• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Conversation triggers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hey everyone!

I am working on my RPG project for some time now, and I'm having some problems. They might seem simple, but I just can't get it to work how I want it. :(

Here is what I want:

I wish to implement some sort of a typical RPG conversation into WC3. Under this, I mean that there will be a sentence that an NPC said, and the player can react on it via a) , b) or c) or as many options are at hand.

Example:

---

Vilager:

Hello there, stranger. How may I help you?

Player:

a) Any rumors?
b) Do you know where could I buy weapons?
c) Never mind. Goodbye.

---

The player should choose a, b or c by typing in letters. Or perhaps by Dialog boxes? I don't know. I would just like to have a bit more continuous conversation thingy in my map.

So, if a player takes "Any rumors" the villager could say something about rumors, and there would be again some options. Of course, the "conversation" would be logical.

I would really love to hear some opinions, and help about this.

If there are any questions, feel free to ask.

Respect and Regards,

Christina

Reactions: Ash
Level 7
Well, anyone who helps me with it will be included in the credits of my map. Many other similar small things are present, and I plan to have quite an interesting RPG when it's finished. :)

So, any examples of how would you do it? : I

Level 7
Well, actually, I think the type-in would be nicer, because that way, a panned camera, some music, or some camera rotation in the meantime could spice the things up.

That's my opinion thou. :)

Level 29
Check out TKoK's (a rpg) conversation system. It actually gives you the options of choosing things in the left side of the screen.
I think it's made of an image (back ground of the conversation), floating texts or normal texts (for the texts), and then maybe units that you click on to choose.
Make that, it's really awesome :)

Also, wouldn't it be way better (if you choose to type) to click a/b/c etc rather then say them ? RtC gives you the option to do that.

Level 14
Option 3 (assumes basic knowledge of JASS):
Basically, use the keyboard to choose events displayed on the screen. The system isn't multiplayer instanceable.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps.php?id=67v8cz

If you use it, take the conversation system out of there (as opposed to the somewhat outdate version in the JASS section). Be aware though that th conversation and transmission system have some tweaks in that are specific to my map (I think I commented most of them). Hmm...I should probably release a new version.

Level 7
Well, my problem would be that my Jass knowledge is somewhat zero. I might try to "experiment" with it, but then I would need some help. : /

Level 14
Well, my problem would be that my Jass knowledge is somewhat zero. I might try to "experiment" with it, but then I would need some help. : /

You don't need much, just a little. Try the map, see if you like the conversations in it, then if you do take a look at the code. It's designed to be simple to code (simple to code means less chance of mistakes).

Level 7
Well, my jass ranges only as much as I know what is jass, and perhaps what are functions and such. So basically, I know nothing about it.

I looked at it, bu still, it seems complicated for me =(
Any way to get some help handling it, Captain Griffen?

Level 19
Well, actually, I think the type-in would be nicer, because that way, a panned camera, some music, or some camera rotation in the meantime could spice the things up.
Okay I'm on it to create it in GUI.

Edit :

I made an attachment to it,
its not much but it should give you any idea how you can work with it.

If you need any help, ask me.

Attachments

• Conversation System.w3x
    19.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.