• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Copying and Pasting Units/Spells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So I'm doing a learning with custom abilities and up until now everything went great the tutorials here are god damn amazing.

But I just copied a "buff" and just pasted it to copy all its properties without having to redo everything if I want a variation of it but only change one thing. And my editor CRASHED.
So in beforehand I'd like to ask If I'm risking anything, Should I design everything on an empty map, en then export all the Object Mng. Info?

·So long story short: Is there a downside to copying and pasting Units and/or Spells? Does it create any code trash somehow? To my understanding it copies it but with a different SpellID so there should be no problems right?

·Since we're already here can maybe some one explain me the Attachment points a little more precise?
I'm trying to put a specific effect on the hands of the caster
·Does it have to be a buff or can it be an effect?
·How Does the order work? You can Specify in what point of the spell you want certain animations?
Eg:
1FnsqVW.png

Sorry If it's all a mess, I'm doing my best to figure it out by myself but I don't want to mess anything up. Maybe some one had the same issues before?

Much love to this amazing community.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
For the Art stuff, I believe it's all dependent on the ability being used. If the base ability (let's say Thunderclap) doesn't take advantage of a field like Art - Target, then you can't use it.

The Animation Names only allow 1 animation to be played and you don't have any control over the timing. It also doesn't allow variations, for instance, you can't play Attack - 2, you can only play Attack.

The Attachment Points can be combined together to get effects like you want, but only if they actually exist in the first place.

Your example with Left as point 1, and Origin as point 2, doesn't really make any sense. Origin has no variations and Left needs to be combined with another Attachment Point that it works with (like hands or feet).

For your specific case you would want to use:
Point 1: hand, left
Point 2: hand, right

Level 2
For the Art stuff, I believe it's all dependent on the ability being used. If the base ability (let's say Thunderclap) doesn't take advantage of a field like Art - Target, then you can't use it.

The Animation Names only allow 1 animation to be played and you don't have any control over the timing. It also doesn't allow variations, for instance, you can't play Attack - 2, you can only play Attack.

The Attachment Points can be combined together to get effects like you want, but only if they actually exist in the first place.

Your example with Left as point 1, and Origin as point 2, doesn't really make any sense. Origin has no variations and Left needs to be combined with another Attachment Point that it works with (like hands or feet).

For your specific case you would want to use:
Point 1: hand, left
Point 2: hand, right

Thank you for your answer, makes sense what you're saying. I'll try it out, but for the Attachment points, is there a complete list of points I could use? Or maybe a programm I could use to make my own?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Status
Not open for further replies.