answer ill check it right when i come home and post the result

EDIT: Interestingly, converter won't convert it to MDL format. Returns an error...

New edit: I downloaded the newest version it changed to format. But I didn't get what you meant with

"copy one of the "stand" sequences, and change the number after Sequences to the number + 1"

Another edit: I don't know what thing worked but now it works just fine, maybe it's because i was so tired last night. But it works now. Thanks for the help man ^^

Last edited:
Level 14
I meant that, if you open the mdl file in the notepad, you will see a section labeled
"Sequences", if the model is animated. As I know, that supplycrates got some kind of default stand animation (=sequence), it should be there. I encountered problems with not really animated stand sequences in the past, which crashed maps quite arbitrarily - at least so it seemed.

Adding a "default" stand sequence often solved the problem for me, thats why I suggested it. Therefore, you have to copy another stand sequence, add it to the sequences in the notepad file and then adjust the number right behind the word "sequences". Also sequences should not overlap, as far as I know, so the intervals should not contain parts of each other.

To make this easier, I just took the crates from the UTM and exchanged all these stand sequences with a default one for you, to show you, what I meant.

Please test the attached model, if it works now. Note that I am a noob in terms of model-making, so there is no guarantee that this works ...

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=c55eft

Edit: Ah ok good, nice to see it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.